Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Heads up: TSA now testing water at the gates in SLC

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2009, 6:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Something lifetime here and there

Don't know if this has been covered, but I am hanging out in the SLC B Concourse waiting for my flight to LAX (on UA) and walked down to the WN area and saw the TSA checking passengers water (with test strips) in the gate area of SLC-PDX flight.

I did a double take on it. If I wasn't on the phone, I would have taken a picture of it.

Anyone else seeing this?
Old Sep 22, 2009, 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by goingbananas
Don't know if this has been covered, but I am hanging out in the SLC B Concourse waiting for my flight to LAX (on UA) and walked down to the WN area and saw the TSA checking passengers water (with test strips) in the gate area of SLC-PDX flight.

I did a double take on it. If I wasn't on the phone, I would have taken a picture of it.

Anyone else seeing this?
Are they testing bottles larger than 3.4 oz and are they allowing the passengers to keep them?
Old Sep 22, 2009, 7:30 pm

That would be the water they purchased (at an inflated price) from the airport vendors in the secure area? Wow!
Old Sep 22, 2009, 7:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yyzvoyageur
That would be the water they purchased (at an inflated price) from the airport vendors in the secure area? Wow!
Yes...its their drinking water.
Old Sep 22, 2009, 7:43 pm

I check my water at home regularly, and we have "hard water" which isn't particularly good for the hair. Good to see TSA is involved in more than just security.
Old Sep 22, 2009, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mikensf74
I check my water at home regularly, and we have "hard water" which isn't particularly good for the hair. Good to see TSA is involved in more than just security.
TSA is involved in many things, none of which is security.
Old Sep 22, 2009, 7:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Well, looks like they're starting to screen the water after the fact, considering it just bypasses the x-rays anyway.

Not that water's a threat or anything ...
Old Sep 22, 2009, 8:51 pm

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Looks like more "we'll do what we like and if you complain you must be a terrorist" mission creep.

Usual TSA apologists saying "they shouldn't be doing that/we don't do it that way in my airport" in 5, 4, 3....
Old Sep 22, 2009, 8:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
I hope never to encounter this, I can't imagine it ending well. We're forced to buy water instead of bringing, cheaper, better products in with us because our water isn't "screened" ... now they are saying that the water you buy behind security, for which we pay a premium, isn't "screened" either. Go screw yourselves, TSA ... if that's the case, let's call BS on all of this --- let me bring my own damn product with me or leave me the h*ll alone.
Old Sep 22, 2009, 9:02 pm

Sounds like they're doing what they're supposed to be doing. It's been getting done for over a year now, at least, though the exact date it started escapes me at the moment.

Another part of The Playbook.
Old Sep 22, 2009, 9:03 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
so let me see if i have this right....

• tsa says only liquids, gels and aerosols 3.40z or less are permitted thru the checkpoint in carry on luggage
  • pax buys a $4.00 (i'm being kind ) bottle of water inside the terminal's secure area and said water according to the tsa, is supposed to be safe and secure
  • tsa wants to test the same aforementioned already declared safe water.

what brilliant government diçkhead weasel thought up that stragety
Old Sep 22, 2009, 9:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by goalie
so let me see if i have this right....

• tsa says only liquids, gels and aerosols 3.40z or less are permitted thru the checkpoint in carry on luggage
  • pax buys a $4.00 (i'm being kind ) bottle of water inside the terminal's secure area and said water according to the tsa, is supposed to be safe and secure
  • tsa wants to test the same aforementioned already declared safe water.

what brilliant government diçkhead weasel thought up that stragety
Correct. as for the ........ weasel part....I prefer to call them "dickweed" myself!!

Last edited by goingbananas; Sep 22, 2009 at 9:10 pm Reason: typo
Old Sep 22, 2009, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
So how to they handle the sample?

If they touch your bottle or any of your stuff, make them change their gloves.

What if the bottle is unopened & the seal hasn't been broken yet?
Old Sep 22, 2009, 9:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
Originally Posted by HSVTSO Dean
Sounds like they're doing what they're supposed to be doing. It's been getting done for over a year now, at least, though the exact date it started escapes me at the moment.

Another part of The Playbook.
...????? What playbook and WHERE has it been happening? Geez, it sounds like you drink the kool aid and think this is intelligent.

Screen this crap at the source or upon arrival - hey its in a secure zone, shouldn't it be secure - and be done with it .... Do NOT touch the water once I buy it. It's mine, keep your hands off it was purchased by TSAs BS rules - just stay the F away!! (we're talking multiple bottles of inflated priced water - not opened and I don't expect TSOs EVER to open it for me)
Old Sep 22, 2009, 9:25 pm

Location: various cities in the USofA: NYC, BWI, IAH, ORD, CVG, NYC
Programs: Former UA 1K, National Exec. Elite
Do they test the water fountains and taps? What about all the bottles in the airport bars?

Most importantly, what about toilets? They hold more than 3.4oz.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.