Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Obama appoints Errol Southers to head the TSA

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2009, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by We Will Never Forget
This is a very valid point. I did a paper some years ago about cognitive dissonance at screening checkpoints that addressed this in a different manner. Basically, people just don't know how to react to certain situations as it differs greatly from their accepted norms. For example, many people use the term "barking" to describe a screener giving instructions. To a person of a military/law enforcement background, the manner isn't taken as offensively. It is simply a person speaking in a tone that draws attention to the information they are trying to convey. There is little perception of authoritarianism or hostility. Take someone outside of that realm, where being spoken to in a loud manner is a sign of disrespect or shame and we have the cognitive dissonance. The key is to effectively bridge the communication barrier. How do you relay information in a manner which demonstrates it's pertinence and yet not seem offensive? Figure that out and you might have a job in DC.
Been there, see no reason to return to that never ending nightmare.
Old Aug 11, 2009, 3:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HLT GLD, SPG GLD
Maybe if there was any value in the actual act (all liquids must be in a baggie, laptop out, shoes off) - people might respond to the message well. Secondly, instead of "barking" while randomly walking up and down the line, maybe the person could be observing, and upon noticing someone that doesnt' seem to have (for instance) their shoes off, coming over to them and saying - "Excuse me Sir/Madam, want to make sure you know that your shoes must be off prior to proceeding"...

Oh and what a beaut, if it was mandatory job requirement for all TSA personnel, that they must use Please, Thank You and Sir/Madam in every sentence. With a smile...

Yeah -I know, I know - that's the big difference- the TSA sees this as a security/military function - whereas the general public sees it as a customer service function. They're not used to being yelled at and intimidated when they have purchased a service (transportation).... Perhaps if I was entering a military base I would have different expectations....
Old Oct 14, 2009, 12:19 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat
Southers is testifying before the Senate Commerce committee tomorrow. Not sure if the video will be online, but it should make for interesting reading.
Old Oct 14, 2009, 12:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan, Lufthansa Miles & More, Flying Blue, Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by AngryMiller
A keynote address given by him.

Willing to give him some time to correct the mess that is TSA. Six months tops.
^
Old Oct 14, 2009, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by nickvora
Perhaps if I was entering a military base I would have different expectations....
I've entered a few military bases (3 army, 1 air force) and the people there were usually quite professional. They did their job. It requires a lot of stupid paperwork for each visitor so I wouldn't really say they were efficient, but they were professional. They don't touch much for their safety as opposed to some TSOs who insist on touching EVERY bag or bin before it goes into x-ray.

The process at military bases was much more enjoyable (for lack of a better word) than CBP at the US/Canada border or TSA at certain airports. One time at Ft. Detrick I went ahead because I thought I had been waved forward. Apparently I hadn't, but it wasn't until the end that the lady said to make sure to wait at the stop sign until waved forward. TSA flips out if you go through the WTMD before you are signaled.
Old Oct 14, 2009, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hearing Info

Originally Posted by amejr999
Southers is testifying before the Senate Commerce committee tomorrow. Not sure if the video will be online, but it should make for interesting reading.
It's a gaggle of nominees testifying to two separate panels of the committees, so this will be a love-in.

Hearing

Nominations Hearing
Full Committee

Thursday, October 15, 2009
02:30 PM

SR - 253

Nominee: Mr. Erroll G. Southers, to be Assistant Secretary of the Transportation Security Administration, at the U.S. Department of Homeland Security
Nominee: Dr. Patrick Gallagher, to be Director of the National Institute of Standards and Technology, at the U.S. Department of Commerce

Nominee: Dr. Elizabeth M. Robinson, to be Chief Financial Officer, at the National Aeronautics and Space Administration

Nominee: Mr. Paul K. Martin, to be Inspector General, at the National Aeronautics and Space Administration**

**PLEASE NOTE ADDITION: Mr. Paul K. Martin has been added to the agenda for the nomination hearing since the original announcement.

Individuals with disabilities who require an auxiliary aid or service should contact Naomi Eskin at (202) 224-5115 immediately to make any necessary arrangements.

<snip>

Witnesses

Opening Remarks

Panel 1
Mr. Erroll G. Southers to be Assistant Secretary of the Transportation Security Administration, at the U.S. Department of Homeland Security

Panel 2
Mr. Patrick Gallagher to be Director of the National Institute of Standards and Technology, at the U.S. Department of Commerce

Ms. Elizabeth M. Robinson to be Chief Financial Officer, at the National Aeronautics and Space Administration

Mr Paul K. Martin to be Inspector General, at the National Aeronautics and Space Administration
Guess we should get ahead of the game and hold a contest for a nickname. "Kippie" and "Skeletor" will be hard to beat.
Old Oct 14, 2009, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
Guess we should get ahead of the game and hold a contest for a nickname. "Kippie" and "Skeletor" will be hard to beat.
Checking the WhoIs data:

Registrant:
Domains by Proxy, Inc.

DomainsByProxy.com
15111 N. Hayden Rd., Ste 160, PMB 353
Scottsdale, Arizona 85260
United States

Registered through: GoDaddy.com, Inc.
Domain Name: ERROLLSOUTHERSISANIDIOT.COM
Created on: 07-Aug-09
Expires on: 07-Aug-10
Last Updated on: 07-Aug-09

Old Oct 14, 2009, 3:21 pm

Looking forward to this guy coming on board.
Old Oct 14, 2009, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by N965VJ
Checking the WhoIs data:

Registrant:
Domains by Proxy, Inc.

DomainsByProxy.com
15111 N. Hayden Rd., Ste 160, PMB 353
Scottsdale, Arizona 85260
United States

Registered through: GoDaddy.com, Inc.
Domain Name: ERROLLSOUTHERSISANIDIOT.COM
Created on: 07-Aug-09
Expires on: 07-Aug-10
Last Updated on: 07-Aug-09

Well, Kippie DID advise his successors to register <successor>isanidiot.com

Wonder if errollsouthersisanidiot.org and .net are available?
Old Oct 14, 2009, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Superguy
Well, Kippie DID advise his successors to register <successor>isanidiot.com

Wonder if errollsouthersisanidiot.org and .net are available?
so?

errolsouthersisaTSAidiot.com
Old Oct 14, 2009, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
"Nominee: Mr. Erroll G. Southers, to be Assistant Secretary of the Transportation Security Administration, at the U.S. Department of Homeland Security"

Is this a typo? How is the head of TSA the Asst.? I could see if he was an Asst. DHS Sec. in charge of the TSA.

It's a gaggle of nominees
Should the aviation community send Capt. Sully and a A320 to represent their interests?

If ole Errol makes as many errors as The Kipster, then Checkpoint Evolution will naturally become "Errport Security" at That Southers Agency.
Old Oct 15, 2009, 3:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8830/4.5.0.138 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Originally Posted by Flaflyer
"Nominee: Mr. Erroll G. Southers, to be Assistant Secretary of the Transportation Security Administration, at the U.S. Department of Homeland Security"

Is this a typo? How is the head of TSA the Asst.? I could see if he was an Asst. DHS Sec. in charge of the TSA.

It's a gaggle of nominees
Should the aviation community send Capt. Sully and a A320 to represent their interests?

If ole Errol makes as many errors as The Kipster, then Checkpoint Evolution will naturally become "Errport Security" at That Southers Agency.
I got it: Error Southers (need a better last name, though.)
Old Oct 15, 2009, 3:46 am

Originally Posted by Flaflyer

Just poorly written. He would be Assistant Secretary of the DHS, heading the TSA.
Old Oct 15, 2009, 8:52 am

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
Originally Posted by law dawg
Looking forward to this guy coming on board.

What do you think he will do different ?
Old Oct 15, 2009, 9:18 am

Programs: CO/DL
Originally Posted by coachrowsey
What do you think he will do different ?
I have not read up too much on him, but if he is anything like Kippie, or Gale, then TSA will continue to help destroy the airline industry with their useless, hassle filled rules and procedures.

The airlines (most of them anyway) do not need help destroying themselves as far down as the industry is now. Most of them have put themselves there with incompetent management in most cases, the economy, fuel prices have not helped either.

Its almost like the airline industry is at the edge of a cliff with everything else that is wrong with it, and TSA is right behind them with their stupid rules and procedures pushing as hard as they can

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.