Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Premium Fare Deals
Reload this Page >

AA: LAX-JFK-MIA-PTY RT $702 in A/J 18.9K EQMs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 30, 2016, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Server
OCTOBER 2016 UPDATE

LAX-JFK TRANSCONTINENTAL FLIGHTS:
Recent fare rule inclusions, effective October 2016, now prevent any routing via JFK on the non-stop transcontinental A321T aircraft. Any future booking will demand a significantly higher fare to route on the non-stops via JFK. Unless the fare rules are modified and these clauses are removed (highly doubtful), the ability to fly on the transcons via JFK is a thing of the past.
IF THE FARE COMPONENT INCLUDES TRAVEL BETWEEN LAX AND NYC
THEN THAT TRAVEL MUST BE ON
ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING
ANY AA FLIGHT OPERATED BY AA
BUT NOT ON AIRBUS INDUSTRIE A321 (SHARKLETS) AIRCRAFT.
AND
IF THE FARE COMPONENT INCLUDES TRAVEL BETWEEN SFO AND NYC
THEN THAT TRAVEL MUST BE ON
ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING
ANY AA FLIGHT OPERATED BY AA
BUT NOT ON AIRBUS INDUSTRIE A321 (SHARKLETS) AIRCRAFT.

1. Same day turns possible on the E-jets and morning 738s.

2. Bonuses now based on fare paid.

3. As of OCTOBER 2016, best fares are now around $1000. Fare tends to rise a few hundred for 2 pax. Fares can also occasionally rise for no discernible reason, but the price spikes have thus far proven to be temporary. Fares have the trend to drop during the year. Keep checking for fares in the $700-$800 ranges for best possible pricing.

4. Airport hotels with shuttles - Crowne Plaza Panama Airport & Riande Aeropuerto. The CP is slightly closer; the Riande is slightly nicer. The CP shuttle leaves the hotel every :00 and :30 and runs 24 hours but they seem to leave a few minutes early as it had left when I went down at 4:00AM on the dot. Also, note UberX charges a US$14 surcharge on top of the ~US$2 fare. CP has poor sound isolation, I could hear my neighbors on both sides including talking, crying baby etc. Had to wear earplugs to sleep.

5. Lounges:

Please refer to this thread for more detailed and accurate information on lounge access in general: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1656378-help-desk-will-i-have-lounge-access-access-rules-2016-a.html
LAX AIRPORT

= When trying to gain oneworld J / QF F access based on status, it is simply departing/connecting/arriving at any point on same ticket to and from an eligible international destination. PTY is eligible and not excluded regardless of length.

= When trying to gain oneworld J / QF F access based on class of service disregarding status, it is the international long haul clause that applies. Therefore, no "oneworld/QF lounge" access for non-elites for trips to and from PTY unless booking transcons since PTY is under 5 hours. BUT AA doesn't enforce this in their own lounges so Admirals Club access is expected.

AA GOLDs(RUBYs)/NON-ELITES
Admirals Club access is granted regardless of routing as AA does not enforce international long haul rule. However, the oneworld J lounge does for Golds(rubys)/non-elites as they are aware the PTY flights are under 5 hours. Booking transcon flights in J/F gains access to the OWJ/QFF lounges.
<Transcon 3-class (JFK/MIA) in F = Admirals + Flagship + LAX oneworld J lounge + QF F Lounge LAX>
<Transcon 3-class (JFK/MIA) in J = Admirals + LAX oneworld J lounge>
<Non-Transcon F (2-class) + PTY = Technically NONE (PTY under 5 hours therefore class of service rule applies) BUT AA still opens Admirals Club doors to all customers because they dont enforce the long-haul rule>

AA PLATINUMs
Platinums gain access to all AC/Business lounges regardless of routing due to flying to and from PTY. They gain access to First/Flagship lounges when traveling in F 3-class transcon
<Transcon 3-class (JFK/MIA) in F = Admirals + Flagship + LAX oneworld J lounge + QF F Lounge LAX>
<Transcon 3-class (JFK/MIA) in J = Admirals + LAX oneworld J lounge>
<Non-Transcon F (2-class) + PTY = Admirals + LAX oneworld J>

AA EXPs
EXPs have access to all lounges at all airports regardless of routing so long as they are traveling to and from PTY on the same itinerary (an international destination neither excluded from AA's list of ineligible regions nor limited by the flight length rule)
<EXPs Transcon F (2-class) + PTY = Admirals + Flagship + LAX oneworld J + QF F lounge LAX>
<EXPs Non-Transcon F (2-class) + PTY = Admirals + Flagship + LAX oneworld J + QF F lounge LAX>
<EXPs on Transcon 3-class (JFK/MIA + PTY) in Y = Admirals + Flagship + LAX oneworld J + QF F lounge LAX>
<EXPs on Transcon 3-class (JFK/MIA + PTY) in J = Admirals + Flagship + LAX oneworld J + QF F lounge LAX>
<EXPs on Transcon 3-class (JFK/MIA + PTY) in F = Admirals + Flagship + LAX oneworld J + QF F lounge LAX>

NON-AA ONEWORLD ELITES
All sapphires and emeralds have some form of lounge access on any flight systemwide
<non-AA sapphires on ALL AA FLIGHTS = Admirals Club + oneworld J lounge LAX>
<non-AA emeralds on ALL AA FLIGHTS = Admirals Club + oneworld J lounge LAX + Flagship Lounge + QF F lounge LAX>

OTHER AIRPORTS

SFO - Admiral's Club (Centurion Lounge for a fee)
JFK - Admirals Club & Flagship Lounge for EXP/First 3-class/Emerald
MIA - Admiral's Club (Centurion Lounge for a fee), Oneworld Premium Lounge for EXP/First 3-Class/Emerald
PTY - No lounge access (Copa with PP, or for a fee, for 7am or later flights)
YVR - No lounge access (PP for a fee)
DFW - Admiral's Club (with F/C Dining for EXP/Emerald) (Centurion Lounge for a fee)

6. PTY Customs:
Inbound to PTY -
  • 12 noon - no lines reported
  • 8PM Fri (5/27/16) - ~10 min line

Outbound to MIA -
  • 4:40am - no lines reported
7. Finding flights:

NOTE: LAX-JFK NO LONGER VALID FOR LOWEST FARES (effective OCT 2016)

If you want the transcon bonus, enter the search with a connection in JFK. (e.g. LAX-JFK,JFK-MIA,MIA-PTY,PTY-JFK,JFK-SFO.) You can play around from there to get the best deal. Some of the better deals do not start and end in the same city (e.g. start in LAX, end in SFO may be cheaper than start/end in LAX).

Also, it's possible on the outbound portion to time it so you have no more than a 60-minute layover at JFK or MIA (though note that some of these flights aren't available on weekends). While yes, JFK is notorious for delays, this rarely applies for inbound red-eye flights. Also, note that AA 28 below is sometimes "hidden" if you're looking on Google Flights inside a much more expensive trip; that does not necessarily mean, however, that you can't get it for one of the trips under $1,000 (in other words, try it out to see).

NOTE: LAX-JFK NO LONGER VALID FOR LOWEST FARES (effective OCT 2016)

Below is the shortest-possible outbound itinerary that has the LAX-JFK transcon on AA's A321T with flat-bed seats:

LAX-JFK on AA 28
10:45pm - 7:22am

JFK-MIA on AA 200
8:15am - 11:24am
(Note: AA has now switched all of the metal it used on this leg - on all JFK-MIA nonstops - to 757s instead of the 767s with international-style F & J seating.)***767 and 772 are back. Flight 200 is a 772**

MIA-PTY on AA 4434
12:33pm - 2:48pm
(Note: Even more distressingly, AA switched from using a 737 on this leg to an RJ, presumably because summer is off-peak season in Central America. The 6:05pm flight still uses a 737 if a full-size aircraft is a must.)
Print Wikipost

AA: LAX-JFK-MIA-PTY RT $702 in A/J 18.9K EQMs

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2016, 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by 47Chits
Yes, get the Emerald. I got gifted one and it's been a fun ride.

And to heck with the AA FL, go to TBIT, find the Qantas FL, 1000x better, and worth the 7 minute walk.
You want me to walk 7 minutes for great food, great drink and a true international lounge experience? (tongue firmly in cheek)

Agree 100%!
Old Apr 29, 2016, 10:45 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, Marriott Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by xdaniel
Hey, I did a similar run to Bogota two weeks ago and my EQM calculation was spot on (give or take few miles). I'm doing PTY run this weekend and based on my experience with the BOG run this is what I'm expecting to get out of it. LAX-JFK-MIA-PTY r/t will get you 18900 EQM's. Add your positioning flight to that, which in my case is JFK-LAX-CLT-JFK for total of 24041 EQM's.
I don't know what your exact situation is, but I signed up for Platinum challenge before my BOG run which requires you to do 12500 EQM's. When I called for the challenge I asked them to give me Gold status for the 90 day period. It's not a huge plus and costs $200 but it makes life easier on the positioning flights. Half way through my BOG run I was platinum and was upgraded for my return positioning leg JFK-CLT which made a huge difference for me, since it was a red eye and I was pretty tired from all the travels already.
Delete
Old Apr 29, 2016, 11:55 am

How are people able to find dates/routes through JFK? I'm trying to use ITA Matrix with routing code X:JFK but all the fares are several thousands (looking in calendar month view for next several months). If I leave out the JFK connection requirement, it drops to $744.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 11:59 am

Originally Posted by bodiddely
How are people able to find dates/routes through JFK? I'm trying to use ITA Matrix with routing code X:JFK but all the fares are several thousands (looking in calendar month view for next several months). If I leave out the JFK connection requirement, it drops to $744.
http://goo.gl/flights/0kGr

Some of mine have gone up by $70-$100 in the past few days. I booked this one for $780 (I think).
Old Apr 29, 2016, 1:28 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Just playing around with the dates and the mid afternoon return PTY-MIA switches over to a E175 beginning in June, if Google Flights is correct.

ETA: outbound MIA-PTY E175 is the noonish departure.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 2:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by rustykettel
Just playing around with the dates and the mid afternoon return PTY-MIA switches over to a E175 beginning in June, if Google Flights is correct.

ETA: outbound MIA-PTY E175 is the noonish departure.
Note to self, ew.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by hiima
Note to self, ew.
travelling by yourself, I prefer it for short trips like this - take the Window/Eisle combo seat!
Old Apr 29, 2016, 4:23 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, SPG Gold
Prices have definitely gone up this week. All the saved itineraries I had jumped $70-$200, and I'm not seeing anything much for under $880 or so for weekend itineraries. Mid-week there are still some deals, unfortunately I need to do a Friday night-Sunday return in Oct. and I'm not seeing much.

Still new to this - but if there's one takeaway I've learned on this forum: if you see a fare/flight that really interests you, jump on it. Do not dither.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 6:42 pm

just throwing this cake out here. You can visit NYC for a day as a weekend side trip. $727 with 321 transcon both ways. If you are quick, may even be on time for lunch on Monday. http://goo.gl/flights/4Ba5

$719 no stop just run: http://goo.gl/flights/dfSc
both 40 min turn at PTY.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 11:41 pm

Programs: AA Fool's Gold
Originally Posted by kirker
I've done two and will be taking at least two more over the next few months.
You are my hero and the devil. (Your post was #666)
Old Apr 30, 2016, 12:50 am

Programs: Motel 6 Super Diamond
Originally Posted by The_Just
You are my hero and the devil. (Your post was #666)
From what I remember earlier in the thread, I think there were people who've done this many, many more times.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 2:42 am

Programs: QF WP LTG
Originally Posted by beyounged
$719 no stop just run: http://goo.gl/flights/dfSc
both 40 min turn at PTY.
Actually that's a 4 hour layover in PTY - not sure AA will let you book the 40 min connection due to MCT.

I've run 3 of these so far and have another planned for next month, so much fun
Old Apr 30, 2016, 4:41 am

Programs: AA EXP/Exec Citi, NZ* G, Nat EE, Avis PP, HH Gold
I'm back in JFK eating breakfast, here's a few notes:

1) Trying to change to the 40 min MCT turnaround: Without checked bags and now knowing that I didn't have to go through customs, I tried to go standby on the earlier (~45 min MCT) return flight. At the AC in MIA, she couldn't add me to standby because it was an intl flight. She also couldn't confirm me (no idea if they was because of MCT, INTL, or because J was full (I offered to take Y back with numerous empty rows showing). Upon getting to PTY, there was no one at the gate that was able to help me, so I hustled through customs and got to the check-in before T-1hr. The check-in agent told me the flight was closed. Oh well, I guess I got my Panama stamp haha.
2) Lounge at PTY: Priority pass access to the Copa Club was nice, but not exceptionally clean. There are ~2 showers though - make sure you put in your name at the front desk.
3) JFK FL: Although the Concourse B AC at JFK is under construction, the FL there is not. The AC's showers are down (you have to go to gate 42 AC), but the FL is fully operational (with showers). I did have to ask for FL access. The computer stated it, but the AAgent wasn't familiar with it yet.
4) Luggage storage at JFK T4: open 24 hours, works nicely (this MR was tacked onto a trip). I dropped my bags there and crashed at the Wingtips Lounge at T4 for a few hours before the AC opened at 4:15am.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by snabbu
Actually that's a 4 hour layover in PTY - not sure AA will let you book the 40 min connection due to MCT.

I've run 3 of these so far and have another planned for next month, so much fun
You can actually reselect your flight to be 40 min turn there too, but I am not sure about MCT, even though AA.com lets me finish booking until hold. Will that give me trouble when I get there? Also the flight number is the same maybe that will be a problem?

Also has anyone tried overnight on the air side in PTY? does it close at night? I am very curious why this thread still does not have wiki now
Old Apr 30, 2016, 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by beyounged
... I am very curious why this thread still does not have wiki now
Done

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.