Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Premium Fare Deals
Reload this Page >

many dates/availability to yyz-dfw-hkg-dfw-yyz i class (business)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2015, 1:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA:EXP, GLD:A.Argen., Etihad; Turk SIL:UA, VS; HOT.GLD:ClubC, Loews, SPG; PL:Ritz, Hil, IHG, BtW., R

Confirmed on the new 787 after 6/4. At approximately $2,700, not a steal. However, it will be difficult to upgrade (even for EXP with SWU's) out of DFW-HKG, and this allows you to go all the way in business class on the new Dreamliner, which should be a nice experience. Let's hope the food is a little better than of late. The domestic is old Y class food-simply disgusting.

Since the YYZ-DFW is so early in the am (7 am I think) and the return does not get in until after 11 PM, you have to spend 2 nights in a Toronto hotel. That is not dirt cheap (Marriott at $359 downtown). However, it is a good launching off place to do an open jaw, and MIA-YYZ is $134 one way. So I got it ticketed. HOpe I can go now with work. I see you can tell if you are an addicted miles run person if you see a good fare, buy it, then work it around work! LOL.

Since this is my first post, please forgive me if t is not the absolute correct format.
Old May 5, 2015, 7:40 am

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Kimpton IC; IHG Diamond Ambassador;
Originally Posted by rodsren
Confirmed on the new 787 after 6/4. At approximately $2,700, not a steal. However, it will be difficult to upgrade (even for EXP with SWU's) out of DFW-HKG, and this allows you to go all the way in business class on the new Dreamliner, which should be a nice experience. Let's hope the food is a little better than of late. The domestic is old Y class food-simply disgusting.

Since the YYZ-DFW is so early in the am (7 am I think) and the return does not get in until after 11 PM, you have to spend 2 nights in a Toronto hotel. That is not dirt cheap (Marriott at $359 downtown). However, it is a good launching off place to do an open jaw, and MIA-YYZ is $134 one way. So I got it ticketed. HOpe I can go now with work. I see you can tell if you are an addicted miles run person if you see a good fare, buy it, then work it around work! LOL.

Since this is my first post, please forgive me if t is not the absolute correct format.
I don't want to burst your bubble, but DFW-HKG is not operated by the 787 Dreamliner.

It is; however, on the B777-300ER, which features fantastic business class seating.

Nice price nonetheless.
Old May 5, 2015, 7:47 am

Originally Posted by rodsren

Not the 787, but the 77W.

About $3000-$3100 from most cities in the USA... XXX-DFW-HKG.

Wide open right now.
Old May 5, 2015, 8:36 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Avis Pres Club
As others have said, it's the 77W - which is a fantastic bird. I'd probably prefer it over the 787 (though, as none of us have ever flown American's 787, I guess I can't say!)

There are some decent airport hotels for much less than the Marriott rate you quoted, and a reminder that even if you are checking luggage, you can book a flight from DFW-MIA on the return and not have to go all the way to YYZ and spend a night, since you will need to collect your luggage and recheck it after customs.
Old May 6, 2015, 6:25 am

Programs: UA-1Kmm, AA-EX Plt mm-, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by 110pgl

Wide open right now.
Correct it is available from many US cities. I have booked a couple of these. UA is also matching the fare with connections via ORD & EWR as long as you start the trip elsewhere.
Old May 6, 2015, 8:27 am

Programs: TK Elite
I'm glad it's on the 77W, the layout they chose for their 787 defeats all logic in my opinion, why on earth would they make some seats face each other???
Old May 6, 2015, 2:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP; UA 1P
Originally Posted by dungeonlurker
There are some decent airport hotels for much less than the Marriott rate you quoted, and a reminder that even if you are checking luggage, you can book a flight from DFW-MIA on the return and not have to go all the way to YYZ and spend a night, since you will need to collect your luggage and recheck it after customs.
This is *not* true when you are connecting internationally (eg, Country A - DFW - Country C). They tag the bag through to YYZ and you don't pick it up at DFW.
Old May 6, 2015, 3:45 pm

Programs: US Air Chairman's, SPG Plat, UA Platinum
Originally Posted by rafatmit
This is *not* true when you are connecting internationally (eg, Country A - DFW - Country C). They tag the bag through to YYZ and you don't pick it up at DFW.
In the US, all arriving passengers must clear US Customs and Immigration, while the bag may be tagged to YYZ, you will physically need to reclaim it in DFW (or the first point of arrival in the US) and place it on the baggage recheck belt, if you don't place it on the belt then you can simply tear the tag off if that's what you want at that point.
Old May 6, 2015, 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by FLYDCA
Correct it is available from many US cities. I have booked a couple of these. UA is also matching the fare with connections via ORD & EWR as long as you start the trip elsewhere.
Correct.
Old May 6, 2015, 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by CarterS
In the US, all arriving passengers must clear US Customs and Immigration, while the bag may be tagged to YYZ, you will physically need to reclaim it in DFW (or the first point of arrival in the US) and place it on the baggage recheck belt, if you don't place it on the belt then you can simply tear the tag off if that's what you want at that point.
I have done this precise trip within the last few months and it is *not* true that if you are connecting to an international flight, you still pick up your trip and recheck it. They made repeated announcements that you did not need to do so if you were connecting internationally (i.e., on both an international arrival and an international departure), and there was a tag to that effect. I know the normal U.S. process of clearing customs at your first arrival, but this is different.
Old May 6, 2015, 5:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, Bonvoy Ambassador, HH Diamond,
Anyone have dates or suggested way to book this?
Old May 6, 2015, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by 110pgl
Not the 787, but the 77W.

Wide open right now.
Dates?
Old May 6, 2015, 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by rafatmit
I have done this precise trip within the last few months and it is *not* true that if you are connecting to an international flight, you still pick up your trip and recheck it. They made repeated announcements that you did not need to do so if you were connecting internationally (i.e., on both an international arrival and an international departure), and there was a tag to that effect. I know the normal U.S. process of clearing customs at your first arrival, but this is different.
I did this exact trip.... HKG->DFW->YYZ back in early March and you absolutely DID have to pick up your bag in DFW before going through customs and passport control and then RE-CHECKING it even through it was tagged in HKG to go to YYZ!

Why would this one flight combination be an exception to how it is always done when entering the United States?
Old May 6, 2015, 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by Burj
I did this exact trip.... HKG->DFW->YYZ back in early March and you absolutely DID have to pick up your bag in DFW before going through customs and passport control and then RE-CHECKING it even through it was tagged in HKG to go to YYZ!

Why would this one flight combination be an exception to how it is always done when entering the United States?
Interesting. This previous thread corroborates my account but suggests that it's a YMMV situation.

Similarly, from the MIA website:

• International flights connecting to U.S. destinations - claim luggage before clearing U.S. Customs.
• International flights connecting to international destinations (ITI) - confirm with your airline if your luggage was checked directly to your final destination or if you have to collect it before clearing U.S. Customs.
In any event, my experience is that you cannot count on having access to your bags at DFW, connecting HKG-DFW-Canada.

Edited to add: From the AA website:

International to International (ITI) Service

At American Airlines, our goal is to provide a convenient and comfortable flight experience for every customer. With American’s “International to International” service, customers flying through Dallas Fort Worth International Airport (DFW) to another International destination (third country), can continue to their next flight without picking up checked baggage at DFW.

Note: Customers in transit to a third country must still clear US Immigration and Customs upon arrival at DFW.

Last edited by rafatmit; May 6, 2015 at 7:31 pm Reason: Added info from aa.com
Old May 6, 2015, 8:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, Bonvoy Ambassador, HH Diamond,
Woohoo! Found it. Need help. Will PayPal $50 to anyone who helps me with my goal and I book the recommended itinerary.

I held flights for Thursday, June 11th (arriving the 12th around 6:00pm), returning Monday, June 15th departing around 1:30 pm.

Here's my goal: Hit platinum status over this weekend. I have 3,100 EQPs and 4,100 EQMs currently with only one other trip booked in a week and a half XNA-DFW-MCO and back in first class.

I'm willing to spend up to $3k to fly enough, in business, on oneworld to get Platinum by the time I land home from HKG. In essence I'm looking for a set of flights that leaves after 6:00 pm Friday June 12th from HKG and arrives back in time to catch my 1:30 departure home on June 15th.

I'll be taking carry on only, but don't know the rules as to whether I'll have to go through Customs and Immigration or whether I can stay airside in HKG.

Extra points if I don't have to get a hotel for the whole trip. Additional extra points if the nested trip is full flat seating rather than angle flat.

Rough math tells me I should earn about 24,000 EQPs on the AA segments, plus the 3,100 I already have, plus another 3,000 or so I think I'll earn going to Orlando. So ballpark (and please correct me if I'm wrong), I will need about 20,000 EQPs for the nested trip?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.