Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Premium Fare Deals
Reload this Page >

CX JFK-AKL Premium Economy ~$2200-2300 ($5504 EQD on AA)

Old Feb 12, 17, 10:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP

A few hundred dollars more than the $1900 fare a few months ago, but well worth it for anyone looking to get EQMs and EQDs for AA.

Fare is available almost the whole year, starting in April, except in June, July, and the first half of August.

Seems to allow a two-to-three-day turnaround, but great if you can spend some time there.

41,280 EQM and $5504 EQD, so more than x2 on money actually spent.

BOOKING: On Google Flights, I would use the option to check the price on the CX website, because you can price out a number of flight options with different layover times in HKG.

Make sure NOT to book one of the CX codeshares operated by Air New Zealand! You won't get your EQM or EQD in that case. Sometimes the Expedia or Orbitz sites only give you options with NZ on one or both of the AKL segments.

https://www.google.com/flights/#sear...c=p;a=ONEWORLD
Old Feb 13, 17, 8:28 am
Original Member

Programs: SW A List Preferred
Seems to be available from ORD as well.
Old Feb 14, 17, 2:29 am

This is a fairly typical PE fare on CX. If anything, this appears a few hundred cheaper at times.

Last edited by okrogius; Feb 14, 17 at 2:48 am
Old Feb 15, 17, 12:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K,AA Plat, Marriott Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by okrogius View Post
This is a fairly typical PE fare on CX. If anything, this appears a few hundred cheaper at times.
With the devaluation of AA and how to keep Ex Plat, I'm looking at CX PE to maybe help make it more attainable.

I see some deals posted every now and then (and many starting elsewhere). Generally speaking, are the QR J deals almost always better then CX W deals? I kind of get that vibe here.

Also, what are some good (not great mind you, just good) CX W fares considered here? I was trying to get a CX J ticket ORD-TPE;PVG-LAX for work but couldn't make it work due to our really strict policy; that priced out at about $1600, which I thought was an okay value.
Old Feb 15, 17, 1:15 pm

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by harold View Post
Seems to be available from ORD as well.
If you want all CX metal, there is a 24 layover in HKG.
Old Feb 15, 17, 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by BThumme View Post
With the devaluation of AA and how to keep Ex Plat, I'm looking at CX PE to maybe help make it more attainable.

I see some deals posted every now and then (and many starting elsewhere). Generally speaking, are the QR J deals almost always better then CX W deals? I kind of get that vibe here.

Also, what are some good (not great mind you, just good) CX W fares considered here? I was trying to get a CX J ticket ORD-TPE;PVG-LAX for work but couldn't make it work due to our really strict policy; that priced out at about $1600, which I thought was an okay value.
I picked up a $1940 RT: LAX-HKG-AKL booked into E back in December and thought that was a very good fare. It nets about $5,180 EQD. The same flights are pricing about $100 more atm. I'd like it to drop down again and would very likely book another for a month long southern hemisphere summer trip late this year that would complete my requal.
Old Feb 15, 17, 9:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP

Yea CX PE is quite good value. There have been some great QR deals in the past few months that you have to snag quickly. There seems to be some wide availability on these fares, though, and sometimes they dip below 2000 to AKL.

The thing about the QR J deals is that they usually book into R or I, which earn they exact same EQDs/mile as CX E fares. So (unless I am wildly miscalculating) you'd actually earn more EDQs, on JFK-HKG-AKL-HKG-JFK in CX PE (E fare) than you would on, say, LAX-DOH-BKK-DOH-LAX in QR J (R or I fare). You'd also earn more EQMs (considering the most EQMs AA offers on partner flights is 1.5x).

The difference is, obviously, QR J as a product vs CX PE. And the difference in actual fare, as some of those QR deals were $1700, so a steal. In the absence of those, CX PE is a great deal.
Old Feb 15, 17, 9:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K,AA Plat, Marriott Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by DMPHL View Post
Yea CX PE is quite good value. There have been some great QR deals in the past few months that you have to snag quickly. There seems to be some wide availability on these fares, though, and sometimes they dip below 2000 to AKL.

The thing about the QR J deals is that they usually book into R or I, which earn they exact same EQDs/mile as CX E fares. So (unless I am wildly miscalculating) you'd actually earn more EDQs, on JFK-HKG-AKL-HKG-JFK in CX PE (E fare) than you would on, say, LAX-DOH-BKK-DOH-LAX in QR J (R or I fare). You'd also earn more EQMs (considering the most EQMs AA offers on partner flights is 1.5x).

The difference is, obviously, QR J as a product vs CX PE. And the difference in actual fare, as some of those QR deals were $1700, so a steal. In the absence of those, CX PE is a great deal.
Thanks for the great pointers here. I'm looking to see if I can do a CX W trip July 4th-ish, so this is good info to keep in mind.
Old Feb 16, 17, 1:24 am

Well-priced premium econ is certainly nice, but well priced business is even better.

As an example from personal observations: a month ago CX had an advertised premium-econ sale. Pretty much any west-coast gateway to almost anywhere in SE Asia for around 1.5-1.7k. That sale lasted a couple of weeks, relatively wide-open inventory. I booked YVR-AKL for 1.65k. I suppose semi-long running sale makes it more of a good/great price rather than an exceptional deal (which most QR J posts from North America tend to be).

Last edited by okrogius; Feb 16, 17 at 1:30 am
Old Feb 16, 17, 3:24 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL
Originally Posted by okrogius View Post
Well-priced premium econ is certainly nice, but well priced business is even better.

As an example from personal observations: a month ago CX had an advertised premium-econ sale. Pretty much any west-coast gateway to almost anywhere in SE Asia for around 1.5-1.7k. That sale lasted a couple of weeks, relatively wide-open inventory. I booked YVR-AKL for 1.65k. I suppose semi-long running sale makes it more of a good/great price rather than an exceptional deal (which most QR J posts from North America tend to be).
i saw that CX PE sale last month - didn't know it was a sale though. Figured it was regular pricing so didn't book and missed the deal. Any idea on how often or when CX runs those type of PE sales?
Old Feb 16, 17, 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by XLR26 View Post
i saw that CX PE sale last month - didn't know it was a sale though. Figured it was regular pricing so didn't book and missed the deal. Any idea on how often or when CX runs those type of PE sales?
Haven't been monitoring long enough, but there are reasonable selection of dates for say SIN/BKK for 1.6 at the moment (also advertised) - so this doesn't seem that rare.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: