FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Premium Fare Deals (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/premium-fare-deals-740/)
-   -   AA: SJU-LAX-SJU and vv. for $730 r/t (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/premium-fare-deals/1819412-aa-sju-lax-sju-vv-730-r-t.html)

PurdueFlyer Feb 2, 2017 12:41 am

AA: SJU-LAX-SJU and vv. for $730 r/t

just booked SJU-LAX for $365 o/w. Books into D. 77W on the MIA-LAX sector. Routings via JFK also possible.

The fare is also available for $730 r/t and you can also begin in LAX instead (LAX-SJU-LAX) if positioning to LAX is easier for folks.

Fare is available on Tues / Weds going out through the end of the year. Same day turnaround is possible. Not SUPER cheap, but... cheaper than the PTY fares right now. And MIA-SJU is only 60 miles shorter than MIA-LIR, so that's basically a push. With 7-8 daily flights between MIA and SJU, versus 2 daily flights between MIA and LIR, this may create more attractive combinations for some folks.

pmblinn Feb 2, 2017 6:29 am

Originally Posted by PurdueFlyer (Post 27853513)
With 7-8 daily flights between MIA and SJU, versus 2 daily flights between MIA and LIR, this may create more attractive combinations for some folks.

More options in the event of IRROPS too.

StatusChallenged Feb 2, 2017 9:44 am

just booked SJU-LAX for $365 o/w. Books into D. 77W on the MIA-LAX sector. Routings via JFK also possible.

The fare is also available for $730 r/t and you can also begin in LAX instead (LAX-SJU-LAX) if positioning to LAX is easier for folks.

Fare is available on Tues / Weds going out through the end of the year. Same day turnaround is possible. Not SUPER cheap, but... cheaper than the PTY fares right now. And MIA-SJU is only 60 miles shorter than MIA-LIR, so that's basically a push. With 7-8 daily flights between MIA and SJU, versus 2 daily flights between MIA and LIR, this may create more attractive combinations for some folks.

good call, seeing $660 RT in biz to SJU vs 840 to LIR

skunker Feb 2, 2017 10:35 am

Originally Posted by pmblinn (Post 27854209)
More options in the event of IRROPS too.

And no passport needed for US citizens.

Pat89339 Feb 2, 2017 2:10 pm

This MR has been split out of the LIR thread for greater exposure to the MR Forum.

Pat89339, Moderator Mileage Run Forum

arollins Feb 2, 2017 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by skunker (Post 27855359)
And no passport needed for US citizens.

And you can buy at the duty free stores as well.

bobblevins Feb 2, 2017 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by arollins (Post 27856597)
And you can buy at the duty free stores as well.

What is well-priced at duty free?

arollins Feb 2, 2017 2:38 pm

Cigarettes, I think are $200 or so a box (10 cartons) I don't smoke, but a colleague of mine does and that's the price he's mentioned to me in the past, so don't quote on this. However, I will say that alcohol is good, in comparison with US Duty free. 2 bottles of a litter of rum for around $30. or so. They have some special every so often. My wife has commented that the price on some of the perfumes is good as well.

Yarons Feb 2, 2017 3:10 pm

Originating from LAX you can also route through JFK for extra miles :)

https://goo.gl/flights/x2AR

Can also be booked as one-way ;)

platbrownguy Feb 2, 2017 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by Yarons (Post 27856882)
Originating from LAX you can also route through JFK for extra miles :)

and there is immediately confirmable space to upgrade the LAX-JFK-LAX legs to first using BXP1s, etc.

tempting

GaryZ Feb 2, 2017 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by platbrownguy (Post 27857298)

tempting

Yeah, booked 4 for this month a few weeks ago. ;)

A nice way to use up swu's before end of Feb.

godsavethepoints Feb 2, 2017 9:38 pm

and there is immediately confirmable space to upgrade the LAX-JFK-LAX legs to first using BXP1s, etc.

tempting

The one ways avail for $365 on the LAX-JFK transcon are very attractive for anyone who gets lost in the terminal in NY...

(missed OP's One way comment)...

https://www.google.com/flights/?gl=u...3-29;tt=o;sc=b

SightseeMC Feb 2, 2017 9:56 pm

Also books out of PHX for $22 more, if that's up your alley: https://goo.gl/flights/ttuE

Pro: 7 days a week, even on holiday weekends. Returns through JFK.
Con: A321 with recliner though if you route PHX-PHL-SJU you get the lie flat to SJU; somewhat less miles.

jcatman Feb 3, 2017 7:08 am

tempting

Your idea to use a BXP1 on the transcon hooked me and I've booked. Thanks for a great suggestion.

JNLentertainment Feb 3, 2017 11:52 am

is it doable to do airport to airport jfk to sju -jfk.. arriving april 4 sju 12:48 pm leaving april 4 1:50 pm.. ?

JNLentertainment Feb 3, 2017 11:53 am

yarons, u gonna do that flight?

Yarons Feb 3, 2017 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by JNLentertainment (Post 27861121)
yarons, u gonna do that flight?

Haha nah, I have enough flights for now. Last years MRs gave me a bit of burnout 😕

Also, IMO, no sense in using an upgrade from business to first on the transcon flight. Might be nice if you've never tried it but they're pretty similar in terms of the hard product. The LAX-JFK flights have also been pretty fast recently (~4.5 hrs) so if you only have one to burn do it coming back.

godsavethepoints Feb 3, 2017 4:15 pm

Don't know if it's of use to anyone, but was able to price LAX- JFK with a 7 day stopover in NY before continuing onto SJU. Makes for increased possibilities, or for a New Yorker a half way paid for trip the next week...

Originally Posted by Yarons (Post 27861218)
Haha nah, I have enough flights for now. Last years MRs gave me a bit of burnout 😕

Also, IMO, no sense in using an upgrade from business to first on the transcon flight. Might be nice if you've never tried it but they're pretty similar in terms of the hard product. The LAX-JFK flights have also been pretty fast recently (~4.5 hrs) so if you only have one to burn do it coming back.

JNLentertainment Feb 3, 2017 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by godsavethepoints (Post 27862326)
Don't know if it's of use to anyone, but was able to price LAX- JFK with a 7 day stopover in NY before continuing onto SJU. Makes for increased possibilities, or for a New Yorker a half way paid for trip the next week...

have you

Have you guys tried the airport to airport thingy? Or better to do overnight in sju?

jcatman Feb 3, 2017 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by JNLentertainment (Post 27862346)
have you

Have you guys tried the airport to airport thingy? Or better to do overnight in sju?

Doing a same-day turn at SJU is easier (in my experience) than PTY. There seems to be more flights in and out of SJU, plus you can fly into SJU from JFK, and exit through MIA or even DFW. Just makes it easier to avoid an overnight stay if that is your goal.

SNA_Flyer Feb 4, 2017 9:40 am

Also, IMO, no sense in using an upgrade from business to first on the transcon flight. Might be nice if you've never tried it but they're pretty similar in terms of the hard product.

Agree with this - give it a shot once just to try it, but there really isn't enough difference to justify F to me - the soft product isn't really much better either.

jcatman Feb 4, 2017 10:36 am

Originally Posted by SNA_Flyer (Post 27864628)
Agree with this - give it a shot once just to try it, but there really isn't enough difference to justify F to me - the soft product isn't really much better either.

If you upgrade from J to A on the LAX-JFK transcon flight, you should have access to the Qantas First lounge located in the Tom Bradley International Terminal at LAX. This provides you a chance to enjoy a restaurant-style meal and enhanced cocktails before your flight. Thus, if you are on a redeye, you can board the plane and settle in for an attempt at some quality sleep instead of gambling on the "snack" being provided on the AA flight. In my experience, the biggest difference between Business and First on this plane is the quiet atmosphere of First. Upgrading the transcon segment using a Business Extra one-segment-upgrade Certificate provides a great value.

dannyboy888 Feb 4, 2017 5:11 pm

This is a great deal. I sort of view this as a trip from LAX to JFK with an extra mileage run tucked on one side of it. It booked out cheaper for me to do the SJU turn on the first day then I can just fly home direct on the way home.

$791 for:
LAX to JFK + JFK-SJU-JFK
Stay in NYC for 2 days
then fly back JFK to LAX
Best part is the 32B aircraft there and back.

16k EQM for 4.9 CPM

dannyboy888 Feb 4, 2017 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by jcatman (Post 27859669)
Your idea to use a BXP1 on the transcon hooked me and I've booked. Thanks for a great suggestion.

Thanks for mentioning this. I looked up what it meant and eventually signed up for Business Extra after spending a good amount of time reading/learning. It's a nice way to earn some extra perks.

GaryZ Feb 4, 2017 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by jcatman (Post 27864830)
If you upgrade from J to A on the LAX-JFK transcon flight, you should have access to the Qantas First lounge located in the Tom Bradley International Terminal at LAX. This provides you a chance to enjoy a restaurant-style meal and enhanced cocktails before your flight. Thus, if you are on a redeye, you can board the plane and settle in for an attempt at some quality sleep instead of gambling on the "snack" being provided on the AA flight. In my experience, the biggest difference between Business and First on this plane is the quiet atmosphere of First. Upgrading the transcon segment using a Business Extra one-segment-upgrade Certificate provides a great value.

Nicely said. It's rare to be able to use those near useless SWUs on domestic inventory, but this is definitely one of those times. ^

foxyankee Feb 5, 2017 2:29 am

Stops in JFK AND MIA possible?
Stopover in JFK AND MIA possible?

Google is not willing (;-) to give me the cheap fare, the total jumps to minimum 1400 USD.
But maybe it is just a IT glitch and the farerules are allowing these stops?

afrugal1 Feb 5, 2017 10:18 am

Thanks for the heads-up on this excellent fare, op.

platbrownguy Feb 6, 2017 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by jcatman (Post 27859669)

^

xenole Feb 7, 2017 8:08 am

I'm tempted to book one of these although from.a BA tier points perspective, 360 is pretty bad compared to last year's 1200ish for much the same price.
If I do do one, I'll fly into LAX, and get the 10pm flight to JFK, head down to SJU and do the turnaround an hour later.
Got a $500 voucher so that will take the cost down to £175 or so for me.

Have managed to get one extra stop at the expense of a transcon but beyond that, the price seems to increase by £300ish if I add any extra stop.

beachfan Feb 7, 2017 5:14 pm

Very interesting! What site did you use to purchase ?

Thanks!

Flying Buccaneer Feb 7, 2017 7:11 pm

I'm still seeing the fare. However, it looks like the routings via JFK have jumped to $1274-$1281, at least on the dates I am checking in April and July.

jcatman Feb 7, 2017 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by Flying Buccaneer (Post 27879561)
I'm still seeing the fare. However, it looks like the routings via JFK have jumped to $1274-$1281, at least on the dates I am checking in April and July.

You are right! Another reminder that you have to quickly jump on these fares, especially if the price includes the transcon flights from LAX to JFK.

xenole Feb 8, 2017 3:36 am

Should have jumped on that as well.

Been playing around with multiple flights and there's not much scope. Add a stop and the price goes up by £200-£300+.

Found a same day turnaround i.e. leave LAX at 00:55am and get back same day PST.

Can also get the odd LAX-MCO-MIA-LIR (late departure) / LIR-MIA-CLT-LAX (00:33am arrival) for a few extra tier points for us Brits @ £598.

Did find one or two that get you back into SFO at 00:57am and then you fly to LAX at 5:40am. Done that before....easy enough sitting around the airport for 3hrs and then showering and breakfasting in the Admiral's Club when it opens after 4am.

The odd bit of similar pricing for LIR but generally Tues/Wed.

Added: It would make things easier if AA.com could actually display the correct flight times.
eg AA111 from LAX-LAS. One search, with onwards travel, shows it leaves LAX at 11:05pm. Try to book it and the site won't let you. Search just for that flight at it leaves at 9:05pm.

MightyTravels Feb 15, 2017 11:06 am

Aa: Lax-sju $728 rt

https://photos.smugmug.com/Fare-Deal....50%20AM-M.jpg

This comes and goes so not sure how 'new' it is.

- books into D, which is 150% on AS for instance

- usually routing via JFK works for more miles and better service

SNA_Flyer Feb 15, 2017 11:26 am

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/premi...v-730-r-t.html

Rowyourboat Feb 15, 2017 11:27 am

Nice find! I see LAX-PHL-SJU for that rate, ex. https://goo.gl/flights/Pw6l. Almost as many miles as JFK, but without lie-flats. Should be approximately 8K flight miles, so 16K EQM on AA and 12K EQM on AS. up to ~8K RDM on AA and up to ~22K RDM on AS.

Works out to 6cpm for AS. For BA, I think it's 360 TP RT.

Did you find LAX-JFK-SJU or LAX-JFK-MIA-SJU on any date?

xenole Feb 16, 2017 1:17 am

I booked LAX-MIA-SJU-MIA-LAX with a 3-class plane on the MIA-LAX sector (decided against making an extra stop this time for a flat bed).
2h32 layover in MIA on the outbound so time for a shower and breakfast after the overnight flight. 2 x lunch + dinner as well so for once it will be more than just diet Dr Pepper on nearly every flight ;)

JFK would have been preferred or a flat bed on the outbound, but assuming all goes to plan, can technically do it all in a day and I get back to LAX before 9pm.

Blew a $500 transportation voucher on it so a little over $200.

Light Travellers Feb 16, 2017 2:24 am

Thanks to this thread we've just booked our first deliberate TP run. We're in LAX early April and needed to be in MIA. It was far more cost effective to fly via SJU. Probably not the best deal but at $2.30 a TP and using day flights at reasonable times, we have no complaints.. In the past flying business to MIA would have seemed an unnecessary extravagance, but again thanks to FT we now measure cost by TP's
LAX-SJU via MIA. Next day SJU- MIA. Week later MIA-LAX. 360 TP's
I'm also grateful to the links that take you straight to the American google searches in $'s. From the UK I can only get £'s. Booking in dollars allows us to use the American credit card with 3% cash back. I'm quite sure someone will know a better way to use google search in $'s but I haven't found out other than using someone else's link.
Thank you all again for your searches.

SpammersAreScum Feb 16, 2017 9:56 am

Originally Posted by Light Travellers (Post 27916277)
Thanks to this thread we've just booked our first deliberate TP run. We're in LAX early April and needed to be in MIA. It was far more cost effective to fly via SJU. Probably not the best deal but at $2.30 a TP and using day flights at reasonable times, we have no complaints.. In the past flying business to MIA would have seemed an unnecessary extravagance, but again thanks to FT we now measure cost by TP's
LAX-SJU via MIA. Next day SJU- MIA. Week later MIA-LAX. 360 TP's
I'm also grateful to the links that take you straight to the American google searches in $'s. From the UK I can only get £'s. Booking in dollars allows us to use the American credit card with 3% cash back. I'm quite sure someone will know a better way to use google search in $'s but I haven't found out other than using someone else's link.
Thank you all again for your searches.

"the American credit card with 3% cash back"? Please elaborate.

Have you tried using "https://www.google.us"? For me in the US that redirects to google.com; for you, who knows. Worth a try?

dannyboy888 Feb 16, 2017 6:38 pm

I just got a "Schedule Change" email and they changed my original JFK routing through Miami instead.
So now I'm doing LAX-MIA-SJU-MIA-JFK. My return flight thankfully didnt change for JFK-LAX.