Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

AA: Reduced J Prices to Europe when purchasing via AA Vacations

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 19, 2016, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SpammersAreScum
AA Vacations / aavacations.com Flight and Ground Packages

Trust American Airlines to offer you the perfect package at the best price, guaranteed! When you choose to bundle your travel components into one package price we can offer you an unbeatable value by combining our unpublished low rates on flights with specially negotiated rates on hotels, activities and transportation. So, whether you're looking for a quick flight plus hotel weekend getaway or an all-inclusive package complete with flight, hotel, ground transportation and tickets to local attractions, you can rest easy knowing the entire trip is covered by our Lowest Price Guarantee.
Link to AA Vacations site website

FAQ

Q. Do these earn AA EQM and Award Miles (RDM)? Will they earn EQD (EQ Dollars) in 2017?

These generally book into discount paid fare buckets, so "Yes" at this time. There are a few promotional offers that do not earn EQM; these will clearly say so, so read thoroughly. See:

Special fares: Earning Award Miles and Elite Qualifying Credits on aa.com

and

Earning AA Elite Qualifying Miles / EQM on AA, oneworld, partners 2016

and this for the changes affecting Award Miles coming in the latter part of 2016.

Earning AA Award / Redeemable Miles / RDM on AA, partners later 2016

Q. Can I upgrade these with AA upgrade instruments (e500 "stickers", miles and copay, SWU)?

Currently, yes. These would follow the standard AA upgrade rules.

Q. Can I use AAdvantage Award Miles to "pay" for a vacation?

Yes. You can "pay" with money (cards, etc.), AAdvantage miles or a combination of both.

Q. So, what kinds of fares are ineligible for earning AA miles?

Certain airline tickets are not eligible for earning mileage credit. These include, without limitation, the following: all tickets issued as AAdvantage awards or other free ticket promotions including free or reduced rate tickets; companion tickets; charter flight tickets; travel agency/industry reduced rate tickets; infant tickets; items occupying a purchased seat; unpublished fare tickets, including consolidator fares, tickets issued as a result of a fare published inadvertently or by mistake and tickets issued subject to special provisions.

Link to AAdvantage Terms and Conditions
Exceptions (aa.com)

There are certain airline ticket types that are not eligible for mileage accrual regardless of the booking class. These include, without limitation, the following:

Q Are there any types of tickets that won’t earn award miles?

Yes, tickets that currently do not earn award miles, elite-qualifying miles or elite-qualifying segments will not earn award miles in the future. This includes:

• All tickets issued as AAdvantage awards

• Other free ticket promotions including free or reduced rate tickets

• Companion tickets

• Charter flight tickets

• Travel agency/industry reduced rate tickets

• Infant tickets

• Extra seats or items occupying a purchased seat

• Unpublished fare tickets, including consolidator fares

• Tickets issued subject to special provisions
Q. What about EQM and Award ("Redeemable") Miles earning later in 2016?

AA has specified a set of "Special Fares", which includes AA Vacations:

Some fares (such as bulk or consolidator fares) earn award miles and Elite Qualifying Dollars (EQDs) at a modified rate based on a percentage of the distance flown as determined by the booking code.

Special fares are often purchased through a specialized agent, third party or as part of a package including air transportation and lodging.

Examples:
  • Bulk fares

• Cruise fares

• Consolidator fares

• Discounted or inclusive tour packages

• Vacation packages, including American Airlines Vacations® (AAV) packages

• Other tickets where the fare isn't disclosed, excluding bookings made through priceline.com or hotwire.com where the carrier isn't disclosed before buying
Note that the Special Fares page also says, "AAdvantage elite member bonuses will be applied in addition to the percentages shown for award miles."

Q. What fare classes do First and Business packages book into?

Typically A for international First, A or P domestic F, and I or D international Business.

Q. What if I'm flying on a flight on a partner airline?

AA Vacations most often books into AA "code shares" / AA marketed flights. In that case, you'll earn miles as if flying on American. If it doesn't, you'll earn per the agreement AA has with the partner airline. Start here to look them up.

Q. What advance purchase restrictions are imposed?

Most advance purchase, minimum stay, etc. normally imposed by the airline don't apply; the restrictions are those imposed by AA Vacations. (Detailed Fare Rules for your fare generally do apply, however.)

Q. Are the trips or fares refundable?

Generally not fully refundable. Hotels and ground activities are generally not at all, and air will depend on the fare bucket and detailed rules. AA vacations does offer protection, but hotels etc. may not be included.

"There are two types of protection available: We offer the Cancellation and Change Waiver (Pre-Departure Protection) which allows you to cancel and/or change either the land or air portion of their package without penalty. Trip Protector (Post-Departure protection) from Allianz Global Assistance can provide protection for your trip expenses, your health and your belongings."

A waiver is usually $129.

Q. What is the shortest time I can book an air-hotel package for?

It appears three nights is the shortest period allowed by aavacations.

Q. Can I book a ten day package with only three days of prepaid hotel?

Sure. You'll have to call to do so, however.

Q. Is only one hotel offered?

No. A variety of properties is generally offered, but this will of course affect pricing.

Q. Does the hotel have to be in the destination city?

No. You can book a property in another city if it's offered by AA Vacations.

Q. What happens if I don't use the ground part (hotel, car, etc.)? Will they cancel my return flights?

Nothing. You can use it or forget it. No flight cancellations ensue. See AA Vacations - not checking in at Hotel Some purposely book the cheapest pricing for their trip knowing they're choosing a "throwaway hotel" they won't use.

Though one AA Vacations agent actually said "always book with us and just book the cheapest hotel for 3 days and throw it away", don't you say it's your intent.

Q. Will AA Vacations cause problems for me?

If you disclose your intent to AA Vacations to "throw away" (not stay at) the hotel, they can not sell you the package. So, don't.

Q. Will the hotel cause problems for me?

Not likely; they're paid for a prepaid stay whether you stay or not, as they get to keep the money and have "your" room to sell.

Q. Will I earn points at the hotel? Will they recognize my status?

Many chains don't recognize third party bookings for points or stay credit, but will usually recognize your status. Properties will treat as prepaid booking.

Q. Are there ever deals or promos?

Indeed. There are often sales and promotions; look for them on the site.

Q. What if I want to book open jaw or customize?

Calling can do that. There's a $39 call fee, unless it's not able to be booked online. Others have said you can generally calculate the price of an open jaw itinerary by adding half the price of pricing for vacations to the arrival and departure cities and adding those.

Q. Can I put these on "hold" while I think about it since these include air fare?

No. But: Refund of Air Ticket Portion Within 24 Hours of Purchase

Within 24 hours of booking, you are allowed to cancel your refundable or non-refundable air ticket for a full refund (and no change fees and/or difference in fare) subject to the following rules:
  • You must call 800-321-2121 within 24 hours of purchase to cancel the air ticket reservation and request a refund of the air ticket.
  • The reservation must have been booked at least 7 days before scheduled departure.
  • This policy does not apply to hotel or other non-air portions of the package. Standard cancellation policies will apply to all non-air components of the package.
  • Refunds are only issued for tickets booked on aavacations.com or with American Airlines Vacations Reservations.

Q. My AAdvantage credit card earns double Award ("Redeemable") Miles on AA purchases. Will AA Vacations purchases earn 2x miles?

No. What transactions are eligible to earn double AAdvantage® miles?

Eligible American Airlines purchases are items billed by American Airlines as the merchant of record booked through American Airlines channels (aa.com, American Airlines Reservations, American Airlines airport, in-flight and city ticket counters). American Airlines tickets purchased through other channels or that are a component of any other cruise or tour package do not earn the additional mile purchase bonuses. Products or services that do not qualify for the additional bonus miles include car rentals, hotel reservations, American Airlines Vacations packages, purchases of American Airlines AAdvantage miles, duty free purchases and or AA Cargo℠
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

Updated 20 Aug 2016 by SpammersAreScum
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2015, 6:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium

I can't take credit as I only noticed this due to this post - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/infor...ing-hotel.html

But, when I looked at flights originating in SEA I found a number of places in Europe (FCO/DUS/LIS/BCN) where the flight + hotel cost was ~$2200 for 1 person for Domestic F and TATL J flights. There may be some more options out there. I was looking at dates in early Jan '16 and saw a number of locations around this price, even on 1-2 day stays.
Old Sep 25, 2015, 7:09 pm

Do these book into a published booking class where you earn mileage that counts toward elite requalification?

Can you use EVIPs?
What about earning the 25,000 mile bonus they have for I/J/D/R fares through 1/31/16?

Last edited by chuck1; Sep 25, 2015 at 7:44 pm
Old Sep 25, 2015, 8:59 pm
Used to be 'flymanbeast'

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
Also discounts to tel aviv
Old Sep 26, 2015, 2:58 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by chuck1
Do these book into a published booking class where you earn mileage that counts toward elite requalification?

Can you use EVIPs?
What about earning the 25,000 mile bonus they have for I/J/D/R fares through 1/31/16?
Appears to book into A/D or A/I.
Old Sep 26, 2015, 12:08 pm

Thanks mikelat for sharing the link.^

I was able to book 3 tickets for two weeks in June 2016 from DEN-FCO for ~$2000 each (with 3 nights hotel in Rome) connecting through CLT.
DEN CLT - First (A) A320
CLT-FCO - Business (I) A330

Flew the AA/USAIR A330 business class this summer from PHL - CDG and found it very nice.

I actually called AA Vacations to see if I could add hotels for other cities in Italy or Croatia and found out that the bundled price requires only 3 nights hotel. The booking fee was waived because the itinerary could not be booked online with my changes.
Old Sep 26, 2015, 1:22 pm

Programs: Virtuoso Luxury Travel Agent; Bonvoy Titanium Elite; Hilton Diamond
Thanks for this - worked perfectly for a trip I had planned.
Old Sep 26, 2015, 5:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by mkadilla
Thanks mikelat for sharing the link.^

I was able to book 3 tickets for two weeks in June 2016 from DEN-FCO for ~$2000 each (with 3 nights hotel in Rome) connecting through CLT.
DEN CLT - First (A) A320
CLT-FCO - Business (I) A330

Flew the AA/USAIR A330 business class this summer from PHL - CDG and found it very nice.

I actually called AA Vacations to see if I could add hotels for other cities in Italy or Croatia and found out that the bundled price requires only 3 nights hotel. The booking fee was waived because the itinerary could not be booked online with my changes.
How did you limit the AA vacations search to 3 nights of hotel? I can't figure out how to do it, I want just the air!
Old Sep 26, 2015, 5:15 pm

Isn't it cheaper to book flight+car instead of flight+hotel?
Old Sep 26, 2015, 6:01 pm

Programs: I've gone underground!
It might be dead... I was in the middle of booking and got an "internal server error". Retried several times and switched browsers and had no luck.
Old Sep 26, 2015, 6:03 pm

Heads up, The Points Guy posted/tweeted about this.
Old Sep 26, 2015, 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by SFOPeter
How did you limit the AA vacations search to 3 nights of hotel? I can't figure out how to do it, I want just the air!
I called because I did not want to stay in one hotel for two weeks. I was told told that I needed a minimum of three days hotel to get the good airfare. I booked a cheap hotel for three nights. I may or may not use it? Either way, I had to call to book it. Even different the website is down, maybe a call might work?

Last edited by mkadilla; Sep 26, 2015 at 6:34 pm
Old Sep 26, 2015, 6:22 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by aa213bb
Heads up, The Points Guy posted/tweeted about this.
bloodsucking bloggers.
Old Sep 26, 2015, 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by mkadilla
I called because I did not want to stay in one hotel for two weeks. I was told told that I needed a minimum of three days hotel to get the good airfare. I got a booked a cheap hotel for tbree nights. I may or may not use it? Either way, I had to call to book it.
Thanks, I guess this is one time we should call the airline!
Old Sep 26, 2015, 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by SFOPeter
Thanks, I guess this is one time we should call the airline!
Call AA Vacations.
Old Sep 26, 2015, 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by izzik
bloodsucking bloggers.
Looks like they shut down the website @#%!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.