Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Premium Fare Deals
Reload this Page >

AA: LAX-JFK-MIA-PTY RT $702 in A/J 18.9K EQMs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 30, 2016, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Server
OCTOBER 2016 UPDATE

LAX-JFK TRANSCONTINENTAL FLIGHTS:
Recent fare rule inclusions, effective October 2016, now prevent any routing via JFK on the non-stop transcontinental A321T aircraft. Any future booking will demand a significantly higher fare to route on the non-stops via JFK. Unless the fare rules are modified and these clauses are removed (highly doubtful), the ability to fly on the transcons via JFK is a thing of the past.
IF THE FARE COMPONENT INCLUDES TRAVEL BETWEEN LAX AND NYC
THEN THAT TRAVEL MUST BE ON
ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING
ANY AA FLIGHT OPERATED BY AA
BUT NOT ON AIRBUS INDUSTRIE A321 (SHARKLETS) AIRCRAFT.
AND
IF THE FARE COMPONENT INCLUDES TRAVEL BETWEEN SFO AND NYC
THEN THAT TRAVEL MUST BE ON
ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING
ANY AA FLIGHT OPERATED BY AA
BUT NOT ON AIRBUS INDUSTRIE A321 (SHARKLETS) AIRCRAFT.

1. Same day turns possible on the E-jets and morning 738s.

2. Bonuses now based on fare paid.

3. As of OCTOBER 2016, best fares are now around $1000. Fare tends to rise a few hundred for 2 pax. Fares can also occasionally rise for no discernible reason, but the price spikes have thus far proven to be temporary. Fares have the trend to drop during the year. Keep checking for fares in the $700-$800 ranges for best possible pricing.

4. Airport hotels with shuttles - Crowne Plaza Panama Airport & Riande Aeropuerto. The CP is slightly closer; the Riande is slightly nicer. The CP shuttle leaves the hotel every :00 and :30 and runs 24 hours but they seem to leave a few minutes early as it had left when I went down at 4:00AM on the dot. Also, note UberX charges a US$14 surcharge on top of the ~US$2 fare. CP has poor sound isolation, I could hear my neighbors on both sides including talking, crying baby etc. Had to wear earplugs to sleep.

5. Lounges:

Please refer to this thread for more detailed and accurate information on lounge access in general: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1656378-help-desk-will-i-have-lounge-access-access-rules-2016-a.html
LAX AIRPORT

= When trying to gain oneworld J / QF F access based on status, it is simply departing/connecting/arriving at any point on same ticket to and from an eligible international destination. PTY is eligible and not excluded regardless of length.

= When trying to gain oneworld J / QF F access based on class of service disregarding status, it is the international long haul clause that applies. Therefore, no "oneworld/QF lounge" access for non-elites for trips to and from PTY unless booking transcons since PTY is under 5 hours. BUT AA doesn't enforce this in their own lounges so Admirals Club access is expected.

AA GOLDs(RUBYs)/NON-ELITES
Admirals Club access is granted regardless of routing as AA does not enforce international long haul rule. However, the oneworld J lounge does for Golds(rubys)/non-elites as they are aware the PTY flights are under 5 hours. Booking transcon flights in J/F gains access to the OWJ/QFF lounges.
<Transcon 3-class (JFK/MIA) in F = Admirals + Flagship + LAX oneworld J lounge + QF F Lounge LAX>
<Transcon 3-class (JFK/MIA) in J = Admirals + LAX oneworld J lounge>
<Non-Transcon F (2-class) + PTY = Technically NONE (PTY under 5 hours therefore class of service rule applies) BUT AA still opens Admirals Club doors to all customers because they dont enforce the long-haul rule>

AA PLATINUMs
Platinums gain access to all AC/Business lounges regardless of routing due to flying to and from PTY. They gain access to First/Flagship lounges when traveling in F 3-class transcon
<Transcon 3-class (JFK/MIA) in F = Admirals + Flagship + LAX oneworld J lounge + QF F Lounge LAX>
<Transcon 3-class (JFK/MIA) in J = Admirals + LAX oneworld J lounge>
<Non-Transcon F (2-class) + PTY = Admirals + LAX oneworld J>

AA EXPs
EXPs have access to all lounges at all airports regardless of routing so long as they are traveling to and from PTY on the same itinerary (an international destination neither excluded from AA's list of ineligible regions nor limited by the flight length rule)
<EXPs Transcon F (2-class) + PTY = Admirals + Flagship + LAX oneworld J + QF F lounge LAX>
<EXPs Non-Transcon F (2-class) + PTY = Admirals + Flagship + LAX oneworld J + QF F lounge LAX>
<EXPs on Transcon 3-class (JFK/MIA + PTY) in Y = Admirals + Flagship + LAX oneworld J + QF F lounge LAX>
<EXPs on Transcon 3-class (JFK/MIA + PTY) in J = Admirals + Flagship + LAX oneworld J + QF F lounge LAX>
<EXPs on Transcon 3-class (JFK/MIA + PTY) in F = Admirals + Flagship + LAX oneworld J + QF F lounge LAX>

NON-AA ONEWORLD ELITES
All sapphires and emeralds have some form of lounge access on any flight systemwide
<non-AA sapphires on ALL AA FLIGHTS = Admirals Club + oneworld J lounge LAX>
<non-AA emeralds on ALL AA FLIGHTS = Admirals Club + oneworld J lounge LAX + Flagship Lounge + QF F lounge LAX>

OTHER AIRPORTS

SFO - Admiral's Club (Centurion Lounge for a fee)
JFK - Admirals Club & Flagship Lounge for EXP/First 3-class/Emerald
MIA - Admiral's Club (Centurion Lounge for a fee), Oneworld Premium Lounge for EXP/First 3-Class/Emerald
PTY - No lounge access (Copa with PP, or for a fee, for 7am or later flights)
YVR - No lounge access (PP for a fee)
DFW - Admiral's Club (with F/C Dining for EXP/Emerald) (Centurion Lounge for a fee)

6. PTY Customs:
Inbound to PTY -
  • 12 noon - no lines reported
  • 8PM Fri (5/27/16) - ~10 min line

Outbound to MIA -
  • 4:40am - no lines reported
7. Finding flights:

NOTE: LAX-JFK NO LONGER VALID FOR LOWEST FARES (effective OCT 2016)

If you want the transcon bonus, enter the search with a connection in JFK. (e.g. LAX-JFK,JFK-MIA,MIA-PTY,PTY-JFK,JFK-SFO.) You can play around from there to get the best deal. Some of the better deals do not start and end in the same city (e.g. start in LAX, end in SFO may be cheaper than start/end in LAX).

Also, it's possible on the outbound portion to time it so you have no more than a 60-minute layover at JFK or MIA (though note that some of these flights aren't available on weekends). While yes, JFK is notorious for delays, this rarely applies for inbound red-eye flights. Also, note that AA 28 below is sometimes "hidden" if you're looking on Google Flights inside a much more expensive trip; that does not necessarily mean, however, that you can't get it for one of the trips under $1,000 (in other words, try it out to see).

NOTE: LAX-JFK NO LONGER VALID FOR LOWEST FARES (effective OCT 2016)

Below is the shortest-possible outbound itinerary that has the LAX-JFK transcon on AA's A321T with flat-bed seats:

LAX-JFK on AA 28
10:45pm - 7:22am

JFK-MIA on AA 200
8:15am - 11:24am
(Note: AA has now switched all of the metal it used on this leg - on all JFK-MIA nonstops - to 757s instead of the 767s with international-style F & J seating.)***767 and 772 are back. Flight 200 is a 772**

MIA-PTY on AA 4434
12:33pm - 2:48pm
(Note: Even more distressingly, AA switched from using a 737 on this leg to an RJ, presumably because summer is off-peak season in Central America. The 6:05pm flight still uses a 737 if a full-size aircraft is a must.)
Print Wikipost

AA: LAX-JFK-MIA-PTY RT $702 in A/J 18.9K EQMs

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2016, 5:44 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Flyerhandle

Yup. Just got back from this run. My tiny scissors, with round (not "rounded," actual circular, non-pointed ends) were taken by security, despite the fact that they went through without any problems a month ago. That airport can be pretty painful. I forgot that they will take away beverages, even unopened ones that you buy inside security, when you get to the secondary gate inspection.
I flew out again on Saturday (arrived a few minutes earlier) and far quieter at around 5am than during the week. One person in front of me in the queue for security. No-one was manning the secondary checkpoint before 5:30am and people were already sitting in the gate area.

Added: back again on the 9th and about 100 people checking in at 5:30am....mini vans still arriving with more.
Apparently some cancelled flight.
I just left my key card on the side as I had no intention of queuing an hour or so to checkout.

Last edited by xenole; Nov 9, 2016 at 5:08 am
Old Nov 14, 2016, 8:50 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Hoosier1710
My partner and I are finishing up this run tomorrow, including a flight on the 77W from MIA to LAX. I've got to say, if this comes back and time allows it, Panama City is a wonderful place to stay a few days. Even during the rainy season, we loved every minute here. The canal is worth seeing, but the city itself is vibrant and friendly, and full of really delicious, affordable restaurants. Probably would never have visited here were it not for this mileage run, so thanks American (while it lasted...)
Just finished this MR last night and completely agree. I never would have visited Panama if it wasn't for this deal. I really enjoyed my time in the city, and will definitely try to go back.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 9:08 am

I'm suffering with the humidity. Keep sweating too much!

They do need to do some work on the streets. It's challenging walking about what with rubble, manhole covers not there so easy to fall down a hole in the dark, sidewalks that have multiple gradients, no street signs, metal plates on the sidewalks that aren't always sturdy and that's before the traffic.

Nice city though and feels safe.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 12:31 pm

Can recommend Danilo's Jazz Club attached to the American Trade Hotel in Casco Viejo. If you get a chance to see Idania Dowman (Panama's "Lady of Jazz") there--and her amazing musicians--don't pass it up!
Old Nov 14, 2016, 6:30 pm

Just arrived at MIA on the E75. Nice flight what with 4 people out of 12 in the business cabin and less than half full down back.

No drinks before take-off.

Meal was a salad, some cheese, blinis, hummus, bread sticks and chocolate cake.

Bit of turbulence but nothing to worry about.

Even a crew member was taking pictures of the sunset and the super moon

Ending up arriving at D60L and all the plane got bused to passport control.
Thank God I'm not American as the queue for the APC machines and in the immigration hall was massive.

Took me 3 minutes behind maybe 10 others in the Global Entry queue and then a good 10 mins at the TSA-PRE security point due to a hold up along the line.

Now in the Premium lounge as my connecting flight goes from the E gates.
Free beer, spirits and far better food than the Admiral's Club.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 11:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP x 1.5, DL GM, JB, HH GLD
Originally Posted by xenole
Just arrived at MIA on the E75. Nice flight what with 4 people out of 12 in the business cabin and less than half full down back.

No drinks before take-off.

Meal was a salad, some cheese, blinis, hummus, bread sticks and chocolate cake.

Bit of turbulence but nothing to worry about.

Even a crew member was taking pictures of the sunset and the super moon

Ending up arriving at D60L and all the plane got bused to passport control.
Thank God I'm not American as the queue for the APC machines and in the immigration hall was massive.

Took me 3 minutes behind maybe 10 others in the Global Entry queue and then a good 10 mins at the TSA-PRE security point due to a hold up along the line.

Now in the Premium lounge as my connecting flight goes from the E gates.
Free beer, spirits and far better food than the Admiral's Club.
That premium lounge is a hidden gem. Even though they don't have a TSA pre lane on the E concourse, I almost always go through security there, so that I can stop by the lounge for a much better drink or two, and a bottle of San Pellegrino,
Old Nov 23, 2016, 3:11 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Bonvoy Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by wanderlust4life
Yes absolutely certain.

And for anyone looking to fly on MIA-LAX alone, disregarding status of any level, you will only have access to the Admirals Club and NOT the Flagship lounges or TBIT oneworld and/or Qantas First lounge UNLESS you book in First or Business on a 3-class transcontinental flight. IF you choose to book on a 2-class service flight such as a 737, 757, 32B, 767, 772, you will still get a full service meal and that sundae onboard, but you will get denied lounge access to the Flagship and oneworld premium lounges if applicable at the airport on both ends.

And when 2017 rolls around, dont expect to have access to the Flagship dining either. Thats exclusively for 3-class international First class customers and First customers on 3-class transcontinental flights. The ground benefits alone make the value of booking onto a 3-class marketed/operated aircraft tremendously higher!

Feel free to keep booking and flying in 2-class First on the route. Ill be rolling up to the curbside Flagship check in at LAX for 3-class First.
I'll be connecting through LAX this spring on a return trip from Hawaii (LIH-LAX-MIA-GSO). I'm traveling in F from LAX-MIA which is a 3-cabin 77W. Will I be able to access the TBIT oneworld or Qantas First lounges?

Several posts in this thread as well as the wiki seem to indicate that the 3-cabin, 5+ hour transcon (LAX-MIA) will get me access to both lounges. However, my itinerary is solely domestic. The lounge access page on the oneworld website has the following definition:
"a oneworld international long haul flight is defined as an international flight marketed and operated by any oneworld carrier with a scheduled flight time longer than 5 hours"

In addition to specifying the 5-hour flight time, the definition specifically uses the word "international". I really want to believe that I'll have access to both TBIT oneworld lounges, but I can't get past that definition.

Am I missing something on the oneworld lounge access page (or elsewhere) that permits 3-class transcon F passengers access to the TBIT oneworld lounges?
Old Nov 23, 2016, 3:31 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, Marriott Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by PocketSidewalk
I'll be connecting through LAX this spring on a return trip from Hawaii (LIH-LAX-MIA-GSO). I'm traveling in F from LAX-MIA which is a 3-cabin 77W. Will I be able to access the TBIT oneworld or Qantas First lounges?

Several posts in this thread as well as the wiki seem to indicate that the 3-cabin, 5+ hour transcon (LAX-MIA) will get me access to both lounges. However, my itinerary is solely domestic. The lounge access page on the oneworld website has the following definition:
"a oneworld international long haul flight is defined as an international flight marketed and operated by any oneworld carrier with a scheduled flight time longer than 5 hours"

In addition to specifying the 5-hour flight time, the definition specifically uses the word "international". I really want to believe that I'll have access to both TBIT oneworld lounges, but I can't get past that definition.

Am I missing something on the oneworld lounge access page (or elsewhere) that permits 3-class transcon F passengers access to the TBIT oneworld lounges?
I believe you won't get OW or Qantas F lounge access, but will have access to the LAX AA Flagship lounge in terminal 4
Old Dec 15, 2016, 12:31 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, AS MVP Gold
Finished flying this itinerary yesterday. It was a helluvalot of fun with overnights in New York both outbound and inbound plus an overnight in Panama City and approximately 18 hours total. Some after-the-fact observations:

1. Miraculously, every segment went smoothly, with maximum departure delay at 30 minutes on the inbound MIA-JFK segment. Captain reported "backup radio" failure (actually, as I later learned from her, it was the heads up display) that was not actually needed to fly. This was as we were pushing back. We pulled back in and maintenance signed off "OK to fly" within about five minutes. Then off we went.

2. I was fortunate to book while A321T was still OK. I love that aircraft in F though they are definitely showing some signs of age. Got some serious shuteye on the inbound which was nearly 7 hours due to northerly routing to avoid serious headwinds and turbulence.

3. Panamanian customs/border patrol on arrival was a piece of cake. Departing wasn't nearly so great. They had security for access to the gate where everyone was penned in though the incoming flight was late pulling in. Glad I hit the john before I ran the gauntlet of the security contingent who seemed barely out of their teens, one of whom seemed completely mystified by each item in my suitcase he pulled out. Barking "shaving gel," "electric toothbrush," etc. at him as he stared vacantly at my stuff may have helped speed him along a little.

4. Had a great night on the oubound in Queens. After checking in at hotel around 11pm, snagged an Uber from Jamaica to Flushing for late night XLB run. If you've never had soup dumplings at Nan Xiang Xiao Long Bao, you should. Got back to the hotel (Courtyard; nothing special and expensive) around 1, but flight down to MIA didn't depart until 11am, so still ample sleep time.

5. Internationally configured 767-300 from JFK-MIA was quite comfortable, though the absence of onboard power or wifi should be an embarrassment to AA in 2016.

6. Like The Bristol. Never stayed there. Very nice business-style hotel. Huge suite with full kitchenette on Virtuoso deal. Wouldn't have minded if I had more time there. No problem with 2pm checkout. Meal in-house on arrival at Salsipuede was good. Even better was lunch the next day at Mercado de Mariscos on the edge of Casco Viejo. If you like fresh seafood for bargain prices (how about a lobster tail cocktail for $4.75). Despite the chaos and the informality of the setting, everything is sparkling clean and odorless. Highly recommend. Likewise, for fancy coffee lovers, there's Bajareque Coffee House in Casco Viejo for Geisha beans and several locations of Cafe Unido for your favorite coffee drink made with local product. The renovation of Casco Viejo that's been completed since my last visit is dramatic in a good way. I did not have a chance to get out to the new lock at the canal. Next time.

7. E175 from PTY-MIA was a little cramped, especially for overhead storage, but the trip is only 2.75 hours, so really no big deal as far as I'm concerned. I really like that aircraft on the "A" side of the F cabin.

8. Biggest negative was the paltry number of AAward miles for the trip: ~5600 (reflecting the great price of the deal). EQM at 18.9k was nice, though I didn't need them for requalification purposes as I thought I would when I booked the trip earlier this year. Oh well.

9. Lounge access at Qantas F lounge at LAX (with brief question due to overnight in New York outbound) worked well. Very quiet early afternoon. Had a nice late lunch before heading back to T6. JFK F Lounge (new since I was there) was also supernice. Newly renovate AAdmirals Club at D15 in MIA is a step up. Copa Lounge @ PTY (accessed with Priority Pass) was pretty mobbed @ 3pm. Pretty tight connections on the return, so very little lounging.

--mcz

Last edited by mczlaw; Dec 15, 2016 at 12:40 am Reason: Added Lounge Note
Old Dec 16, 2016, 11:02 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, Marriott Silver, HH Gold
New earning & special fares?

Has anyone done this run and had it credit based on distance instead of revenue? (In the case of irrops or special fare from a portal)

Did you receive full A/P earnings for EQD and RDM?
Old Dec 16, 2016, 11:17 am

Programs: United MM, Alaska MVP, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by mczlaw
Finished flying this itinerary yesterday. It was a helluvalot of fun with overnights in New York both outbound and inbound plus an overnight in Panama City and approximately 18 hours total. Some after-the-fact observations:

--mcz
Great story. I might do this with the wife and spend a few days and credit it to our Alaska accounts.

Fun way to get a headstart to MVP in 2017.
Old Dec 18, 2016, 11:29 pm

Well, I am finishing up my third and final PTY MR of the year, which puts me over the 150K mark, and six SWUs. I actually stayed in Panama every trip and really enjoy the place to the point of considering actually moving here. I am looking forward to booking some of these MRs in 2017, hopefully to rack up status with BA.

Hitting EXP has really saved my .... As I was walking out my door to fly to L.A. completing my prior MR, the phone app went off repeatedly, with one delay notice after another for my flight from MIA-ORD to connect on to LAX. Within minutes, the delay was over three hours, I was going to miss my connection, and it was the last flight of the night to LAX, which would have left me stranded in Chicago, and put me at risk of missing my outbound flight for the MR I am currently on..

I was on the EXP line in seconds, and got myself rebooked on the non-stop 777-300, in the last available seat in business. Then, I was even able to work out a same day flight change on my return flight from MIA-LAX from a standard recliner 321 to the 777-300 again. Neither the app, nor the website showed ANY availability for same day flight changes at all. So, I called, and a helpful EXP agent was able to press the right buttons., and voila. Then when I checked my updated booking, I found out that they had put me in F. I'm stoked for a nice afternoon/evening transcon flight in that cabin.
Old Dec 19, 2016, 11:14 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by Flyerhandle
Well, I am finishing up my third and final PTY MR of the year, which puts me over the 150K mark, and six SWUs. I actually stayed in Panama every trip and really enjoy the place to the point of considering actually moving here. I am looking forward to booking some of these MRs in 2017, hopefully to rack up status with BA.

Hitting EXP has really saved my .... As I was walking out my door to fly to L.A. completing my prior MR, the phone app went off repeatedly, with one delay notice after another for my flight from MIA-ORD to connect on to LAX. Within minutes, the delay was over three hours, I was going to miss my connection, and it was the last flight of the night to LAX, which would have left me stranded in Chicago, and put me at risk of missing my outbound flight for the MR I am currently on..

I was on the EXP line in seconds, and got myself rebooked on the non-stop 777-300, in the last available seat in business. Then, I was even able to work out a same day flight change on my return flight from MIA-LAX from a standard recliner 321 to the 777-300 again. Neither the app, nor the website showed ANY availability for same day flight changes at all. So, I called, and a helpful EXP agent was able to press the right buttons., and voila. Then when I checked my updated booking, I found out that they had put me in F. I'm stoked for a nice afternoon/evening transcon flight in that cabin.
On the domestic flight 77W's, they only operate as two-class, so being upgraded gets you an F seat, whereas if you weren't, you still could have sat in the "business" section.
Old Dec 19, 2016, 11:32 am

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by BThumme
On the domestic flight 77W's, they only operate as two-class, so being upgraded gets you an F seat, whereas if you weren't, you still could have sat in the "business" section.
I'm pretty sure they're sold as 3 class. The JFK-BOS 32B are sold as 2 class.
Old Dec 19, 2016, 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by BThumme
I have been on this plane a number of times, and it is a transcon three-class. LAX-MIA is one of the few other recognized three class transcon flights other than CA-NY flights. Seat map.

Last edited by Flyerhandle; Dec 19, 2016 at 12:25 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.