Remove liquids from carryon?

Old Sep 1, 09, 1:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold
Remove liquids from carryon?

What is the actual policy on this? About 1/20 times that I travel I am accosted by a TSA rep for not taking my liquids out, and I am told 'it's ok this time, but next time...".

What is the deal here? Is it policy to take them out, but policy is often over looked or are some TSA's just making up their own rules?
Old Sep 1, 09, 1:37 pm

Programs: Holiday Inn Plat NW gold AA gold
Originally Posted by 100% Green View Post
What is the actual policy on this? About 1/20 times that I travel I am accosted by a TSA rep for not taking my liquids out, and I am told 'it's ok this time, but next time...".

What is the deal here? Is it policy to take them out, but policy is often over looked or are some TSA's just making up their own rules?
You are supposed to take them out. Given TSA's rather consistent inconsistency though you might be able to walk through with liquids dozens of times before you get stopped.

Thank you for exposing TSA for being incompetent.
Old Sep 1, 09, 6:00 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
The only airport that has ever given me trouble for not having my Kippie bag out is PHX in T4. Every other airport I travel through doesn't care if the Kippie bags are in my carryon or not.
Old Sep 1, 09, 6:30 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svcs, AA ExecPlat, WN RR, AZ Freccia Alata+, Hilton gold, SPG/Marriot Gold, Hertz Prez
Originally Posted by 100% Green View Post

The policy, IIRC this week..., is one must have them out and seperate through the "x-ray". I do see this enforced on a weekly basis at airports around the US. However, I have not had my "Kippie" bag picked up, inspected, looked at, or touched in over two years. And that is at over 25 different airports around the US.

Ciao,
FH
Old Sep 1, 09, 7:37 pm

Programs: Pleb, unless you count Global Entry
Originally Posted by tusphotog View Post
The only airport that has ever given me trouble for not having my Kippie bag out is PHX in T4. Every other airport I travel through doesn't care if the Kippie bags are in my carryon or not.
I had it happen at LAX I think it was T6 that this was in. Just a "what's this" and I explained and apologised, they never explained whether it was supposed to be out or not, but I definitely got the impression it was supposed to be out.
Old Sep 1, 09, 8:44 pm

From TSA's website:

Originally Posted by http://www.tsa.gov/311/
(emphasis added)

3-1-1 for carry-ons = 3.4 ounce bottle or less (by volume) ; 1 quart-sized, clear, plastic, zip-top bag; 1 bag per passenger placed in screening bin. One-quart bag per person limits the total liquid volume each traveler can bring. 3.4 oz. container size is a security measure.

Consolidate bottles into one bag and X-ray separately to speed screening.
Old Sep 1, 09, 10:51 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by Omnivore View Post
I had it happen at LAX I think it was T6 that this was in. Just a "what's this" and I explained and apologised, they never explained whether it was supposed to be out or not, but I definitely got the impression it was supposed to be out.
Funny, because last week at LAX, I went through T1 and nobody said anything.
Old Sep 2, 09, 12:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OMNIArchist, OMNIArchy!, OMNIIDGAS
They have told me each time I went through the last 2 weeks that items need to be in the kippie bag but can be in the luggage.....nice but different.
Old Sep 2, 09, 6:56 am

This is an example of why this is ridiculous. Do you remember the "hysteria" about liquids when the policy was first instituted? As time goes by, and screeners get accustomed to liquids posing no threat, they get more and more complacent. Exactly why it is theatrics.
Old Sep 2, 09, 8:35 am

Yesterday at SNA the gatekeeper droned on about removing your toiletry baggie from your carry-on. I had time to kill in case of a retaliatory secondary so I left it in my carry-on bag.

Nothing happened.

Yawn.
Old Sep 2, 09, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Yep, if they notice it, I just get a lecture. No Secondary (yet).

I *really* miss not being able to keep a six-pack in my bag, or bringing home a regional specialty food item. It’s the gift from the TSA that keeps on giving long after you reached your destination. This useless War On Liquids™ needs to end.
Old Sep 3, 09, 12:31 am

It shows that most TSO are not oblivious to how asinine some of the rules are.
Old Sep 3, 09, 8:33 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Gold, United Mileage Plus, Avis Preferred
My liquids remain in my carry-on, and not even in a ziploc bag. Rarely, my carry-on bag is pulled, and then they will just confiscate non-complying items (i.e., over 100 ml), and not even mention that I am not using a ziploc.
Old Sep 3, 09, 9:34 am

Programs: UA silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
i usually take mine out, but have left it in on occasion at both LGA and ORD with no pushback. i always take them out if i'm in a rush and don't want to deal with potential TSA delays due to rescreening because you never know with their consistent inconsistency and layers and all that.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: