Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Premium Fare Deals
Reload this Page >

"We got a new subforum -- I'm so happy/I'm so sad" DISCUSSION THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"We got a new subforum -- I'm so happy/I'm so sad" DISCUSSION THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2014, 11:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Can we please move all the meta-discussion into another thread? None of it has anything to do with the thread topic. This thread should be for deals that don't necessarily warrant their own thread.
With the new subforum, all deals warrant their own threads by definition. That is the entire intent of the new subforum.

The meta discussion could be moved, but this thread should be locked in that case after it has been moved as this thread no longer will serve its original purpose. I feel it is valuable to let this thread remain open for discussion whilst the guidelines are being discussed amongst the moderators. Not all of us post regularly in the Talkboard subforum, or in the discussion that related to this vote that created this subforum.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 12:05 am

Programs: AS, BA, AA
Originally Posted by jpdx
We just had this forum dumped into our laps this morning, without advance warning (and time to confer and make decisions). We'll be working on guidelines about what's to be posted where and in what formats. Please give us a few days.

--jpdx, MR Moderator
Originally Posted by kokonutz
This post is completely inaccurate.

This subforum has been a topic of discussion by the TalkBoard for several years, and it came up again on October 8.
Originally Posted by OverThereTooMuch
Not really. Vote started almost a week ago. Forum was approved 5 days ago. No date was set for it, but it's not like this should've been a shocker.
It sounds like two of you are making the somewhat flawed assumption that the mods pay any attention to what happens in TalkBoard.

This forum was certainly a shocker to me.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 12:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
When a change of this magnitude was being discussed, wouldn't you think that at least one of the "Talkers" would post a note here to alert the people that actually use this part of the forum and that would be impacted by any changes? You would at least think they'd want to poll support and get input from the people that actually use this thread.

For previous "Talkboard" discussions, I've noticed stickies being used to alert people. This was not done for this change. No-one ever mentioned, over here, that this discussion was going on in the background.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 12:36 am

Really good change. It would be nice if the title also had information if the fare is for First or Business.

Thankyou anyway.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 3:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by irishguy28
When a change of this magnitude was being discussed, wouldn't you think that at least one of the "Talkers" would post a note here to alert the people that actually use this part of the forum and that would be impacted by any changes? You would at least think they'd want to poll support and get input from the people that actually use this thread.

For previous "Talkboard" discussions, I've noticed stickies being used to alert people. This was not done for this change. No-one ever mentioned, over here, that this discussion was going on in the background.
+1
Old Oct 24, 2014, 4:41 am
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Originally Posted by zambonisk
+1 ^ :-: ^
Such a gift! +100000000000000000
Old Oct 24, 2014, 4:53 am

Programs: Air: QR Silver. BA Silver Emirates, Hotels: CC Gold, IHG Spire AMB, Hilton Diamond.
Thumbs up What's to dislike ?!

I like the new thread ^
Old Oct 24, 2014, 6:28 am

Originally Posted by Unterwegs
It would be nice if the title also had information if the fare is for First or Business.
+1^ I was going to ask the same thing - it makes a huge difference on some of these.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 6:50 am

Programs: Amtrak Select Plus, Marriott Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond
What they said. Thank you for the sub-forum!!!!
Old Oct 24, 2014, 10:01 am
Suspended

Programs: Emirates
Excellent!!!
Old Oct 24, 2014, 10:38 am

This is great - much more navigable and separated into nice bite sized chunks!
Old Oct 24, 2014, 12:48 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM
Originally Posted by brinks101
+1^ I was going to ask the same thing - it makes a huge difference on some of these.
I would think that the bulk of the deals reported would be for J, so I would recommend that that would be default, and threads should only be marked as F if that isn't the case.

Also, I believe the W (Premium Economy) deals are also allowed here, so those without a doubt should be marked as such.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 12:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by jpdx
We just had this forum dumped into our laps this morning, without advance warning (and time to confer and make decisions). We'll be working on guidelines about what's to be posted where and in what formats. Please give us a few days.

--jpdx, MR Moderator
What a disappointing response/verbiage. BTW - your fellow mod, tcook052, actively participated in the discussion thread in TB when the sub-forum was being discussed. I'm surprised he didn't let you know about the discussion, motion & vote.

Originally Posted by Far Siren
How so? I was under the impression that the TalkBoard had to vote on the creation of new forums. I did not see any discussion about this at all. How did this forum just "appear" out of nowhere?

BTW - not complaining. It was long overdue.
TB does vote on creation of new forums & did have discussion on it.

Originally Posted by kokonutz
This post is completely inaccurate.

This subforum has been a topic of discussion by the TalkBoard for several years, and it came up again on October 8.

A motion was made for the new forum on October 17.

It was announced that the motion for the new forum would pass on October 18.

This forum was created today.

Here is the motion:

I hope the moderators will read the 'legislative intent' of the TalkBoard in creating this new subforum. The idea was a thread for a fare (or fare trend), the thread allows for discussion of the fare, and the fare title is changed to "[fare expired]..." when the fare expires, but the thread stays open for discussion of that fare.
koko covers it pretty well in terms of when it was discussed previously, most recently, motion & vote & intent with the forum.

Originally Posted by janetdoe
It sounds like two of you are making the somewhat flawed assumption that the mods pay any attention to what happens in TalkBoard.
Well one did at least because he actively participated in the discussion thread.

Originally Posted by irishguy28

From what I can tell, some FTers that use the thread/forum were among those who participated in the discussion of creating a sub-forum. It was due to them bumping up the prior years discussion thread re: a premium fares sub-forum& asking TB to consider it again (saying the mega-thread had gotten unwieldy/was too hard to follow) that started the most recent discussion & eventual motion/vote. koko posted initial idea of the motion & description & it was then refined by input from FTers who participate in the mega-thread before getting to final motion stage.

Usually there is a site-wide announcement referencing a motion/vote & providing a link to the thread in TB for input. In this case there was such a short period of time between when the vote was opened & it had secured the number of votes to pass that the CommunityDirector didn't have time to get the sitewide announcement created.

We're pleased that most of the response to the new sub-forum has been positive & hope you'll find it useful.

Cheers.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Add me to the delighted consensus about this sub-forum being created. ^

If I could request a sticky at the top of the forum, it would ask posters to:

1. Be clear on whether they are posting one-way of round-trip fairs in their thread titles.
2. Make clear whether the fares are in first or business class. (Or, in view of the previous comments saying that business class is assumed, make clear in the thread titles if the itineraries include international F.)

Again, thanks for this very useful addition to FT!
Old Oct 24, 2014, 1:11 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

I'm going to ask that you not take this thread further off topic. My post was meant to explain that all of us mods lead busy lives, and simply did not have any advance warning that this forum would be opened so soon, and thus don't have a welcome message with posting rules ready. The final vote announcement was made 10/23 at 5.42am, and I learned of this forum's creation when the first RBP arrived in my inbox around 8am that day.

With respect to the forum creation, there was no opportunity to post the customary "vote is open" announcement in the forum and solicit greater feedback, because the vote was announced in the TB forum at 1.15pm (PST) on 10/17, and I didn't even catch that thread before "vote will pass" was announced a mere 17 hours later (6.09am on 10/17).

I'm posting this information to provide some context for our members; please keep in mind that your moderators are volunteers who occasionally have commitments outside of FT. We are working on new rules and will be posting a welcome message in the next few days.

Please refrain from further discussion of this issue ... it's off topic for this thread and will be deleted (as will be some of the back-and-forth on the last few pages, including this message) once the new rules have been posted.

--jpdx, MR Moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.