Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Premium Fare Deals
Reload this Page >

AA: LAX-JFK-MIA-PTY RT $702 in A/J 18.9K EQMs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 30, 2016, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Server
OCTOBER 2016 UPDATE

LAX-JFK TRANSCONTINENTAL FLIGHTS:
Recent fare rule inclusions, effective October 2016, now prevent any routing via JFK on the non-stop transcontinental A321T aircraft. Any future booking will demand a significantly higher fare to route on the non-stops via JFK. Unless the fare rules are modified and these clauses are removed (highly doubtful), the ability to fly on the transcons via JFK is a thing of the past.
IF THE FARE COMPONENT INCLUDES TRAVEL BETWEEN LAX AND NYC
THEN THAT TRAVEL MUST BE ON
ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING
ANY AA FLIGHT OPERATED BY AA
BUT NOT ON AIRBUS INDUSTRIE A321 (SHARKLETS) AIRCRAFT.
AND
IF THE FARE COMPONENT INCLUDES TRAVEL BETWEEN SFO AND NYC
THEN THAT TRAVEL MUST BE ON
ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING
ANY AA FLIGHT OPERATED BY AA
BUT NOT ON AIRBUS INDUSTRIE A321 (SHARKLETS) AIRCRAFT.

1. Same day turns possible on the E-jets and morning 738s.

2. Bonuses now based on fare paid.

3. As of OCTOBER 2016, best fares are now around $1000. Fare tends to rise a few hundred for 2 pax. Fares can also occasionally rise for no discernible reason, but the price spikes have thus far proven to be temporary. Fares have the trend to drop during the year. Keep checking for fares in the $700-$800 ranges for best possible pricing.

4. Airport hotels with shuttles - Crowne Plaza Panama Airport & Riande Aeropuerto. The CP is slightly closer; the Riande is slightly nicer. The CP shuttle leaves the hotel every :00 and :30 and runs 24 hours but they seem to leave a few minutes early as it had left when I went down at 4:00AM on the dot. Also, note UberX charges a US$14 surcharge on top of the ~US$2 fare. CP has poor sound isolation, I could hear my neighbors on both sides including talking, crying baby etc. Had to wear earplugs to sleep.

5. Lounges:

Please refer to this thread for more detailed and accurate information on lounge access in general: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1656378-help-desk-will-i-have-lounge-access-access-rules-2016-a.html
LAX AIRPORT

= When trying to gain oneworld J / QF F access based on status, it is simply departing/connecting/arriving at any point on same ticket to and from an eligible international destination. PTY is eligible and not excluded regardless of length.

= When trying to gain oneworld J / QF F access based on class of service disregarding status, it is the international long haul clause that applies. Therefore, no "oneworld/QF lounge" access for non-elites for trips to and from PTY unless booking transcons since PTY is under 5 hours. BUT AA doesn't enforce this in their own lounges so Admirals Club access is expected.

AA GOLDs(RUBYs)/NON-ELITES
Admirals Club access is granted regardless of routing as AA does not enforce international long haul rule. However, the oneworld J lounge does for Golds(rubys)/non-elites as they are aware the PTY flights are under 5 hours. Booking transcon flights in J/F gains access to the OWJ/QFF lounges.
<Transcon 3-class (JFK/MIA) in F = Admirals + Flagship + LAX oneworld J lounge + QF F Lounge LAX>
<Transcon 3-class (JFK/MIA) in J = Admirals + LAX oneworld J lounge>
<Non-Transcon F (2-class) + PTY = Technically NONE (PTY under 5 hours therefore class of service rule applies) BUT AA still opens Admirals Club doors to all customers because they dont enforce the long-haul rule>

AA PLATINUMs
Platinums gain access to all AC/Business lounges regardless of routing due to flying to and from PTY. They gain access to First/Flagship lounges when traveling in F 3-class transcon
<Transcon 3-class (JFK/MIA) in F = Admirals + Flagship + LAX oneworld J lounge + QF F Lounge LAX>
<Transcon 3-class (JFK/MIA) in J = Admirals + LAX oneworld J lounge>
<Non-Transcon F (2-class) + PTY = Admirals + LAX oneworld J>

AA EXPs
EXPs have access to all lounges at all airports regardless of routing so long as they are traveling to and from PTY on the same itinerary (an international destination neither excluded from AA's list of ineligible regions nor limited by the flight length rule)
<EXPs Transcon F (2-class) + PTY = Admirals + Flagship + LAX oneworld J + QF F lounge LAX>
<EXPs Non-Transcon F (2-class) + PTY = Admirals + Flagship + LAX oneworld J + QF F lounge LAX>
<EXPs on Transcon 3-class (JFK/MIA + PTY) in Y = Admirals + Flagship + LAX oneworld J + QF F lounge LAX>
<EXPs on Transcon 3-class (JFK/MIA + PTY) in J = Admirals + Flagship + LAX oneworld J + QF F lounge LAX>
<EXPs on Transcon 3-class (JFK/MIA + PTY) in F = Admirals + Flagship + LAX oneworld J + QF F lounge LAX>

NON-AA ONEWORLD ELITES
All sapphires and emeralds have some form of lounge access on any flight systemwide
<non-AA sapphires on ALL AA FLIGHTS = Admirals Club + oneworld J lounge LAX>
<non-AA emeralds on ALL AA FLIGHTS = Admirals Club + oneworld J lounge LAX + Flagship Lounge + QF F lounge LAX>

OTHER AIRPORTS

SFO - Admiral's Club (Centurion Lounge for a fee)
JFK - Admirals Club & Flagship Lounge for EXP/First 3-class/Emerald
MIA - Admiral's Club (Centurion Lounge for a fee), Oneworld Premium Lounge for EXP/First 3-Class/Emerald
PTY - No lounge access (Copa with PP, or for a fee, for 7am or later flights)
YVR - No lounge access (PP for a fee)
DFW - Admiral's Club (with F/C Dining for EXP/Emerald) (Centurion Lounge for a fee)

6. PTY Customs:
Inbound to PTY -
  • 12 noon - no lines reported
  • 8PM Fri (5/27/16) - ~10 min line

Outbound to MIA -
  • 4:40am - no lines reported
7. Finding flights:

NOTE: LAX-JFK NO LONGER VALID FOR LOWEST FARES (effective OCT 2016)

If you want the transcon bonus, enter the search with a connection in JFK. (e.g. LAX-JFK,JFK-MIA,MIA-PTY,PTY-JFK,JFK-SFO.) You can play around from there to get the best deal. Some of the better deals do not start and end in the same city (e.g. start in LAX, end in SFO may be cheaper than start/end in LAX).

Also, it's possible on the outbound portion to time it so you have no more than a 60-minute layover at JFK or MIA (though note that some of these flights aren't available on weekends). While yes, JFK is notorious for delays, this rarely applies for inbound red-eye flights. Also, note that AA 28 below is sometimes "hidden" if you're looking on Google Flights inside a much more expensive trip; that does not necessarily mean, however, that you can't get it for one of the trips under $1,000 (in other words, try it out to see).

NOTE: LAX-JFK NO LONGER VALID FOR LOWEST FARES (effective OCT 2016)

Below is the shortest-possible outbound itinerary that has the LAX-JFK transcon on AA's A321T with flat-bed seats:

LAX-JFK on AA 28
10:45pm - 7:22am

JFK-MIA on AA 200
8:15am - 11:24am
(Note: AA has now switched all of the metal it used on this leg - on all JFK-MIA nonstops - to 757s instead of the 767s with international-style F & J seating.)***767 and 772 are back. Flight 200 is a 772**

MIA-PTY on AA 4434
12:33pm - 2:48pm
(Note: Even more distressingly, AA switched from using a 737 on this leg to an RJ, presumably because summer is off-peak season in Central America. The 6:05pm flight still uses a 737 if a full-size aircraft is a must.)
Print Wikipost

AA: LAX-JFK-MIA-PTY RT $702 in A/J 18.9K EQMs

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2016, 7:49 am

Programs: qantas, virgin
Thanks so much. That's the answer I was looking for.

Now... time to learn the tips & tricks + the best airline to have status with for an Aussie
Old Sep 26, 2016, 8:16 pm

Programs: American Airlines
Hi, Newbie here. The other half and I are doing this run on Nov 4-5 with a little twist. The LAX-JFK leg didn't come up as a non stop, so we are going through PHL instead. We much prefer PHL over JFK. The airport is easier to navigate and the Marriott is connected to the airport with a walkway. It makes the overnight there super easy.
18582 EQMs for $745
Old Sep 26, 2016, 8:26 pm

Programs: AA EXPLT, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), HHonors Gold, AMEX PLT, UA Silver, National EXC
Originally Posted by ReadyToRun63
Hi, Newbie here. The other half and I are doing this run on Nov 4-5 with a little twist. The LAX-JFK leg didn't come up as a non stop, so we are going through PHL instead. We much prefer PHL over JFK. The airport is easier to navigate and the Marriott is connected to the airport with a walkway. It makes the overnight there super easy.
18582 EQMs for $745
Downside is you're not in lie-flat business class for LAX-JFK
Old Sep 26, 2016, 9:57 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
The comparison becomes even more painful between an American 321 Transcon and a legacy US Airways stripped-down bird.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 10:23 pm

18582 EQMs for $745

Originally Posted by fotoflyer88
Downside is you're not in lie-flat business class for LAX-JFK
Originally Posted by jcatman
The comparison becomes even more painful between an American 321 Transcon and a legacy US Airways stripped-down bird.
It depends on priorities and dollars. If you can get to Philly at the right time and save some money, that might easily trump a day time lie-flat seat.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 12:43 am

Originally Posted by Global321
It depends on priorities and dollars. If you can get to Philly at the right time and save some money, that might easily trump a day time lie-flat seat.
I would have loved the lie flat. It didn't come up as an option on the cheaper fare for our travel dates, so we went with the Philly connection. This run will put the hubby over the top for EXP. Wanted to get it done when we could.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 9:36 am

I did not see any reference to daytime vs. nighttime flight.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 9:37 am

I would have loved the lie flat. It didn't come up as an option on the cheaper fare for our travel dates, so we went with the Philly connection. This run will put the hubby over the top for EXP. Wanted to get it done when we could.
Safe travels. Report back.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by jcatman
I did not see any reference to daytime vs. nighttime flight.
OP referenced the hotel being connected to the airport. Safe to assume he/she was overnighting.

You see it different?
Old Sep 27, 2016, 4:25 pm

OP referenced the hotel being connected to the airport. Safe to assume he/she was overnighting.

You see it different?
Depends on the particular situation. I've checked into hotels at 9:00am in order to shower and sleep after traveling all night, and not having lounge access.

I've slept on lie-flat seats on early evening flights, and then slept in the hotel room that night.

YMMV.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 4:29 pm

You see it different?
You are correct. The cheapest fare requires two overnights. The hubby has Marriott points which made Philly an easy call
We did this run last weekend with an over night in Pholly and one in Mia. Philly was worlds easier. No waiting on shuttles, etc. Walked off the plane to the hotel. In the morning went through Security on a precheck line open right down the hall from the hotel. Walked back to the gate and got on the plane. Most annoying part was the bad wifi in Pty.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 12:56 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Discoverist
I'm departing 12:50am, Wed 9/28 from LAX for this run: LAX-DFW-MIA-PTY-MIA-LAX. If anyone is doing the same, PM me or look for me in 1F MIA-PTY and 1D PTY-MIA. Happy to trade road warrior stories and grab a beer/wine enroute or at the AC.

9/28
AA#2399
AA#2345
AA#4434: MIA/PTY/MIA
AA#1147
Old Sep 28, 2016, 3:07 pm

Programs: UA Gold
LAX Oneworld lounge

Does anyone have recent experience of using the oneworld lounge at LAX? I'm Plat so should be able to use it. But the wiki said that AA doesn't consider PTY as international anymore.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 4:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by kalbear
Does anyone have recent experience of using the oneworld lounge at LAX? I'm Plat so should be able to use it. But the wiki said that AA doesn't consider PTY as international anymore.
If you're on the lax-JFK flight, then you can use one world lounge. If the front person denies you, ask for a manager. Although most front people know the rules now. Same with F lounge.

Last edited by hiima; Sep 28, 2016 at 4:16 pm
Old Sep 28, 2016, 4:11 pm

Location: Loud, dark, warm, lots of ethernet cables, and in some rack space.
Programs: AA:EXP
Originally Posted by kalbear
I do not see that anywhere in this wiki? Please link to it if I'm mistaken. The only part I see is "Qantas Business for non-EXP/Emerald [Denied QF J as PTY no longer international]".

Which says the Qantas First Class Lounge is NOT usable if you fly to PTY in business class due to it not being considered 'international' by that particular lounge. Again please link to whatever information might counter the wiki.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.