Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Premium Fare Deals
Reload this Page >

QR/EY/AF: CAI-US as low as $1,300 r/t in J

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 7, 2016, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Richmond_Surrey
eDream ticketed airfares have been cancelled by themselves (travel agent == eDreams). Majority of people have confirmed this situation. Likely due to FX rate was 'unfair' to them.
Direct issued tickets by Qatar are fine.

Visa Currency Exchange Rate Calculator: https://usa.visa.com/support/consume...alculator.html
Mastercard Exchange Rate Calculator: https://www.mastercard.com/global/currencyconversion/
AMEX is reported to use the FX rate the day before -OR- uses Oanda. So be wary (unconfirmed, but reported a few times)

To pay directly in your home currency (DCC) on Qatar's site, you will need to use Mastercard or Visa. The option will show up once you've filled credit card number. The exchange rates are provided by Monex Financial Services for the day of the transaction +3% fixed conversion charge

Accordingly, you should check your country's requirements for entry into Egypt. They offer 25$ single-entry stickers in the arrivals hall for a limited number of nationalities. Or you can apply for multi entry tourist visa which will be cheaper than 2 single visas bought at the airport.

Visa fees at Egyptian Consulate website for UK: http://www.egyptianconsulate.co.uk/Visas_Fees.php
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2016, 10:31 pm
Original Poster

It seems available through next year. CAI-JFK/ORD/DFW/HOU/ATL/IAD/LAX/etc

CAI-JFK - https://goo.gl/flights/X1Ko
Old Oct 25, 2016, 11:20 pm

Programs: UA1K; AA EXP
Looks like the availability is quite limited
Old Oct 25, 2016, 11:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MadeInTaiwan
Looks like the availability is quite limited
It's mostly available to every US city QR flies to and dates are widely available through next year from what I can see.
Are you looking for a specific itinerary? Perhaps I can help..
Old Oct 26, 2016, 12:35 am

Programs: UA1K; AA EXP
Tried to book directly at QR website and Expedia. Limited availability for $1300+ for JFK or IAD.

Google Flights might not be accurate.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 6:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Might be an idea to watch the timing of any purchase.

Egypt is heading for a hefty devaluation. This could make the fare even better, and if you look at the current EFP level, a refund could leave you unhappy.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 7:52 am

Programs: AZ FA+, BA & UA Gold
Originally Posted by IAN-UK

Egypt is heading for a hefty devaluation. This could make the fare even better, and if you look at the current EFP level, a refund could leave you unhappy.
It seems that a lot of the fare bases are pegged to USD or the airline's home currency so it might not drop as much as expected.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Enhancements
It seems that a lot of the fare bases are pegged to USD or the airline's home currency so it might not drop as much as expected.
That's kind of the $64000 question

You say "seems": I just wondered what the indication is that this is a USD/QAR fare expressed in EGP. But, of course, the airline can manipulate local fares whether or not they are formally pegged to another currency.

But whether the fare is formally pegged, or is not: refunds will be unattractive on the other side of the devaluation.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 12:26 pm

Programs: UA Plat-Million Miler (1.6MM), IHG-Plat Amb; Amex Plat-P, Marriott-Gold;Hertz Gold; Hilton-Gold
Smile

Originally Posted by IAN-UK

Based in Saudi, I have been structuring flights Ex-CAI for the past 18 months. My experience is that as soon as the Egyptian Pound is devalued, the airlines change (Raise) the fairs Pound denominated fares equal to the devaluation. The biggest way to win on the economic turmoil is to buy your tickets while in CAI using Pounds that you purchase at the parallel market rate. The Airlines set their fares based on the official exchange rate (8.8 to $1) while Pounds can be purchased now in the parallel market at 16 to $1.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 1:37 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AY Gold
Originally Posted by gpicur
Based in Saudi, I have been structuring flights Ex-CAI for the past 18 months. My experience is that as soon as the Egyptian Pound is devalued, the airlines change (Raise) the fairs Pound denominated fares equal to the devaluation. The biggest way to win on the economic turmoil is to buy your tickets while in CAI using Pounds that you purchase at the parallel market rate. The Airlines set their fares based on the official exchange rate (8.8 to $1) while Pounds can be purchased now in the parallel market at 16 to $1.
I will of course not be doing this, but WOW that is great advice! Thank you for sharing.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 9:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: HHonors Diamond, AA EXP
There are restrictions imposed on ticket purchased since 5th of October. Not sure if this trick still works!
Old Oct 27, 2016, 2:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ashkale
There are restrictions imposed on ticket purchased since 5th of October. Not sure if this trick still works!
I was in Cairo earlier this month. I keep away from the shenanigans of the black market - not sniffy about it, just don't need it. But I know shop/street offers were in the 11 to 14 range:to the USD: probably even higher rates attainable.

There was talk about the fears of foreign carriers getting stuck with EGP, so I imagine they're backing out of sales in EGP to foreigners, whether or not this is an official position.

In the murky world of agencies there was apparently a lively trade in buying MS tickets in EGP and selling them n USD. No iidea how that worked, but the upshot seemed to be a threat by MS to increase prices for international tickets.

Soooooo... probably not a good idea to use the black market route to ticket purchase.
Old Oct 31, 2016, 10:12 am

Programs: BA*GGL, A3*G, AF*P, VS*S
Showing up on Google Flights at $1600 or so (still pretty good value) and 10% more at QR.com...
Old Nov 4, 2016, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Cai - jfk af j ~$1300

Looks like CAI - JFK in EGP is pricing out in line with QR/EY as the EGP craters

Also looks like CAI - CDG is on the 787 so lie-flats the whole way (if no swaps). Price is showing as 19968 EGP
Old Nov 4, 2016, 1:56 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, AA EXP, Alaska MVP 75
EY - CAI-AUH-JFK in J for $693 (one way)

Use coupon HOLIDAY30. For some reason the coupon seems to only work on one ways. Books in Business Flex which seems to be fully refundable and free date changes.
Old Nov 4, 2016, 2:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP,SPG G
Actually it works r/t as well. Under 1k in biz classic or 1100 in biz flex. While fully flex I think refund can get pretty tricky as EGP changes every other minute... I've been wondering how much of a hassle would it be to book it as a r/t, fly the outbound and then cancel the return.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.