Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Premium Fare Deals
Reload this Page >

AA: LAX-JFK-MIA-PTY RT $702 in A/J 18.9K EQMs

Old Apr 30, 2016, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Server
OCTOBER 2016 UPDATE

LAX-JFK TRANSCONTINENTAL FLIGHTS:
Recent fare rule inclusions, effective October 2016, now prevent any routing via JFK on the non-stop transcontinental A321T aircraft. Any future booking will demand a significantly higher fare to route on the non-stops via JFK. Unless the fare rules are modified and these clauses are removed (highly doubtful), the ability to fly on the transcons via JFK is a thing of the past.
IF THE FARE COMPONENT INCLUDES TRAVEL BETWEEN LAX AND NYC
THEN THAT TRAVEL MUST BE ON
ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING
ANY AA FLIGHT OPERATED BY AA
BUT NOT ON AIRBUS INDUSTRIE A321 (SHARKLETS) AIRCRAFT.
AND
IF THE FARE COMPONENT INCLUDES TRAVEL BETWEEN SFO AND NYC
THEN THAT TRAVEL MUST BE ON
ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING
ANY AA FLIGHT OPERATED BY AA
BUT NOT ON AIRBUS INDUSTRIE A321 (SHARKLETS) AIRCRAFT.

1. Same day turns possible on the E-jets and morning 738s.

2. Bonuses now based on fare paid.

3. As of OCTOBER 2016, best fares are now around $1000. Fare tends to rise a few hundred for 2 pax. Fares can also occasionally rise for no discernible reason, but the price spikes have thus far proven to be temporary. Fares have the trend to drop during the year. Keep checking for fares in the $700-$800 ranges for best possible pricing.

4. Airport hotels with shuttles - Crowne Plaza Panama Airport & Riande Aeropuerto. The CP is slightly closer; the Riande is slightly nicer. The CP shuttle leaves the hotel every :00 and :30 and runs 24 hours but they seem to leave a few minutes early as it had left when I went down at 4:00AM on the dot. Also, note UberX charges a US$14 surcharge on top of the ~US$2 fare. CP has poor sound isolation, I could hear my neighbors on both sides including talking, crying baby etc. Had to wear earplugs to sleep.

5. Lounges:

Please refer to this thread for more detailed and accurate information on lounge access in general: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1656378-help-desk-will-i-have-lounge-access-access-rules-2016-a.html
LAX AIRPORT

= When trying to gain oneworld J / QF F access based on status, it is simply departing/connecting/arriving at any point on same ticket to and from an eligible international destination. PTY is eligible and not excluded regardless of length.

= When trying to gain oneworld J / QF F access based on class of service disregarding status, it is the international long haul clause that applies. Therefore, no "oneworld/QF lounge" access for non-elites for trips to and from PTY unless booking transcons since PTY is under 5 hours. BUT AA doesn't enforce this in their own lounges so Admirals Club access is expected.

AA GOLDs(RUBYs)/NON-ELITES
Admirals Club access is granted regardless of routing as AA does not enforce international long haul rule. However, the oneworld J lounge does for Golds(rubys)/non-elites as they are aware the PTY flights are under 5 hours. Booking transcon flights in J/F gains access to the OWJ/QFF lounges.
<Transcon 3-class (JFK/MIA) in F = Admirals + Flagship + LAX oneworld J lounge + QF F Lounge LAX>
<Transcon 3-class (JFK/MIA) in J = Admirals + LAX oneworld J lounge>
<Non-Transcon F (2-class) + PTY = Technically NONE (PTY under 5 hours therefore class of service rule applies) BUT AA still opens Admirals Club doors to all customers because they dont enforce the long-haul rule>

AA PLATINUMs
Platinums gain access to all AC/Business lounges regardless of routing due to flying to and from PTY. They gain access to First/Flagship lounges when traveling in F 3-class transcon
<Transcon 3-class (JFK/MIA) in F = Admirals + Flagship + LAX oneworld J lounge + QF F Lounge LAX>
<Transcon 3-class (JFK/MIA) in J = Admirals + LAX oneworld J lounge>
<Non-Transcon F (2-class) + PTY = Admirals + LAX oneworld J>

AA EXPs
EXPs have access to all lounges at all airports regardless of routing so long as they are traveling to and from PTY on the same itinerary (an international destination neither excluded from AA's list of ineligible regions nor limited by the flight length rule)
<EXPs Transcon F (2-class) + PTY = Admirals + Flagship + LAX oneworld J + QF F lounge LAX>
<EXPs Non-Transcon F (2-class) + PTY = Admirals + Flagship + LAX oneworld J + QF F lounge LAX>
<EXPs on Transcon 3-class (JFK/MIA + PTY) in Y = Admirals + Flagship + LAX oneworld J + QF F lounge LAX>
<EXPs on Transcon 3-class (JFK/MIA + PTY) in J = Admirals + Flagship + LAX oneworld J + QF F lounge LAX>
<EXPs on Transcon 3-class (JFK/MIA + PTY) in F = Admirals + Flagship + LAX oneworld J + QF F lounge LAX>

NON-AA ONEWORLD ELITES
All sapphires and emeralds have some form of lounge access on any flight systemwide
<non-AA sapphires on ALL AA FLIGHTS = Admirals Club + oneworld J lounge LAX>
<non-AA emeralds on ALL AA FLIGHTS = Admirals Club + oneworld J lounge LAX + Flagship Lounge + QF F lounge LAX>

OTHER AIRPORTS

SFO - Admiral's Club (Centurion Lounge for a fee)
JFK - Admirals Club & Flagship Lounge for EXP/First 3-class/Emerald
MIA - Admiral's Club (Centurion Lounge for a fee), Oneworld Premium Lounge for EXP/First 3-Class/Emerald
PTY - No lounge access (Copa with PP, or for a fee, for 7am or later flights)
YVR - No lounge access (PP for a fee)
DFW - Admiral's Club (with F/C Dining for EXP/Emerald) (Centurion Lounge for a fee)

6. PTY Customs:
Inbound to PTY -
  • 12 noon - no lines reported
  • 8PM Fri (5/27/16) - ~10 min line

Outbound to MIA -
  • 4:40am - no lines reported
7. Finding flights:

NOTE: LAX-JFK NO LONGER VALID FOR LOWEST FARES (effective OCT 2016)

If you want the transcon bonus, enter the search with a connection in JFK. (e.g. LAX-JFK,JFK-MIA,MIA-PTY,PTY-JFK,JFK-SFO.) You can play around from there to get the best deal. Some of the better deals do not start and end in the same city (e.g. start in LAX, end in SFO may be cheaper than start/end in LAX).

Also, it's possible on the outbound portion to time it so you have no more than a 60-minute layover at JFK or MIA (though note that some of these flights aren't available on weekends). While yes, JFK is notorious for delays, this rarely applies for inbound red-eye flights. Also, note that AA 28 below is sometimes "hidden" if you're looking on Google Flights inside a much more expensive trip; that does not necessarily mean, however, that you can't get it for one of the trips under $1,000 (in other words, try it out to see).

NOTE: LAX-JFK NO LONGER VALID FOR LOWEST FARES (effective OCT 2016)

Below is the shortest-possible outbound itinerary that has the LAX-JFK transcon on AA's A321T with flat-bed seats:

LAX-JFK on AA 28
10:45pm - 7:22am

JFK-MIA on AA 200
8:15am - 11:24am
(Note: AA has now switched all of the metal it used on this leg - on all JFK-MIA nonstops - to 757s instead of the 767s with international-style F & J seating.)***767 and 772 are back. Flight 200 is a 772**

MIA-PTY on AA 4434
12:33pm - 2:48pm
(Note: Even more distressingly, AA switched from using a 737 on this leg to an RJ, presumably because summer is off-peak season in Central America. The 6:05pm flight still uses a 737 if a full-size aircraft is a must.)
Print Wikipost

AA: LAX-JFK-MIA-PTY RT $702 in A/J 18.9K EQMs

Old Sep 20, 2016, 7:24 pm

Anybody on these flights tmw?
9/21
913 (DCA-MIA)
1021 (MIA-PTY)
9/22
960 (PTY-MIA)
64 (MIA-JFK)

I'm going to be in the back of the bus wishing I was up front. Just curious if anybody else was on.
Thanks
Old Sep 22, 2016, 10:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP x 1.5, DL GM, JB, HH GLD
I am doing my first of these runs next week.https://goo.gl/flights/AwOC
Since I am ex-MIA, I worked in an overnight at home, before I finish doing the "Circle America" tour the following day. I have never been to Panama, so I am going to stay for a few days, to see the canal and actually visit. While I am doing a number of these runs, I always try to take advantage of visiting where I'm going.

I have another one of these at the beginning of November, timed to another already planned trip to LA, so no real positioning cost to factor in. My final jaunt to hit EXP will be to China and/or Hong Kong. That one will be more of an actual vacation as opposed to a pure MR. AA has had some amazingly reasonable fare sales of one kind or another on a regular basis, and I am very flexible time-wise. We'll see.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 10:29 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Hope all goes well for you as you move toward the EXP goal.

May I ask why you entered CLT into the transcon flights? Did that improve the price you paid?
Old Sep 22, 2016, 11:58 pm

Originally Posted by jcatman
Hope all goes well for you as you move toward the EXP goal.

May I ask why you entered CLT into the transcon flights? Did that improve the price you paid?
Yes. Better price by far, and a few more miles to boot. Plus timing, as I like red-eyes from the west coast, and I am positioning in from the east, so that 12:55 a.m. is my kind of transcon flight. I built in an overnight at home in MIA, which will break up the trip even further, along with my planned stay in PTY for two days.

Without starting yet, I am pretty sure that I am going to like this shorter hop, first/business MR, much more than an economy long-haul to Asia. I will be heading to China before the end of the year, but hope to upgrade to business.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 4:41 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Flyerhandle
I am doing my first of these runs next week.https://goo.gl/flights/AwOC
Since I am ex-MIA, I worked in an overnight at home, before I finish doing the "Circle America" tour the following day. I have never been to Panama, so I am going to stay for a few days, to see the canal and actually visit. While I am doing a number of these runs, I always try to take advantage of visiting where I'm going.

I have another one of these at the beginning of November, timed to another already planned trip to LA, so no real positioning cost to factor in. My final jaunt to hit EXP will be to China and/or Hong Kong. That one will be more of an actual vacation as opposed to a pure MR. AA has had some amazingly reasonable fare sales of one kind or another on a regular basis, and I am very flexible time-wise. We'll see.
Very few of my intl runs are true runs, in that I almost always stay at least a day. And a few days in a new country. Panama was new. My first trip went very well. Enjoyed it immensely though I didn't make it to the canal. I'm on #2 now and still can't seem to draw away from either Cinta Costera or my balcony at the Hard Rock.

Not sure what I'm missing from the ground but I got a great view of the canal from the flt in (sat on the R)!

I'll have close to 20k to EXP and was also looking at Asia. I must say, these fc UIO/PTY trips are sooo much better than my usual y to Asia. I only wished I'd grabbed just one more.

Enjoy Panama!
Old Sep 24, 2016, 9:45 am

Location: Loud, dark, warm, lots of ethernet cables, and in some rack space.
Programs: AA:EXP
Anyone have experience or knowledge on the AA4434 flight gates? I'm looking at a route where there's a 40 minute connection at PTY, but the flight numbers are exactly the same outbound as inbound. Are they the same aircraft + gate?

It would be nice if I just got off, sit in the gate area, and boarded on the same aircraft again!

Last edited by Server; Sep 24, 2016 at 11:51 am
Old Sep 24, 2016, 10:51 am

That is precisely what you can and should do. You have enough time to deplane; use the restroom; and then return to the same gate and participate in the mandatory security screening at the gate. Sometimes that secondary screening is limited. Sometimes it is VERY thorough.

Remember, the Public Address system in this airport is painful to the ear and incomprehensible. Moreover, I've seen them just start the boarding process without any announcement, and without any priority to first-class passengers. Truly.

I've experienced some great service on the E175 jet, both outbound and the return. If flight attendant Luis is working, you will be treated well. Just remember to bring your portable battery charger for your phone, and use Mobile Passport app for your smartphone for the return through customs in MIA.

Report back.
Old Sep 24, 2016, 12:30 pm

A thorough search in secondary screening can't be emphasized enough. Haha. I asked if they could be discreet and not pull everything out because I had some very valuable electronics I would rather everyone not see and the woman said its required by the CIA. I asked again who requires it and she said the CIA checks all bags. I had quite the chuckle.
Matthew is another friendly FA on this route. I had him a lot last year and this time too.
Old Sep 24, 2016, 1:01 pm

'Tis an entertaining screening. And, inconsistent.

Last month, I placed my bag on the conveyor belt. The bag came out the other end. They handed it to me. Took 10 seconds.

It's very, very subjective.
Old Sep 24, 2016, 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by MsSTL
Very few of my intl runs are true runs, in that I almost always stay at least a day. And a few days in a new country. Panama was new. My first trip went very well. Enjoyed it immensely though I didn't make it to the canal. I'm on #2 now and still can't seem to draw away from either Cinta Costera or my balcony at the Hard Rock.

Not sure what I'm missing from the ground but I got a great view of the canal from the flt in (sat on the R)!

I'll have close to 20k to EXP and was also looking at Asia. I must say, these fc UIO/PTY trips are sooo much better than my usual y to Asia. I only wished I'd grabbed just one more.

Enjoy Panama!
Thanks. I will. I am looking forward to it. Any good restaurant recs in PTY?
Old Sep 24, 2016, 2:21 pm

Question about lounge access on this MR.

Why doesn't PTY count as a Central American destination, which would allow for Flagship Lounge access, at least at JFK for the JFK-PTY flight?

Correction to the WIKI

The information about the transcon bonus miles is long out of date. I have previously suggested that it be corrected, but it has not been edited as of yet, and I have not been on here long enough to do so. The actual EQM/RDM figures probably also need to be updated to reflect the post-August 1 mileage program changes.
Old Sep 24, 2016, 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by Server
Anyone have experience or knowledge on the AA4434 flight gates? I'm looking at a route where there's a 40 minute connection at PTY, but the flight numbers are exactly the same outbound as inbound. Are they the same aircraft + gate?

It would be nice if I just got off, sit in the gate area, and boarded on the same aircraft again!
It's the same aircraft. Tomorrow I land at PTY, hop off the plane, wait a few minutes, and then re-board the same aircraft back to MIA.

I would be shocked if the aircraft switched gates.
Old Sep 24, 2016, 8:31 pm

Question about lounge access on this MR.

Why doesn't PTY count as a Central American destination, which would allow for Flagship Lounge access, at least at JFK for the JFK-PTY flight?
EXP do get FL access (where available) on this ITN. You DO have Flagship Check-in ONLY if you booked into FIRST on the LAX/SFO-JFK segment as many of have in the past or if you chose to upgrade those segments to first.

...Correction to the WIKI

The information about the transcon bonus miles is long out of date. I have previously suggested that it be corrected, but it has not been edited as of yet, and I have not been on here long enough to do so. The actual EQM/RDM figures probably also need to be updated to reflect the post-August 1 mileage program changes.

wiki updated about bonuses.

Last edited by Global321; Sep 25, 2016 at 6:02 pm Reason: Clarification
Old Sep 24, 2016, 8:48 pm

Location: Loud, dark, warm, lots of ethernet cables, and in some rack space.
Programs: AA:EXP
Originally Posted by jcatman
That is precisely what you can and should do. You have enough time to deplane; use the restroom; and then return to the same gate and participate in the mandatory security screening at the gate. Sometimes that secondary screening is limited. Sometimes it is VERY thorough.

Remember, the Public Address system in this airport is painful to the ear and incomprehensible. Moreover, I've seen them just start the boarding process without any announcement, and without any priority to first-class passengers. Truly.

I've experienced some great service on the E175 jet, both outbound and the return. If flight attendant Luis is working, you will be treated well. Just remember to bring your portable battery charger for your phone, and use Mobile Passport app for your smartphone for the return through customs in MIA.

Report back.
Great looks like I'm prepared! Booked it, definitely will report back!

Originally Posted by cruisin5268d
It's the same aircraft. Tomorrow I land at PTY, hop off the plane, wait a few minutes, and then re-board the same aircraft back to MIA.

I would be shocked if the aircraft switched gates.
Hehe made me think of the scene in Airplane!
Old Sep 24, 2016, 8:53 pm

Programs: UAL Silver!, Starwood Gold, Marriott Plat, AA Exec Platinum
LAX-ORD-MIA-PTY-MIA-ORD-LAX in First pricing out at $645 for December travel currently

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.