TSA marks on baggage tags

Old Aug 11, 2009, 9:39 pm

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
I suspect that as a TSO you don't like being in the eye of the camera all the time but as you noted these camera have helped to exonerate TSA employees.
Of course not. If they were used solely for the purposes of protecting TSA employees from unfounded allegations of theft, it'd be a different story.

However, they're not. Management just looooves having that eye in the sky, now, if you know what I mean.
Old Aug 11, 2009, 9:40 pm

Programs: CO Platinum HHonors Diamond Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by crhptic
I don't see why they would mind. As LEO's like to say, if you aren't doing anything wrong, you have nothing to hide, so why not subject yourself to full scrutiny anytime/all the time.

Plus, as noted, if you actually AREN'T doing anything wrong, having evidence of such can sometimes be useful.
Doesn't apply in the case of a TSA clerk at work, etc., but as a general rebuttal to that general premise:

Bill of Rights, Amendment IV.

peace,
~Ben~
Old Aug 11, 2009, 9:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
My first thought was different marks to signal his buddy in baggage which bags to check out and which to bypass ... sorry but my trust factor for all TSOs (and baggage handlers to a lesser extent) is so low at this point, that I this was first to mind and I consider it possible
Old Aug 12, 2009, 4:56 am
Suspended

Last edited by Bart; Sep 18, 2009 at 6:16 pm
Old Aug 12, 2009, 5:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Bart
A few years ago an employee in a baggage screening location tripped and fell to the floor. The LTSO on the floor couldn't raise anyone on the radio to obtain medical assistance and the only phone line (provided by the airline) was unreliable. A CCTV system would have served as another means to make sure medical help was notified.

By the way, this was an older TSO, and he tripped over a steel cable. He landed face down and simply took his time before attempting to get up. He wanted to make sure he didn't break any bones (he didn't, but he twisted his ankle during the fall). Another TSO, thinking he had a heart attack since he didn't appear to be responding, promptly turned him over and began the first steps of CPR. The older TSO, as soon as he realized what was happening, opened his eyes and shouted, "Get away from me! I'm alright goddamnit! At my age, you learn to take your time before you start wiggling around."

I really don't see a need for live monitoring of the cameras, just recorded history should the need arise to investigate a complaint.
Old Aug 12, 2009, 8:17 am

Originally Posted by HSVTSO Dean
Of course not. If they were used solely for the purposes of protecting TSA employees from unfounded allegations of theft, it'd be a different story.

However, they're not. Management just looooves having that eye in the sky, now, if you know what I mean.
Which brings up a fascinating thought. There would be far less need for security cameras if passengers were allowed to use their own locks on their luggage, without the threat that TSA might have to cut them off for inspection purposes. But perhaps The Powers That Be aren't really interested in removing those cameras in the work area after all ...
Old Aug 12, 2009, 8:21 am
Formerly known as billinaz
Original Poster

Programs: US Airways Dividend Miles, American AAdvantage, Avis Preferred, Budget Rapid Rez, Hilton Honors
Good thinkin

Actually, I found another tag I had. So , it was 4 of us traveling together. Only one bag didnt have a gun in it. At both PHX and LIT only that one bag didnt have a red mark on it.

Thats how I started thinking thats what the marks were for..... essentially "steal me" notices.

When the unloaded firearm tags were put on the outside of the bags, thats just what happened. Some airlines still have the tags with the elastic on it and every now and then a tcket agent tries to put it on the outside of the bag which usually requires several supervisors to clear up because they are so unwilling to listen to someone that contradicts them.

In LIT I actually had to show the ticket agent the American Airlines internal policy as to where the tag went. She then did it right. The other stubborn ticket agent hwo was working with a traveling companion refused to listen saying he works for American and it doing it this way and "I dont care what he says". He had no answer when I told him that I had a copy of his company internal policy and thats what I was showing the ticket agent I was working with. He got a nice complaint faxed to AA for his rude behaviour and for interjecting himself into my interaction with another ticket agent.

The funny part was the insistance of my ticket agent to show her that the firearm was unloaded (not an airline responsibility). I had already signed the declaration tag. I asked if we were going into a private area or another room for this and she insisted it be right there. I again told her that its not a good idea to do that right here in the open and we really needed a place out of view.

Well imagine the thoughts of the lines of people for several airlines who could see me with a Glock in my hand while Im racking the slide to demonstrate that its unloaded.........

Originally Posted by DevilDog438
My guess, based on posting history - the bags with red marks had approved firearms cases, with all appropriate paperwork, inside. IIRC, from a correction someone posted about one of my thoughts in another thread:
  1. Firearms cases are permitted inside checked luggage, as long as they are appropriately secured and the process has been completed for notifying the airline of the contents.
  2. Bags containing a weapons case are not to be identified in any particular outwardly visible fashion (Section 302 of the Brady Law).
Old Aug 12, 2009, 8:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: US Airways Dividend Miles, American AAdvantage, Avis Preferred, Budget Rapid Rez, Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by jkhuggins
Which brings up a fascinating thought. There would be far less need for security cameras if passengers were allowed to use their own locks on their luggage, without the threat that TSA might have to cut them off for inspection purposes. But perhaps The Powers That Be aren't really interested in removing those cameras in the work area after all ...
Before the lock ban I used hard side luggage that had a built in lock that I only had the combo to.

Now I have hard side luggage that uses a ley lock that TSA can open.... I only wish it showed that it was opened....
Old Aug 12, 2009, 8:53 am

Programs: AA Ex Platinum & 1MM, DL PLT, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond
At PHX, they put what could be loosely construed as a L in red marker across the bar code to signify the bag is locked (regardless of whether there is a firearm in it) when the bag is dropped @ the CTX. The smurf waiting on the other end of the CTX, to throw it on the belt to go down to the plane, is supposed to then notify the smurf on the front end of 'locked bag clear' so that the passenger can then head for the gate. (My bags are always locked, so I go thru this every time I fly out of there). Given that many times said smurfs are deeply engaged in conversation w/each other, they are prone to miss this red identifier thus requiring the smurf on the front end to interrupt their critical conversations to inquire as to the status of the locked bag they were supposed to be watching for, which by then, of course, is long gone.

At LAX, in T4 anyway, the front & rear smurfs don't communicate about locked bags, but they do put a sticker on the bag, or bag tag (I've had both) once the bag has cleared the machine. The physical set up there allows a passenger w/a locked bag to see it come out of the machine & leave TSA's control ^
Old Aug 12, 2009, 10:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by txrus
At PHX, they put what could be loosely construed as a L in red marker across the bar code to signify the bag is locked (regardless of whether there is a firearm in it) when the bag is dropped @ the CTX. The smurf waiting on the other end of the CTX, to throw it on the belt to go down to the plane, is supposed to then notify the smurf on the front end of 'locked bag clear' so that the passenger can then head for the gate. (My bags are always locked, so I go thru this every time I fly out of there). Given that many times said smurfs are deeply engaged in conversation w/each other, they are prone to miss this red identifier thus requiring the smurf on the front end to interrupt their critical conversations to inquire as to the status of the locked bag they were supposed to be watching for, which by then, of course, is long gone.

At LAX, in T4 anyway, the front & rear smurfs don't communicate about locked bags, but they do put a sticker on the bag, or bag tag (I've had both) once the bag has cleared the machine. The physical set up there allows a passenger w/a locked bag to see it come out of the machine & leave TSA's control ^

Now that would seem like what these are. Instead of illegible smears of red ink, they are actually attempts at the letter L.

Thats what I like about these forums, you can find out pretty much anything if you ask...
Old Aug 13, 2009, 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by billinaz
Now that would seem like what these are. Instead of illegible smears of red ink, they are actually attempts at the letter L.

Thats what I like about these forums, you can find out pretty much anything if you ask...
Yes, this is mean "L" is locked. If your bags is locked. Where your bags is put into CTX-5500 machines. If you see the bags coming out from machines. You have to wait right there at x-ray machines when TSO tell you proccess to be clearing from your bags is ready to go. HE said "You are all set" and if you never put anything the suspicious inside the bags. When TSA will tell you wait stand right there right next to CTX machines. When you see the bags put into the machines. It will take several minutes during your bags is being screened. I knows that I have a no problems where our bags is being screened at x-ray machines. I told him that I have locked the bags but, we don't have anything the suspicious inside the bags.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.