Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

And you thought liquid checks were bad....Here come powders

And you thought liquid checks were bad....Here come powders

Old Aug 20, 09, 6:12 pm

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Originally Posted by ND Sol View Post
From a spokesperson:
That sounds semi-official - has there been an actual announcement?
Originally Posted by Buster View Post
Depending on what this entails and how it's implemented, the TSA is going to anger lots and lots of women -- a lot of us switched to all powder makeup instead of liquid/cream makeup to avoid the ziploc bag limit.
In the early days of the liquids lunacy, there were arguments that it discriminated against women, who were more likely to carry moisturizers, liquid makeup, etc, but it obviously didn't make an impact on the policy.

Cynically, I view this as a way for TSA to keep checking for drugs in the post-Fofana era. If they can claim that a powder could be a weapon, they can justify the cocaine busts and keep trumpeting their "successes".
Old Aug 20, 09, 6:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/Marriott Plat/Hertz PC
If this happens, I think we're in a very good position to push back.

1) People hate the TSA now more than ever.
2) There has been no high profile incident to trigger the change.

I don't think the TSA has enough political capital for this.
Old Aug 20, 09, 6:27 pm

Programs: Holiday Inn Plat NW gold AA gold
Originally Posted by whirledtraveler View Post
I don't think the TSA has enough political capital for this.
So the excuse of 'we don't want another 9/11 on our shift' wears thin? Not having enough political capital hasn't stopped them in the past from doing incredibly thoughtless things.
Old Aug 20, 09, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Originally Posted by whirledtraveler View Post
<SNIP>
2) There has been no high profile incident to trigger the change.
This has me scratching my head; why are they even bothering with this?
Old Aug 20, 09, 7:02 pm

And wasn't this to be the year when the restrictions on LGA were to be relaxed? Instead we are seeing stricter (impotent) measures enacted.

First my bottle of Gatorade couldn't go and now my Gatorade powder packets will be prohibited since they would have to be opened to be tested. At least with LGA's they don't have to open them up to test. Here it will be different.
Old Aug 20, 09, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ND Sol View Post
And wasn't this to be the year when the restrictions on LGA were to be relaxed? Instead we are seeing stricter (impotent) measures enacted.

First my bottle of Gatorade couldn't go and now my Gatorade powder packets will be prohibited since they would have to be opened to be tested. At least with LGA's they don't have to open them up to test. Here it will be different.
Or you (and everyone else) could restrict their flying to the minimum possible while telling the airlines why they have lost most of your business.

Loss of revenue for the airlines can drive this problem of an out of control bunch of mock security experts.

Last edited by Boggie Dog; Aug 20, 09 at 7:41 pm Reason: Are to Or
Old Aug 20, 09, 8:57 pm
Suspended

Last edited by Bart; Sep 18, 09 at 7:17 pm
Old Aug 20, 09, 9:55 pm

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
Ok, I admit I only read the first 2 pages of comments prior to work & just got home. I did ask one of the spots (this one is beautiful I talk to her) when this is going to start like it was a done deal. Her reply was " this is the first I've heard of it".
Old Aug 20, 09, 10:22 pm

Originally Posted by RadioGirl View Post
That sounds semi-official - has there been an actual announcement?

In the early days of the liquids lunacy, there were arguments that it discriminated against women, who were more likely to carry moisturizers, liquid makeup, etc, but it obviously didn't make an impact on the policy.

Cynically, I view this as a way for TSA to keep checking for drugs in the post-Fofana era. If they can claim that a powder could be a weapon, they can justify the cocaine busts and keep trumpeting their "successes".
Yep. Show progress, even if they can't catch any terrorists.

Did you see the helpful gendered "Why?" videos for business travellers? (bottom of here) -- The man carries a laptop, shoes, and "liquids", while the woman carries only bowl full of "toiletries". Why not have just one "business traveller" video?
Old Aug 20, 09, 11:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ Super Plats
Originally Posted by whitearrow View Post
Exactly. I use mineral-based powder, foundation and blush, and often travel with eye shadow as well (also a powdery substance). Are they seriously going to start testing 5-6 different items every time I go through a checkpoint? Seriously?
If they do, then on trips when I have lots of time I might go out of my way to pack powders.
Old Aug 21, 09, 7:53 am

Ok, so while it's annoying that the TSA is yet again making a decision that doesn't appear to remotely impact the security of the flights I'm taking, I've been having a really hard time figuring out where this one affects me at all. I'm a guy, so make-up is out. I don't carry talc powder or Gold Bond or anything like that. Is there something they're going to classify as a powder that I'm not thinking of here?
Old Aug 21, 09, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
Ok, so while it's annoying that the TSA is yet again making a decision that doesn't appear to remotely impact the security of the flights I'm taking, I've been having a really hard time figuring out where this one affects me at all. I'm a guy, so make-up is out. I don't carry talc powder or Gold Bond or anything like that. Is there something they're going to classify as a powder that I'm not thinking of here?
Perhaps you should do your part and pack all the powders you can.

We can never do enough to help out our friends in TSA!
Old Aug 21, 09, 8:38 am

Programs: Many, slipping beneath the horizon
Ahhh, the return of the old "Babo" bomb.....

Cut small hole in side of Babo can. Insert small firecracker, taping to can to leave fuse exposed. Light fuse. Shake can violently. Hurl quickly, or you will be covered with a white powdery residue from the resultant detonation, far more substantial than that of the firecracker alone.
Old Aug 21, 09, 8:40 am

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog View Post
Perhaps you should do your part and pack all the powders you can.

We can never do enough to help out our friends in TSA!
I have absolutely no idea what this has to do with my post or the question I asked.
Old Aug 21, 09, 9:10 am

Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
I have absolutely no idea what this has to do with my post or the question I asked.
Perhaps with all of this you will need to take a BC Powder.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: