FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/checkpoints-borders-policy-debate-687/)
-   -   Adult Toys Prohibited?? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/checkpoints-borders-policy-debate/994898-adult-toys-prohibited.html)

whirledtraveler Sep 14, 2009 12:59 pm

Adult Toys Prohibited??

http://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2009/09/...0601252863918/

The New York Post said Sunday also among the tens of thousands of prohibited items seized since January at the three local airports was a 6-foot-long African spear and a gassed-up chainsaw.

The federal agency said other items that passengers were not allowed to board flights with include unwashed adult toys, 10-point deer antlers and even a kitchen sink.
Trying to figure out the aviation security risk here.

FXWizard Sep 14, 2009 1:01 pm

Other than it being "unwashed" (ew...), I guess the TSA is protecting people from "assault with a friendly weapon."

N965VJ Sep 14, 2009 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by whirledtraveler (Post 12378905)
Trying to figure out the aviation security risk here.

Some airports do, some don’t. Each airport is different.

Of sex toys, weapons and airplanes

Crazyhotelguy Sep 14, 2009 1:22 pm

The unwashed part does bring up some very nasty thoughts.....

I could see how some of those toys could be considered weapons of mass destruction... Some could inflict a great deal of pain, if you get my drift....:D:D

IslandBased Sep 14, 2009 1:51 pm

First it was kid's toys..... :rolleyes:

Now that the TSA excuse (but we are a young organization) is no longer used, they have moved on to adult toys.

HSVTSO Dean Sep 14, 2009 4:37 pm

:confused:

n4zhg Sep 14, 2009 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by HSVTSO Dean (Post 12380162)

Don't give me that. You're the one that has to work with them.

Boggie Dog Sep 14, 2009 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by HSVTSO Dean (Post 12380162)

Are you confused because the description "Adult Toy" has no meaning to you or something else?:D

Loren Pechtel Sep 14, 2009 9:34 pm

I can see them drawing an inspection--I suspect a silicone toy looks like a blob on the x-ray.

However, the only toy I've been able to come up with that would warrant taking is handcuffs.

Trollkiller Sep 15, 2009 1:49 am

At first I was like all of you and confused why the TSA may confiscate a sex toy, then it dawned on me.

A long time ago I worked in a store that sold adult novelties along with other items. While placing an order I asked the sales rep if anyone buys the 8lb novelty with a billy club grip. His reply was yes but he said that the majority of sales were in states where carrying a billy club would be considered a weapon but carrying this thing would not be considered a weapon.

A while later I read a story about a woman that had successfully foiled a carjacking by beating the assailant with one of these "billy clubs". If I recall correctly she did a bit of damage to the bad guy, including a broken jaw, concussion and bruises.

My guess it the toy that the TSA confiscated was not your everyday run of the mill marital aids.

But then again, snow globes and Pirates of the Caribbean swords are the tools of terrywrists.

Steph3n Sep 15, 2009 2:00 am

I saw someone last week have the scanner alert on their large.....toy. The lady at the scanner actually just stuck her hand into t he bag and pulled it our really quickly with a huge smile. I know for a fact she did not follow procedure in that but that huge smirk on her face for 15 seconds while she was looking at it drew a lot of looks. She did not give the woman any time to answer when asking if any liquids in the bag, or give respect to her property in any way.

Trollkiller Sep 15, 2009 2:17 am

Originally Posted by Steph3n (Post 12382092)
I saw someone last week have the scanner alert on their large.....toy. The lady at the scanner actually just stuck her hand into t he bag and pulled it our really quickly with a huge smile. I know for a fact she did not follow procedure in that but that huge smirk on her face for 15 seconds while she was looking at it drew a lot of looks. She did not give the woman any time to answer when asking if any liquids in the bag, or give respect to her property in any way.

Now you know why the people looking at the MMW images are locked in a room away from the public.

TSORon Sep 15, 2009 4:55 am

Originally Posted by Steph3n (Post 12382092)

Could you explain what you "know for a fact" please? I actually have access to the SOP, and I know of no where in it where this would be considered a violation of it.

n4zhg Sep 15, 2009 5:05 am

Originally Posted by Trollkiller (Post 12382134)
Now you know why the people looking at the MMW images are locked in a room away from the public.

Because the passenger they smirked at would rip off their arm and beat them with the bloody end of it? :D

RocketHokie Sep 15, 2009 8:03 am

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog (Post 12381397)
Are you confused because the description "Adult Toy" has no meaning to you or something else?:D

No, it's probably because those things are illegal here, which is strange considering there is a store with ads on TV.