FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/checkpoints-borders-policy-debate-687/)
-   -   And you thought liquid checks were bad....Here come powders (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/checkpoints-borders-policy-debate/986610-you-thought-liquid-checks-were-bad-here-come-powders.html)

eyecue Aug 19, 2009 10:56 am

And you thought liquid checks were bad....Here come powders

Here come powders........

NoClu Aug 19, 2009 10:58 am

Originally Posted by eyecue (Post 12249456)
Here come powders........

Care to elaborate...not that I really want to know.

Ever since Mythbusters blew up a huge container of coffee creamer I knew the traveling public would be in for more BS.

Trollkiller Aug 19, 2009 11:07 am

Damn it, I was holding that story at the request of my source.

mikeef Aug 19, 2009 11:41 am

Something tells me that this thread is going to get veryyyyy long...

Mike

gj83 Aug 19, 2009 11:45 am

what are they going to do with powders? restrict, test?

more info.

goalie Aug 19, 2009 11:52 am

i can see it now.......the cruex ter'wrist.

we're doomed. doomed, i tell you. doomed

BubbaLoop Aug 19, 2009 11:55 am

My understanding was that powders were liquids according to TSA lunatic definitions: they pour. Tooth powder has been apprehended (or voluntarily surrendered, if you speak TSA-ish) at checkpoints with that argument.

n4zhg Aug 19, 2009 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by BubbaLoop (Post 12249844)
My understanding was that powders were liquids according to TSA lunatic definitions: they pour. Tooth powder has been apprehended (or voluntarily surrendered, if you speak TSA-ish) at checkpoints with that argument.

Watch out if they start intensive field-testing with those crappy police testers. Lots of travellers are going to end up in prison for that tooth powder. :td:

IslandBased Aug 19, 2009 12:20 pm

Relentless paranoia- finely divided powders can become explosive when mixed with air, water can hugely increase its volume when subjected to the right amount of energy, I just wish someone would bulldoze this clown car... :D

ORDflyer Aug 19, 2009 12:26 pm

Actually there ARE Dust explosions

They can be nasty in old grain elevators.

N965VJ Aug 19, 2009 12:31 pm

Did someone figure out the old trick of sprinkling powdered creamer over a lighter?

N965VJ Aug 19, 2009 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by ORDflyer (Post 12250031)
They can be nasty in old grain elevators.

Yeah, but it’s *really* tough to get a grain elevator in the overhead bin.

mikeef Aug 19, 2009 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by BubbaLoop (Post 12249844)

Technically, the powders do turn into liquids if you mix them with water. Maybe that's what they're worried about.

Mike

FWAAA Aug 19, 2009 12:47 pm

The TSA's relentless stupidity knows no bounds and is matched only by the willingness of our nation of cowards and idiots to let this pointless nonsense continue after eight years of ghost-chasing.

The charlatans selling phony security know no shame. :(

GUWonder Aug 19, 2009 1:03 pm

The TSA management only now figured out that powders can be explosive? What idiots in TSA management, but don't they know that other solids besides powder can also be explosive and that the TSA would most likely fail to stop those too.

At this pace, the TSA should prepare to ban all persons from boarding a plane as a passenger ..... some time after banning all batteries. :rolleyes: