List airports with body imaging scanners

Old May 4, 2010, 5:03 pm
Original Poster

Update: This update contains a link to the CNN interactive map of where body scanners are located:

http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/01/07/air...ity/index.html

Thanks to BubbaLoop, for the input!

Please do copy this link in the future when you decide to update the list.

This is more important now than ever, as there will be much more scanners to come.

Airports WITH body scanners:

ABQ (Lane 7, on the far right side of the checkpoint when facing it. Use lane 1-6)
ATL
BWI (A,B,D concourse no way to avoid them but not primary)
CLE (Concourse A no scanners. Concourse B two scanners; TSA tells you where to go or not. Concourse C lanes 6&7 have scanners; can be avoided by choosing other lane.)
CLT (Checkpoint D for sure and possibly B, please confirm!)
DCA (are they still there?)
DEN
DFW (only Terminal D, checkpoints 18&22)
DTW
IAH (Terminal E but you get choice of lanes)
IND (both A and B concourse on checkpoint 3, choice of lanes with no scanner)
JAX (1 scanner, avoid if taking the TSA line to the left, the two lanes on the right funnel to the scanner)
JFK (not on the TSA list but somebody mentioned it)
LAS (New A/B/C checkpoint upstairs has it. NOW PRIMARY. Stay to the right of the queue or use the old C checkpoint by the train does not have it.)
LAX (T5 checkpoint - DL/NW concourse+AeroMexico. Use T6 instead and take underground tunnel to T5)
MCI (left side of Southwest Airline checkpoint)
MIA
PHX (only in checkpoint B & D at terminal 4--not primary at the D checkpoint. I don't think I've even seen it to be honest.)
RDU (only in T2 and not as primary)
ROC (apparently not yet in operation but machine is there)
RIC
SFO (In international terminal, primary but optional. None at T1 Gates 20-36, domestic.)
SLC (T2 (DL) but not T1)
TPA (Airside A and Airside E checkpoint - AC/DL/NW/UA)
TUL

Airports WITHOUT Bodyscanners:

AUS
BUF
ELP
EWR
FLL
GEG
HNL
ICT
JFK in DL terminal 2/3.
LAX (T1 WN/US, T3 AS/VX)
MCO
MSP
MSY
OAK
OKC
OMA
ONT
ORD (not on the TSA list, T1 definitely clear)
PDX
SJC
SEA
SYR
TUS

Thanks for bumping this!

It is more important now than ever as we see more airports getting scanners and them being made primary.

Please keep the info coming. You can easily copy the list, paste it in a new post and add the new info yourself. I trust you on that. We are doing this so that all of us can profit. So just make sure your info is correct.

Thanks!!!

Till

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; May 4, 2010 at 9:29 pm Reason: merge consecutive posts
Old May 5, 2010, 9:14 am

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
Originally Posted by tfar
Update: This update contains a link to the CNN interactive map of where body scanners are located:

Thanks to BubbaLoop, for the input!

Please do copy this link in the future when you decide to update the list.

This is more important now than ever, as there will be much more scanners to come.

ABQ (Lane 7, on the far right side of the checkpoint when facing it. Use lane 1-6)
ATL
CLE (Concourse A no scanners. Concourse B two scanners; TSA tells you where to go or not. Concourse C lanes 6&7 have scanners; can be avoided by choosing other lane.)
CLT (Checkpoint D for sure and possibly B, please confirm!)
DEN
DTW
JAX (1 scanner, avoid if taking the TSA line to the left, the two lanes on the right funnel to the scanner)
LAS (New A/B/C checkpoint upstairs has it. NOW PRIMARY. Stay to the right of the queue or use the old C checkpoint by the train does not have it.)
LAX (T5 checkpoint - DL/NW concourse+AeroMexico. Use T6 instead and take underground tunnel to T5)
MIA
PHX (only in checkpoint B & D at terminal 4--not primary at the D checkpoint. I don't think I've even seen it to be honest.)
RDU (only in T2 and not as primary)
RIC
SFO (In international terminal, primary but optional. None at T1 Gates 20-36, domestic.)
SLC (T2 (DL) but not T1)
TUL

AUS
BUF
ELP
EWR
FLL
GEG
HNL
ICT
JFK in DL terminal 2/3.
LAX (T1 WN/US, T3 AS/VX)
MCO
MSP
MSY
OAK
OKC
OMA
ONT
PDX
SJC
SEA
SYR
TUS

Thanks for bumping this!

It is more important now than ever as we see more airports getting scanners and them being made primary.

Please keep the info coming. You can easily copy the list, paste it in a new post and add the new info yourself. I trust you on that. We are doing this so that all of us can profit. So just make sure your info is correct.

Thanks!!!

Till
"Nude o scope" up & running at B in Clt. see my thread.

Last edited by coachrowsey; May 5, 2010 at 9:15 am Reason: correct typo
Old May 5, 2010, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Just an update about the DEN nude-o-scope..

The device is on the west security checkpoint, while is closest to the UA ticket counters. TSA has the device on the far left side of the checkpoint, closest to the Elite & Crew access line. However, if you are in the elite or crew line, you can use any available TDC or WTMD/xray setup.. Just stay to the right and you can avoid a TSO staring at you!

RDU
The device is not used for primary, yet. TSA has the device towards the right side of the checkpoint, so if you have status or are in First Class, you don't come close to being near the device...

Last edited by FriendlySkies; May 5, 2010 at 9:25 am
Old May 5, 2010, 11:10 am

Is it me, or is part of this link missing?
Old May 5, 2010, 11:49 am

It looks like it was copied and pasted from another post with an ellipsis, and that keeps it from working. It works from a post above: http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/01/07/air...ity/index.html . It's an article from January, and more are rapidly being deployed.

Last edited by rove312; May 5, 2010 at 11:52 am Reason: First used the wrong link
Old May 5, 2010, 2:56 pm

DCA has 4 checkpoints:
Gates 35+ (US Airways): yes there is one there
Gates 25-35 (United, AA): no
Gates 10-24 (CO, DL, AC, AS): not sure
Gates 1-8 (F9, Spirit, Midwest, Airtran): not as of last month

DEN
Note that the "A concourse" checkpoint at DEN (across the bridge) does NOT have them.
Add to list: COS, BOI
Old May 5, 2010, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Also add PWM to the list of airports without the nude-o-scope

FYI, MCO will be receiving a nude-o-scope in the next few months.

Last edited by FriendlySkies; May 6, 2010 at 12:54 am
Old May 6, 2010, 8:07 am

Also have been through STL (terminal 1) and MKE in last few months and did not see one at either airport.
Old May 6, 2010, 1:05 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the nice updates and the additional details everyone. This list is starting to get real useful. Let's continue the good work! ^

ATL (none in North and South terminal checkpoints but possibly in the main checkpoint)
BOS
CLT (Checkpoint D and B)
DCA (Gates 35+)
DEN (West checkpoint on the far left. Stay to the right to avoid.)
DTW
MIA
RDU (only in T2 and not as primary, stay to the left to avoid)
RIC
SLC (T2 (DL) but not T1)
TUL

AUS
BUF
ELP
EWR
FLL
GEG
HNL
ICT
JFK in DL terminal 2/3.
LAX (T1 WN/US, T3 AS/VX)
MCO
MKE
MSP
MSY
OAK
OKC
OMA
ONT
PBI
PDX
PWM
SJC
SEA
STL
SYR
TUS

Last edited by tfar; May 19, 2010 at 1:19 pm Reason: added ATL, BOS and PBI info
Old May 6, 2010, 11:38 pm

Nude-o-scopes at LAX yet?

Which airports have the nude-o-scopes. Do all terminals at LAX have them or only some?

Is there a link to where they are located, by airport?
Old May 7, 2010, 8:49 am

http://www.indystar.com/article/2010...-body-scanners

Workers are installing one scanning machine each night for four nights until all four of the electromagnetic millimeter wave devices are in place in the airport’s two security checkpoints.
Old May 7, 2010, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bowdenj
http://www.indystar.com/article/2010...-body-scanners

Workers are installing one scanning machine each night for four nights until all four of the electromagnetic millimeter wave devices are in place in the airport’s two security checkpoints.
I liked this comment on the article from the indystar:
The terrorists have won when we degrade ourselves this far to achieve a rather false sense of security.
They are absolutely correct!
Old May 7, 2010, 4:55 pm
Original Poster

In regards to the article on Indianapolis. The scanners were in place already and were used as primary devices already. People were directed towards the scanners but you could usually simply decide to choose a different line. Of course, Ma and Pa Kettle wouldn't know what it was in the first place because I've never seen the required signage at IND. And the normal citizen also wouldn't say to a TSA agent who points out which line to go to that they prefer another line. So it was a perfect example of abuse of power and how they manipulate people and use their weaknesses.

This just a as a particular sidenote. My GF will use that airport this week. I will ask her to pay special attention to the scanners and report. As you can imagine she is fully briefed by me anyway.

Till
Old May 7, 2010, 5:24 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by crhptic
Also have been through STL (terminal 1) and MKE in last few months and did not see one at either airport.
I went through STL a few times this winter on WN (E gates). Nothing on that side of the airport either.
Old May 7, 2010, 5:37 pm

P.S. When I was posting, I didn't have the freshest version of flyer talk's TSS forum up. I'm a horrible person. My bad. Instead, I had my recent search results up, which didn't turn up the info I needed.

So - here's a question for someone else.

If we go through Terminal 6 at LAX with our Delta boarding passes, that works, right? And then we look for a tunnel/lower level passageway in the sterile area? Never been in either terminal, so don't know the lay-out and the LAX provided schematics don't show the tunnel entrances.

Any help on this issue will be appreciated.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.