Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

DHS Traveler Redress Inquiry Program (DHS TRIP)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2009, 9:45 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie

another thing for the sheeple to use thinking it will work but it's just annudder black hole afaic (and i'm having a slow friday morning, where this is called "trip" can someone come up with words for the acronyms "fall" and fail" )

http://www.dhs.gov/files/programs/gc_1169676919316.shtm

The Department of Homeland Security’s Travel Redress Inquiry Program (DHS TRIP) is a single point of contact for individuals who have inquiries or seek resolution regarding difficulties they experienced during their travel screening at transportation hubs--like airports and train stations--or crossing U.S. borders, including:

• denied or delayed airline boarding
  • denied or delayed entry into and exit from the U.S. at a port of entry or border checkpoint
  • continuously referred to additional (secondary) screening
Old Aug 14, 2009, 10:10 am

Your black hole comment made me think it more akin to this:

In the walls of the cubicle there were three orifices. To the right of the speakwrite, a small pneumatic tube for written messages, to the left, a larger one for newspapers; and in the side wall, within easy reach of Blogger Bob's arm, a large oblong slit protected by a wire grating. This last was for the disposal of our constitutional rights. Similar slits existed in thousands or tens of thousands throughout the building, not only in every room but at short intervals in every corridor. For some reason they were nicknamed memory holes. When one knew that any document was due for destruction, or even when one saw a question of constitutional rights lying about, it was an automatic action to lift the flap of the nearest memory hole and drop it in, whereupon it would be whirled away on a current of warm air to the enormous furnaces which were hidden somewhere in the recesses of the building.

(with apologies to Orwell)
Old Aug 14, 2009, 10:10 am
Suspended

difficulties they experienced during their travel screening at transportation hubs--like airports and train stations

There's screening at train stations to such a degree that one can be prevented from boarding a train or at least suffer TSA-style hassling?
Old Aug 14, 2009, 10:29 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
The burden of proof should be on the scumbags in DHS, not the passenger!!!
Old Aug 14, 2009, 10:40 pm

Programs: *wood Gold, Marriott Gold, DL Silver, Hilton Silver, F9 Ascent
The newest revision of our travel management system (booking, expense reports etc) allows for redress numbers to be stored in our travel profiles. Since the upgrade, if you book any air travel through the system (and you have to use the system to do so) it will demand your gender and date of birth which will be stored in your profile. This is odd since that info is coded into our master personnel/security files from which the system automagically plucks your legal name. Why it doesn't get DOB and gender, I don't know. If you also have a TSA redress number, you can include it to "help" you speed through check-in.
Old Aug 15, 2009, 10:56 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Spiff
The burden of proof should be on the scumbags in DHS, not the passenger!!!
Dealing with TSA/DHS is like playing a well-run game of Paranoia!

Trust the computer. The computer is your friend.
Old Aug 15, 2009, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by doober

There's screening at train stations to such a degree that one can be prevented from boarding a train or at least suffer TSA-style hassling?

I've never seen TSA operating at train stations. Plenty of cops and National Guard, though. Last time I departed Union Station in Washington, DC, we had to walk past a couple of uniformed cops who were giving everyone the once-over. I didn't see them pull anyone aside for screening, but the loudspeaker kept repeating to be prepared for screening.

(Just so you know, in many parts of the world airport-style screening is very common on trains. In Spain, to board any long-distance train you go through an x-ray and metal detector. In India, even to get on the SUBWAY (metro), you have to go through x-ray and metal detector and then a pat-down!!!)
Old Aug 24, 2009, 12:18 pm

The redress program has finally been updated to accept inquiries from persons who live outside the US, which means I finally could fill it in if I wanted to. On the other hand, I do not understand why they have to know my height and weight to prove I am not a terrorist. Also, having heard from people who used the system and did not get an answer, or got a completely non-binding answer, I donīt see why I should send all this personal information to a group of persons I donīt trust in the first place.
Old Oct 22, 2009, 4:33 pm
Suspended

Blogger Bob is addressing this very subject right now on PV - of course, he's not saying anything, but that's par for the course.

Should have included a link:

Link
Old Oct 25, 2009, 2:14 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by doober
Blogger Bob is addressing this very subject right now on PV - of course, he's not saying anything, but that's par for the course.

Should have included a link:

Link
Comment of the day:

does anyone at TSA even understand the concept of many-to-one mappings?
To which I reply: From what I've seen, most of TSA doesn't understand the concept of wiping their bums after taking a dump. This includes Blogdad Bob.
Old Dec 13, 2009, 11:18 am

This nonsense is the reason I don't think government should get sovereign immunity. I don't give a .... what you do, you still answer to the people.

I have half a mind to give them a piece of my mind on Propaganda Village (in response to the bomb threat post)....but they'll probably have me disappeared to gitmo or something . Here's what I was going to post:

I would give up the nonsense security we have now IN LESS THAN A SECOND if given the chance. I believe I speak for all reasonably frequent flyers when I say this. I invite you to go take a look at your agency's reviews on any frequent flyer blog. They are anything but positive. Your implementation of the rules are arbitrary, capricious, unreasonable and inconsistent. As for "inconsistency" as a "layer of security"? That's complete crap.

Oh, and I'm still waiting for the complete list of rules and procedures that one must follow when one goes through your circus. And the answer to all previous posters' questions. Your agency's propaganda is so transparent anyone can see through it.
Enjoy.

Last edited by stupidhead; Dec 13, 2009 at 11:35 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.