Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ATL TSA Metal Detector Broken

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2009, 9:22 am
Original Poster

ATL TSA Metal Detector Broken

I was going through the ATL checkpoint the other day and had an interesting experience. After clearing the metal detector without any alarms, the agent asked me to go through again. Like the previous time, no alarm, she looks at me and then the detector and asks me to go through again. Like the previous two times, no alarm. She then call for a sup and explains that she thinks the machine is broken. He asks me to go through again, no alarm and then he asks the lady behind me to go through, no alarm. He then asks the agent to go through, no alarm. He then asks her why she did not report it earlier and her response, I was not sure it was "broke". With that the sup closes the lane and goes and gets somebody else. I ask if I can leave and with permission off I went. I assume that whatever was wrong was corrected as there was no Terminal dump, nor did anybody come looking for me.

Dan
Old Aug 15, 2009, 9:49 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
security theatre at it's best

great

first off-the easy solution to see if in fact the wtmd was "broke" would be to give you say your cell phone (or some other metal test object) and see if you alarmed on your "re-try"

second-i am totally surprised that there was no terminal dump-and i'm actually being serious as this is one situation where you don't know how long the wtmd was "broke" and how many pax went through it
Old Aug 15, 2009, 10:22 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Look at the bright side-- at least they didn't dump the terminal . . .
Old Aug 15, 2009, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The bridge of the magnetometers have, if I recall correctly, an LED bar indicating the amount of metal on you. Obviously, it chimes after a certain point.

I don't think your Levi's, with its metal zipper and rivets on the side do not go unnoticed, it's within a tolerance level.

I think the TSAer was likely not seeing the "needle" move, hence why the requests.
Old Aug 15, 2009, 11:34 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by LessO2
The bridge of the magnetometers have, if I recall correctly, an LED bar indicating the amount of metal on you. Obviously, it chimes after a certain point.

I don't think your Levi's, with its metal zipper and rivets on the side do not go unnoticed, it's within a tolerance level.

I think the TSAer was likely not seeing the "needle" move, hence why the requests.
yup it's a little green then red line of bars that moves and my levi 501's with a button fly and my brass belt buckle* don't even cause a flinch

*in addition to my ebil ter'wrist orthopedic shoes, i do not take off my belt as it never (n.b. never) alarms and afaic, brass does not alarm <shhhhh>
Old Aug 16, 2009, 12:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by Ari
Look at the bright side-- at least they didn't dump the terminal . . .
Looking who talking! I didn't see it what happened the metal detectors isn't working at all. TSA should have to unplug it and put it back on. This is better way TSA need to being fixed the metal detector should be work property. They didn't have cause any evacuated from the terminals.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.