FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Premium Fare Deals (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/premium-fare-deals-740/)
-   -   LHR-Asia/Oz for £1100/1500 on MH (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/premium-fare-deals/1812099-lhr-asia-oz-1100-1500-mh.html)

Funky Spike Jan 3, 2017 10:20 am

Originally Posted by dannyrado (Post 27696751)
This is a lovely deal. Managed to price it all up to around £1.5k for the Singapore GP in September. That was including a junior suite with lounge and breakfast for three nights, in a nice looking 4.5* close to the circuit...

Pity I have no friends, or at least, I have no freinds that can afford a weekend in SG. 😂

I did the Singapore GP a couple of years ago, my spending was somewhat helped out by BA16 going tech on the day after the race, €600 back, thank you very much.

Spike

rossmacd Jan 3, 2017 10:53 am

Originally Posted by roy2016 (Post 27697387)
Unfortunately, I guess you have to play with the dates on ebooker one by one then, get yourself a beer/popcorn handy :)

Thanks ^:D

Originally Posted by dodgeflyer (Post 27697389)
Do you have access to EF? If so, it should work as long as you find Z availability on the L/H portion. S/H seem to book into C.

Yes, I have EF. And the longhauls have plenty of Z availability, but still no luck. This one doesn't like me for some reason! :)

dodgeflyer Jan 3, 2017 10:58 am

Originally Posted by rossmacd (Post 27698107)
Thanks ^:D

Yes, I have EF. And the longhauls have plenty of Z availability, but still no luck. This one doesn't like me for some reason! :)

That's weird. I booked BKK and that to me was the killer for availability. What dates you looking at?

rossmacd Jan 3, 2017 11:11 am

Originally Posted by dodgeflyer (Post 27698131)
That's weird. I booked BKK and that to me was the killer for availability. What dates you looking at?

Anything really - August, September, October. What I have found is that departing on a Saturday returning on a Sunday is giving better prices.

dodgeflyer Jan 3, 2017 11:17 am

Originally Posted by rossmacd (Post 27698211)
Anything really - August, September, October. What I have found is that departing on a Saturday returning on a Sunday is giving better prices.

Sure you're not falling foul of a Saturday night stay? Don't think anyone has found the full fare rules.

I found this - picked a random date, Z availability confirmed with EF.

10:20 - to 12:05
Malaysia Airlines
18h 45m
LHR - to DPS
1 stop
2h 15m in KUL
Arrives Fri, 18 Aug
Expedia Special Fare
Malaysia Airlines
19:20 - to 05:55
Malaysia Airlines
17h 35m
DPS - to LHR
1 stop
1h 0m in KUL
Arrives Sat, 26 Aug
Expedia Special Fare

Price £1,622.48
Your Savings -£589.25
Taxes & Fees £203.91
Total: £1,237.14

£ 100 cheaper if you do an overnight layover in KUL on the return.

msm2000uk Jan 3, 2017 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by dodgeflyer (Post 27698261)
Sure you're not falling foul of a Saturday night stay? Don't think anyone has found the full fare rules.

I found this - picked a random date, Z availability confirmed with EF.

10:20 - to 12:05
Malaysia Airlines
18h 45m
LHR - to DPS
1 stop
2h 15m in KUL
Arrives Fri, 18 Aug
Expedia Special Fare
Malaysia Airlines
19:20 - to 05:55
Malaysia Airlines
17h 35m
DPS - to LHR
1 stop
1h 0m in KUL
Arrives Sat, 26 Aug
Expedia Special Fare

Price £1,622.48
Your Savings -£589.25
Taxes & Fees £203.91
Total: £1,237.14

£ 100 cheaper if you do an overnight layover in KUL on the return.

There shouldn't be a Saturday night stay issue with this booking, so it won't be that.

Likely down to availability.

M

global_cb Jan 11, 2017 3:15 am

I reactivated an old account purely to say thanks. I just booked LHR-KUL-MEL-KUL-LHR for £1,487.85. I wouldn't have known about this deal if it wasn't for the good people here.

As a bonus, I get one night in the shittest hostel in Melbourne!

roy2016 Jan 11, 2017 4:54 am

Originally Posted by global_cb (Post 27742086)
I reactivated an old account purely to say thanks. I just booked LHR-KUL-MEL-KUL-LHR for £1,487.85. I wouldn't have known about this deal if it wasn't for the good people here.

As a bonus, I get one night in the shittest hostel in Melbourne!

+1
I would like to know if we need to actually stay at this type of hotel as the fare is attached with the hotel booking. Would it be similar like you abandoned one of the segments for your flights if you skip the hotel? I would like someone could share their exp with this type of bookings, and I want to make sure there isn't a problem with skipping the hotel booking and just use this fare instead. Thanks

namdas Jan 11, 2017 5:09 am

I ummed and aaahed but I couldn't justify 4 business class tickets for the family...

Good news is, this fare works in Economy too so booked 4 tickets to DPS during school holidays for 1250ish.. potentially 6% cashback on flight and hotel at ebookers right now too. Thanks OP! :cool:

global_cb Jan 11, 2017 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by roy2016 (Post 27742383)
+1
I would like to know if we need to actually stay at this type of hotel as the fare is attached with the hotel booking. Would it be similar like you abandoned one of the segments for your flights if you skip the hotel? I would like someone could share their exp with this type of bookings, and I want to make sure there isn't a problem with skipping the hotel booking and just use this fare instead. Thanks

I don't think you need to worry. There are 2 reservations behind the scenes - one at the hotel and one with the airline.
the hotel is fully pre-payed, so the flea infested backpackers isn't going to care if you don't turn up.

maxvor Jan 11, 2017 3:03 pm

Not an expert in APD, but my understanding is that I can get back some 150 EUR on this deal from MH if I connect on separate ticket from, let say, AMS (<24h). Is that right?

a9504477 Jan 11, 2017 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by maxvor (Post 27745458)
Not an expert in APD, but my understanding is that I can get back some 150 EUR on this deal from MH if I connect on separate ticket from, let say, AMS (<24h). Is that right?

Not an expert either but i think this does not work for separate tickets.

UncleDude Jan 11, 2017 4:11 pm

It does is the stopover is more than 24 Hours, also likely to work if you do 2 separate Reservations and don't ask for your bags to be checked through.

Just allow at least 6 hours to connect.

global_cb Jan 12, 2017 12:17 am

Originally Posted by UncleDude (Post 27745799)
It does is the stopover is more than 24 Hours, also likely to work if you do 2 separate Reservations and don't ask for your bags to be checked through.

Just allow at least 6 hours to connect.

This is interesting for me too - i.m connecting on a separate ticket from MUC.

I flicked through a number of discussions on is topic and I don't think it applies with 2 seperate tickets.
https://www.gov.uk/government/public...nected-flights

4.4 Tickets
In addition to the time related criteria, the agreement for carriage must be evidenced by a ticket which must show the:

airport from which the passenger intends to depart
date and time of his intended departure
airport at which he intends to arrive
The connected flights must be detailed on the same ticket or conjunction tickets to qualify for the exemption. Tickets can only be regarded as conjunction tickets if:

a. they are in one booklet, or

b. where they are in separate booklets:

each refers to the other and states that they are to be read in conjunction
there is a summary of the flights constituting the passengers journey including the flights in question
Although the flights may meet all the other criteria for determining whether 2 flights are connected, they will only qualify for the exemption if the connection is evidenced on the ticket or a flight summary.

‘Scheduled time’ means the time indicated in the operator’s timetable for the flight at the time the ticket was issued.
I'm happy to be proven wrong... I'd love an addition £146 back on this deal!

Jetstreamer Jan 12, 2017 8:47 am

You will not get any APD rebate from MH for connecting from another country on a separate ticket.

mrwzee Jan 12, 2017 12:50 pm

Does anyone know how I can calculate what taxes would be refunded if I had to cancel the flight. I understand its non-refundable but if my work schedule changes are there some government taxes I could get back for the flights to sooth my wounds?

rachelandgromit Jan 13, 2017 1:42 am

Even Cheaper!

I was playing around with this, and for example you can get this a bit cheaper such as £1450.42 for London to Melbourne.

You need to make sure your trip is before 1 September and book a minimum of 2 nights accommodation, so a crap hostel if you like. You can then enter the promo code AFFBOXP0117 which reduces price to £1450.42, maybe cheaper depending on what hostels you find. It didn't work on 1 night hostel stay. I'll do a screen shot in a minute.

rachelandgromit Jan 13, 2017 1:44 am

https://i.imgbox.com/KqLRMpIM.png

Voucher is for £50 off.

rachelandgromit Jan 13, 2017 2:02 am

£1460.76 Sydney

https://i.imgbox.com/2VMVA4xy.png

Swiss Tony Jan 13, 2017 2:55 am

rachelandgromit - what site is that you're looking at?

Thanks

rachelandgromit Jan 13, 2017 3:25 am

Originally Posted by Swiss Tony (Post 27753770)
rachelandgromit - what site is that you're looking at?

Thanks

It's the Ebookers site. As per the OP description but if you are travelling before 1 September go all the way to checkout and enter the code.

SunnySomerset Jan 13, 2017 11:18 am

OMG - thank you!!

I just booked LHR to Melb return with Malaysian for £1501!! Also joined up topcash - see what happens there.

SunnySomerset Jan 13, 2017 1:20 pm

... and just got £60 back from Topcash!:D

IAN-UK Jan 13, 2017 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by SunnySomerset (Post 27756642)
... and just got £60 back from Topcash!:D

Those chickens usually do hatch. Eventually. But probably best not to count them before they do ....

rachelandgromit Jan 13, 2017 11:14 pm

Have to say Ebookers is pretty reliable on TCB tracking and paying out. Just last year alone I had well over £200 from them.

mkdoc Jan 15, 2017 10:57 am

Originally Posted by rachelandgromit (Post 27758706)
Have to say Ebookers is pretty reliable on TCB tracking and paying out. Just last year alone I had well over £200 from them.

Annoyingly work will not confirm if I can take the leave- does anyone know the change fee?

onemoretrip Jan 25, 2017 9:24 pm

Thanks OP :D ^

LHR-SYD-LHR in early June for £1,527 plus Topcashback. £20 off with code AFFCITY117.

Fare seems to be active still.

IAN-UK Jan 25, 2017 10:46 pm

Originally Posted by onemoretrip (Post 27818723)
Thanks OP :D ^

LHR-SYD-LHR in early June for £1,527 plus Topcashback. £20 off with code AFFCITY117.

Fare seems to be active still.

I might be being thick (it happens :D) but nowhere can i find the opportunity to add a discount code, even chasing it through to the credit card entry page.

Any guidance?

Epicura Jan 26, 2017 6:22 am

It's on top of the payment form/final page "apply voucher".

Unfortunately it didn't work for me; voucher was applied succesfully but payment did not go through. Only after I removed the voucher. Oh well, 1123 GBP to DPS for a last-minute booking is still a good enough deal. Thank you OP!

IAN-UK Jan 26, 2017 7:33 am

Originally Posted by Epicura (Post 27819956)
It's on top of the payment form/final page "apply voucher".

Unfortunately it didn't work for me; voucher was applied succesfully but payment did not go through. Only after I removed the voucher. Oh well, 1123 GBP to DPS for a last-minute booking is still a good enough deal. Thank you OP!

Thanks for that - I see it now! Enjoy Bali...

wmaciej Jan 27, 2017 12:40 am

For these of you who have booked this ride - what is the fare code and/or what are the changes and cancellation fees?

dodgeflyer Jan 27, 2017 1:05 am

Originally Posted by wmaciej (Post 27823903)
For these of you who have booked this ride - what is the fare code and/or what are the changes and cancellation fees?

Z for the long haul, C for short hauls.

Absolutely no changes or cancellation permitted.

wmaciej Jan 27, 2017 2:20 am

Originally Posted by dodgeflyer (Post 27823959)
Z for the long haul, C for short hauls.

Absolutely no changes or cancellation permitted.

Thanks!

IAN-UK Jan 27, 2017 7:29 am

Originally Posted by rachelandgromit (Post 27758706)

Yes, but you have to watch the T&C - many travel providers can invalidate the cashback claim if a voucher has also been applied. So with such a great fare, it's probably best not to be too greedy in chasing further discounts.

Note that Quidco is offering 6% for the next couple of days. But also note the cashback generally applies only to the "fare" portion of the ticket, not to the whopping tax-etc bill that gets slapped on this ticket.

heb999 Jan 27, 2017 9:50 am

Thanks for posting this fare. I have booked two business class fares to Bali (DPS) from LHR on Malaysia Airlines with one night in a four star hotel (we are spending the rest of the time in Raja Amput) for £2557.00. A real bargain. I see that the deal ends on 31/01/17.

Christian K Jan 30, 2017 1:48 pm

Question: does anyone by any chance know whether it's possible to get the Expedia/ebookers flight and hotel combo discount on a multi-destination itinerary? Also, has anyone managed to push down the price for first class or does it only work for business?

thanks so much for any help! Highly appreciated!

konagirl2 Jan 31, 2017 10:32 pm

And the beat goes on... Although the MEL/SYD/AKL fare has expired, MH have loaded another sale fare LHR-PER/ADL at GBP1700 until end of Feb (there may also be other options).

If staying less than a month on a simple return, you can include a hotel for one night on ebookers to bring the price down to GBP1500.

Note the flights aren't as good as SYD/MEL, for example ADL is only 4 days per week and the return has a 9 hour layover, although stops and side trips are allowed. But I need a >2 month stay so the base fare is good for me.

Also LHR-KUL in F, KUL-PER/ADL in J is GBP2700.

Thanks to henkybaby and Ausriver for highlighting the original sale (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/premi...-1999-gbp.html).

GoAround2 Feb 4, 2017 8:46 am

Does anyone know how long this fare will be alive / what is the last day to book?

I can't seem to find the fare rules stating this.

Thanks!

konagirl2 Feb 5, 2017 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by GoAround2 (Post 27864465)
Does anyone know how long this fare will be alive / what is the last day to book?

Thanks!

If you go to MalaysiaAirlines.com and select the flights, on the 'Itinerary Summary' page there is a link to the top left of the flights to 'view fare rules'. In the case of LON-ADL ZBT23GB Section 16 " ** reservations must be made and tickets issued on/before ** 28feb 17"

I suspect that by adding a hotel+flight at ebookers (and saving GBP200) the change/cancellation fees change to those set by the OTA and I have no idea where those are hidden!

obduro Feb 5, 2017 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by GoAround2 (Post 27864465)

Thanks!

Hard to say. The fare rules are only part of the issue as the deal that reduces the fare is related to eBookers and their advertised sale that this was part of ended some time ago.

Usual rules therefore apply, book as soon as possible if you want to make use of this as it's not unusual for popular fares to be withdrawn early.