Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Premium Fare Deals
Reload this Page >

Good Deal Premium Fares 2014

Old Jan 4, 2014, 10:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: skunker
  • Fare feels too good to be true? Don't call the airline!
  • Double-check that the fare is actually in Business or First as some online search engines or OTAs confuse booking classes on some airlines.
  • Post as much detail as possible about the First/Business fare, including: fare class, fare basis, one-way/round-trip, sales channel, sample dates and total price (including taxes).
  • When posting fare rules, please enclose them in a [COĐE][/COĐE] block. Note the use of the eth (Đ) instead of a capital D here to prevent the forum software from trying to insert an actual block. Be sure you use the capital D.
  • Refrain from posting fare requests or engaging in off topic debates such as fare trends, specific aircraft configuration or visa requirements
  • The deeply discounted international fares discussed here are almost always specific to a certain point of origin, and only very rarely work in reverse (e.g. a SFO-LHR-SFO fare usually won't work LHR-SFO-LHR). Domestic fares more commonly work in reverse.
  • Please include important information such as operating airline, fare classes, city pairs, etc. in the body of your post rather than the post title field as it is not visible to those reading FT on mobile devices. This is not the "trick it" thread. Please do not speak in code.
  • Please do not post large images. Not everyone has infinite resolution, and it makes the rest of the thread very difficult to read. If it's not important enough to type in, it's not important enough to be here.
  • Last but not least: don't call the airline!

Note: There is a known miscoding on ITA and elsewhere, where fares on EI (Aer Lingus) are showing as being in first class. This is not correct, as Aer Lingus does not offer first class. If you see this fare, please ignore it and do not post it here as it is completely unbookable in every sense of the term. The mods are summarily deleting these posts in order to unclutter the thread.

Note: There is a known miscoding on ITA and elsewhere, where Z fares on EY (Etihad) are showing as being in first class. This is not correct, as Z fares are discount business on EY. These fares will not receive chaffeur service. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/etihad-airways-etihad-guest/1622229-removal-chauffeur-service-some-business-class-passengers.html

List of known, active deals:

JNB-DXB-SFO in EK F, $4k-ish one-way
MLE-HKG-US (various) in C, $1400 +/- available only on CX's website.
CMB-MIA, other US cities, for about $4400 in F, round-trip/return

BA AARP $400 discount for J/F bookings is now valid again for booking until 31 Oct 2014 but departure to EOS seems to get the discount. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1435816-ba-fare-discounts-aarp-4.html
Print Wikipost

Good Deal Premium Fares 2014

Old Aug 21, 2014, 4:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by timid_trnchcoat
Not sure I have seen this posted, but 9W also has some reasonable one-way fares to USA, like BKK-JFK for $1450-$1550 on vayama. Routing is BKK-BOM/DEL-AUH-JFK where one can choose 9W-coded EY-operated flights for India-JFK segments. Fare construction is BKK-BOM/DEL + BOM/DEL-JFK.
these were only available between the 15th-19th of this month as part of their 'freedom sale'....
Old Aug 21, 2014, 5:34 am
Used to be highman123

from San Francisco to Montego Bay $1,006

$1,006 - First Class

Departure from: San Francisco (SFO)

Destination: Montego Bay (MBJ)

Stops: Charlotte (CLT), Phoenix (PHX)

Airline(s): US Airways

Sample dates: Jan 31 – Feb 1

Total miles flown: 7,045 miles

Fare class: First (A)

Cost per mile flown (the lower the better): 14
Old Aug 21, 2014, 5:41 am

Originally Posted by Unterwegs
Just make sure that it really books in A or F. Last time I booked one of these UP-Fares to First I got only Economy miles on M+M
You should have a pretty high chance of getting the F miles when you send in your booking confirmation with A/F clearly visible.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 7:17 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by silentbob1974
Are you sure? I think this is an "UP" fare, do we know for a fact that LH credits it as A/F instead of the underlying coach booking code?
I tried this one on United.com, and got this (partial):

$771 7 tickets at this price

Depart: 2:10 p.m. Tue., Jan. 6, 2015 Seattle, WA (SEA)
Arrive: 7:54 p.m. Tue., Jan. 6, 2015 Chicago, IL (ORD - O'Hare)
Flight Time: 3 hr 44 mn Distance: 1,720 miles Flight: UA961
Fare Class: United First (A)

But I do not know as a fact how LH would credit this. It would seem that there is a case for A/F ....

Originally Posted by Lack
FTV isn't worth 1.5k USD.
You'd get 325% with the exec bonus after hitting that tier, so five would be enough for SEN status. Worth it? Maybe.
You're probably right that FT status isn't worth $1500 in and of itself. I wouldn't buy it outright for that from point zero.
But there are a few factors to consider:

Since LH gives status for two years, and is now on a calendar year basis, you can get just about 3 years of status for these runs - the two years they give you, plus the remainder of the year in which you qualify.

LH miles now expire in 3 years. There are only two ways to prolong them, a credit card with a monthly usage or status (which then resets the drop date to 3 years after your status expires)
If you have a load of LH miles ready to fall off, this is a relatively cheap 6 year postponement.

The value of 39000 RDM which you would accrue in getting there. At 1.5 cpm ....
Old Aug 21, 2014, 7:28 am

Originally Posted by bobbysfca
I tried this one on United.com, and got this (partial):

$771 7 tickets at this price

Depart: 2:10 p.m. Tue., Jan. 6, 2015 Seattle, WA (SEA)
Arrive: 7:54 p.m. Tue., Jan. 6, 2015 Chicago, IL (ORD - O'Hare)
Flight Time: 3 hr 44 mn Distance: 1,720 miles Flight: UA961
Fare Class: United First (A)

But I do not know as a fact how LH would credit this. It would seem that there is a case for A/F ....
I understand that these flights are marketed as A and book into the first-class cabin, but when you click on the fare rules, it is usually not an A fare basis but one in coach like V, U, W, etc.

See this thread for more discussion.

If it were clear how LH credits these types of flights, I'd seriously consider jumping to M&M once MileagePlus goes revenue-based next year. I asked about this in the LH newbie thread two months ago but no one ever responded one way or the other.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 12:22 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by silentbob1974
I understand that these flights are marketed as A and book into the first-class cabin, but when you click on the fare rules, it is usually not an A fare basis but one in coach like V, U, W, etc.

See this thread for more discussion.

If it were clear how LH credits these types of flights, I'd seriously consider jumping to M&M once MileagePlus goes revenue-based next year. I asked about this in the LH newbie thread two months ago but no one ever responded one way or the other.
So I went thru the process, and finally got this as a fare basis:

LFA14AHN

Great.
L, followed by F, followed by A.
Clears it right up ....
Old Aug 21, 2014, 1:09 pm

Programs: AA Explat / UA Silver
Originally Posted by bobbysfca
So I went thru the process, and finally got this as a fare basis:

LFA14AHN

Great.
L, followed by F, followed by A.
Clears it right up ....

It's the first letter in the fare basis that denotes booking class, so this looks like an L fare (L-UP).
Old Aug 21, 2014, 1:20 pm

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Just booked BRU-DOH-DXB return for a shade under Ł1200 in J. Long haul segments on the Dreamliner.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 1:25 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium.;UA 1.5MM; UA Lifetime Gold (whoppee); DL Plat
Originally Posted by Wozza2404
Just booked BRU-DOH-DXB return for a shade under Ł1200 in J. Long haul segments on the Dreamliner.
On?????????
Old Aug 21, 2014, 1:28 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by boss315
On?????????
100% sure it is on QR.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by skunker
100% sure it is on QR.
Indeed, and DOH-DXB is actually in (short-haul) F. Many dates available for September (at least).
Old Aug 21, 2014, 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by MGW2000
It's the first letter in the fare basis that denotes booking class, so this looks like an L fare (L-UP).
The first letter of the fare basis is often the same as the booking class / RBD, but there are several exceptions (typically, involving UP fares and fare combinations).

I cannot speak to M&M, but in my experience, UP fares are always credited by booking class / RBD - in this case A. Please note, I'm referring to fares sold into Business or First, not any economy fare that is then upgraded via an "instant upgrade" status mechanism.

Here is the booking class table for this fare:

22 SEANYC 07NOV14 UA USD 730.00 LFA14AHN STAY- V/-- BK-A

FARE CLS EXPLANATION BOOK CODES
-------- ---------------------- ----------
LFA14AHN FARE BY RULE A

NO BOOKING CODE EXCEPTIONS FOR CARRIER - USE PRIME

Last edited by Cohiba; Aug 21, 2014 at 3:50 pm
Old Aug 21, 2014, 4:59 pm

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Originally Posted by MightyTravels
$1,006 - First Class

Depending on your programme can do SFO-LAX as the first and last legs for about $50 extra (great marginal return of British Airways tier points) - nice findmightytravels
Old Aug 21, 2014, 5:15 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by MightyTravels
$1,006 - First Class

I found it on Delta, SAN-MBJ via ATL, for $1133, departure Jan 26, return Jan 29.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 1:41 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by Epicura
Indeed, and DOH-DXB is actually in (short-haul) F. Many dates available for September (at least).
Sorry, it is indeed QR. For those in BAEC the short haul F leg makes this a 400TP trip.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.