Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Premium Fare Deals
Reload this Page >

(Business) Star/Skyteam: YYZ/YUL/YVR-CPT/JNB $2600ish

Old Feb 14, 15, 3:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT

Star/Skyteam: YYZ/YUL/YVR-CPT/JNB $2600ish RT

• Valid April 13-Aug 31
  • 7 day minimum
  • Booking class: Star: P; KL/AF: Z
  • Example: LX YYZ-ZRH-JNB-CPT, June 17-24, $2576, orbitz.com
  • Example: LH YUL-FRA-JNB-CPT-JNB-FRA-YUL, June 7-21, $2602, orbitz.com
  • Example: AF YVR-CDG-JNB-CDG-YVR, May 20-26, $2578, orbitz.com

Seems similar to last year's fares. Other Canada-Africa options may be out there.

Last edited by timid_trnchcoat; Feb 14, 15 at 6:06 pm
Old Feb 14, 15, 4:49 pm

Programs: DL DM
Nice find, thanks. Tempting. If only AF had lie flats in
business...
Old Feb 14, 15, 5:11 pm

One stopover in Europe allowed.
Old Feb 14, 15, 5:15 pm

Programs: DL DM/1MM
Cool that this is back on again. I bought one during the last SkyTeam sale for similar pricing, though I was able to add stopovers in AMS in both directions.
Old Feb 14, 15, 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by tracon View Post
I did a multi-city, forcing a CDG stopover, but the fare was very high. Is there a better way to add a stopover in Europe?

Also, for the time period I'm looking at (June/July), I'm seeing mostly DL/KL and a few AC/BA, but no AF.
Old Feb 14, 15, 7:49 pm

Indeed a very nice find.
Old Feb 14, 15, 7:58 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Alaska MVP Gold, AA Platinum
indirectly related to this topic, i poked around BA's fare to CPT... $1300 for BA's premium economy openjaw flight from YYZ/YUL to CPT via JNB, and return back to IAD, LAX (only two that i am looking but similar fares)...

look at late sept trip abt 4-7 days since i want to spend a week-long holiday in ZA. good way to knock down AA EXP requirement, i suppose!
Old Feb 14, 15, 8:27 pm

Originally Posted by tracon View Post
Just checked and the fare rules for AF/KL fare basis ZP78CA both allow for two stopovers in AMS/PAR.

Originally Posted by sfvoyage View Post
I did a multi-city, forcing a CDG stopover, but the fare was very high. Is there a better way to add a stopover in Europe?

Also, for the time period I'm looking at (June/July), I'm seeing mostly DL/KL and a few AC/BA, but no AF.
What tool are you using to search? I'm looking at Matrix and there are definitely plenty of dates in Jun and Jul that are available with AF. And it is possible to book with the stopovers, but you may need to do a flexible date search to find eligible flights. But you are correct in that multi-city searches are really the only way to force a stopover.
Old Feb 14, 15, 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by 18sas View Post
What tool are you using to search? I'm looking at Matrix and there are definitely plenty of dates in Jun and Jul that are available with AF. And it is possible to book with the stopovers, but you may need to do a flexible date search to find eligible flights. But you are correct in that multi-city searches are really the only way to force a stopover.
I just went on Matrix and used the multi-city to force a CDG stopover, and I did find availability in Jun-Aug and the good fare including the CDG stopover. I then went on airfrance.com to input the exact itinerary that I had found on Matrix, but airfrance.com gave me a much higher fare, and it did not give me the nonstop CDG-JNB flight (instead routing me via AMS on KL).

I am afraid I am a novice with Matrix. How is it possible to book the fare found on Matrix? (I thought one finds the fare on Matrix and then contacts the airline directly to book the exact itinerary. Do I need to call AF instead of using their website?)

Last edited by sfvoyage; Feb 14, 15 at 8:40 pm
Old Feb 14, 15, 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by sfvoyage View Post
I just went on Matrix and used the multi-city to force a CDG stopover, and I did find availability in Jun-Aug and the good fare including the CDG stopover. I then went on airfrance.com to input the exact itinerary that I had found on Matrix, but airfrance.com gave me a much higher fare, and it did not give me the nonstop CDG-JNB flight (instead routing me via AMS on KL).

I am afraid I am a novice with Matrix. How is it possible to book the fare found on Matrix? (I thought one finds the fare on Matrix and then contacts the airline directly to book the exact itinerary. Do I need to call AF instead of using their website?)
If you're up for the challenge, you can try this method that will allow you purchase it at delta.com.

You could also try Expedia or Orbitz too, but it's harder to force them to pick the exact flights you want.

As a last resort, you can call. This isn't an error fare, so there's no risk of them killing the deal. I would also recommend calling DL, though I think that DL handles all of AF customer service in the US anyway. They can easily ticket this. That's how I booked mine back last June. I actually called 3 separate times and cancelled and rebooked until I got the exact routing I wanted, and it even included a leg on SA. But depending on your status with DL, you may have a $35 booking fee added.
Old Feb 14, 15, 11:21 pm

Originally Posted by 18sas View Post
If you're up for the challenge, you can try this method that will allow you purchase it at delta.com.

You could also try Expedia or Orbitz too, but it's harder to force them to pick the exact flights you want.

As a last resort, you can call. This isn't an error fare, so there's no risk of them killing the deal. I would also recommend calling DL, though I think that DL handles all of AF customer service in the US anyway. They can easily ticket this. That's how I booked mine back last June. I actually called 3 separate times and cancelled and rebooked until I got the exact routing I wanted, and it even included a leg on SA. But depending on your status with DL, you may have a $35 booking fee added.
Thanks, I was able to book my desired itinerary on Expedia:

Jul/Aug AF: YVR-CDG-JNB-CPT and back for US$2,669 r/t all-in. (The domestic JNB-CPT sectors are on Kulula for Comair.)
Old Feb 15, 15, 1:12 am

Programs: AC SE100K, AA EXP, SPG Plt, HH Dmnd
Star fares seem to have a 30 day maximum stay built in at this price, longer stays add 500.
Old Feb 15, 15, 3:13 am

Programs: BA Gold, Kris Flyer, Skywards, Accor Gold, Radisson Gold
Has anyone found anything similar ex Europe to JNB or CPT?
Old Feb 15, 15, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by timid_trnchcoat View Post

Seems similar to last year's fares. Other Canada-Africa options may be out there.
yeah, just no min stay ... which was nice. The 7 day min kills it for me.
Old Feb 15, 15, 4:50 pm

Programs: DL Diamond; Marriott Titanium
Seems like a great deal

Search this Thread
Search Engine: