Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Airlines Changing Software to Allow Hyphenated Names

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2009, 12:49 pm
Original Poster

Just booked for a family member with a hyphenated name at continental.com, it accepted it where it had not in the past. I also checked at nwa.com and it was willing to take a hyphen as well.

Presumably for Secure Flight.
Old Sep 24, 2009, 1:08 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Soundex-like technology rendered irrelevant the issue of hyphens in names for systems that used names as some kind of (ineffective) (in)security measure to screen passenger names.

Given that hyphens drop in and out amongst various government ID-issuing-entities/systems (sometimes even within a particular agency/system), this seems to be yet another exercise in futility.
Old Sep 24, 2009, 9:17 pm

Programs: PC Plat/Amb
Now if they could get rid of the crap software that adds the middle initial to the end of the first name. Nothing like changing a masculine name to a feminine one by adding an "A".

Yes DAL, I'm talking to YOU.
Old Sep 24, 2009, 9:34 pm

Anybody know what the purpose of the hyphen in a last name is? My wife and I considered a merger of our last names because I think we considered the hyphen hokey. In the end, we just kept our birth names. Oddly, even today, there are people who hear different last names and assume we're unmarried. Kinda dumb, I think. Such people are really in their own universe.
But software doesn't trip us up.
Old Sep 25, 2009, 1:24 am

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
Actually, the airlines did not change any of their sofware (i.e. reservations system).

All they did was modify their web interface (online booking front end) to accept hypens. However, behind the scenes, the hyphen is later coverted to a space. This saves them from having to present a screen to the user with an error message saying that the "-" is not an acceptable character.

So if you entered the following when booking online:

First Name: John-Paul
Last Name: Doe-Smith

It gets converted to DOE SMITH/JOHN PAUL in the airline reservations system (the "-" entered online gets omitted).
Old Sep 25, 2009, 2:30 am

Originally Posted by daniellam
Actually, the airlines did not change any of their sofware (i.e. reservations system).

All they did was modify their web interface (online booking front end) to accept hypens. However, behind the scenes, the hyphen is later coverted to a space. This saves them from having to present a screen to the user with an error message saying that the "-" is not an acceptable character.

So if you entered the following when booking online:

First Name: John-Paul
Last Name: Doe-Smith

It gets converted to DOE SMITH/JOHN PAUL in the airline reservations system (the "-" entered online gets omitted).
Ah, yes, the cheap way to change things, at the interface. That's the Bill Gates factor, master of Potemkin software.
Old Sep 25, 2009, 7:20 am

Programs: UA AA DL US HH
Originally Posted by LuvAirFrance
Ah, yes, the cheap way to change things, at the interface. That's the Bill Gates factor, master of Potemkin software.
"Potemkin Software"!!! I love that!!

Now, what about my younger son? He has no hyphens, but we gave him two middle names, each has 2-6 common diminuitives. He has a do-it-yourself ID confusion kit (269 combinations, including initials or omitting a name!)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.