Obama appoints Errol Southers to head the TSA

Old Aug 8, 2009, 9:37 am
Suspended

Last edited by Bart; Sep 18, 2009 at 6:20 pm
Old Aug 8, 2009, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by Bart
I don't know if Southers will be a good boss. From what I read in the article, I agree with some of what he says. For example, I agree that terrorism ought to be a study included in today's education. The fact is that terrorism is used to influence social, political and economic issues on the world stage to the point where we have to address it one way or the other. To summarily dismiss it as a criminal act ignores the social, political, economical, cultural and religious issues that prompt people to resort to such desperate acts of aggression. I disagree with him that it is not something that requires a military solution; however, I don't think a military response is the ONLY way to respond. Point here is that he appears to have a level-headed approach towards things; so it appears he might be the right person for the job.

I think it's naive to expect Southers to overhaul TSA. And I don't think Southers needs to overhaul TSA. I do think, however, that he needs to tackle a couple things put in place by Kip Hawley that may have had good intentions but have had questionable results.

1. Eliminate gate screening and put the focus on checkpoint screening. Once screened, there's no need to re-screen.

2. Eliminate BDOs; however, train TSOs some of BDO techniques to improve screening effectiveness. I think a TSO can screen more effectively if a passenger displays certain behavior; however, the basic prompt for screening still needs to be driven by a primary screening (x-ray, WTMD alarms, etc) and NOT JUST behavior. I don't think we need "specialized" TSOs in this arena.

3. Eliminate PASS and evaluate TSOs using the exact same methodology used in the rest of government.

Nice-to-do but not showstopper issues for me:

Get rid of the goddamned uniform with badge and go with a more practical "uniform:" polos with a TSA logo.

Let TSOs unionize. If other federal employees can unionize, so should TSOs.
^+1
Old Aug 8, 2009, 11:08 am

Programs: TSA TSO
He actually e-mailed AJ Castilla, the president of my local yesterday...

In e-mailing me after I congratulated him on his nomination to head the
TSA, he said this about all of you: "I look forward to joining you and adding value to the homeland security mission at TSA".

This says a lot about this man who will lead the TSA and what he personally thinks about each and every one of you federal TSA Officers whom he shall oversee.
I consider that a good sign. That he was actually willing to email the Local president.... because aside from Mr. Castilla and the leaders of Locals meeting up with Gale last month down in DC.... talk between HQ and Locals has been nil.

Also, Bart... take a look at this:
What do you Want in a First Contract?

Originally Posted by vvwhg
As a BOS TSO whom has been both with the TSA and with our AFGE TSO union since the beginning, I would love to see the following:

1)"Sunshine" where the TSA must release annual employee satisfaction surveys by noting individual airport ratings...so TSA can then replace any poorly rated airport management team.

2) Promotions process that includes written and verbal test for a higher position along with an actual appeal of scores process wherein any unchosen employee can match their own scores versus others. This helps prevent any cronyism, favortism, and, TSA's infamous double grade level jumps

3) An appeals policy allowance versus any and all TSA administered non-discipline and discipline action, where a "Weingarten Right" to bring an employee rep of your own choosing is now written in stone.

4) The end of TSA's failed pay-for-performance PASS system which has always cost taxpayers more to oversee and process, than it has ever paid out to we employees.
I'd like to know who in BOS this is so I can give him a pat on the back, because it's essentially the same things I want... and actually some I didn't think off.

But the Weingarten Right is especially something I want because my parents (both state and city employees here in MA) can easily invoke it as AFSCME members... me on the other hand, it's somewhat iffy... we are unionized... but does management have to listen to us, especially since we don't have a CBA with TSA?
Old Aug 8, 2009, 11:32 am
Suspended

Last edited by Bart; Sep 18, 2009 at 6:19 pm
Old Aug 8, 2009, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
I don't know if Southers will be a good boss. From what I read in the article, I agree with some of what he says. For example, I agree that terrorism ought to be a study included in today's education. The fact is that terrorism is used to influence social, political and economic issues on the world stage to the point where we have to address it one way or the other. To summarily dismiss it as a criminal act ignores the social, political, economical, cultural and religious issues that prompt people to resort to such desperate acts of aggression. I disagree with him that it is not something that requires a military solution; however, I don't think a military response is the ONLY way to respond. Point here is that he appears to have a level-headed approach towards things; so it appears he might be the right person for the job.

I think it's naive to expect Southers to overhaul TSA. And I don't think Southers needs to overhaul TSA. I do think, however, that he needs to tackle a couple things put in place by Kip Hawley that may have had good intentions but have had questionable results.

1. Eliminate gate screening and put the focus on checkpoint screening. Once screened, there's no need to re-screen.

2. Eliminate BDOs; however, train TSOs some of BDO techniques to improve screening effectiveness. I think a TSO can screen more effectively if a passenger displays certain behavior; however, the basic prompt for screening still needs to be driven by a primary screening (x-ray, WTMD alarms, etc) and NOT JUST behavior. I don't think we need "specialized" TSOs in this arena.

3. Eliminate PASS and evaluate TSOs using the exact same methodology used in the rest of government.

Nice-to-do but not showstopper issues for me:

Get rid of the goddamned uniform with badge and go with a more practical "uniform:" polos with a TSA logo.

I agree with most of this. Some more things need to go, like ID checking, the shoe carnival, and liquid lunacy.

Additionally, I see no reason to allow screeners to unionize. First off, there are a lot of federal employees that DON'T get to unionize. Secondly, TSA is largely unaccountable as it is and has a difficult enough time getting rid of bad apples. Adding a union into the mix will only make that worse. We don't need to make it so that it takes a person getting caught 8 times sleeping on the job to get fired (just an example that happened at my last company). Nor do we need to give the Alvin Crabtrees multiple chances for bringing loaded guns to work. Thirdly, I believe unions promote mediocrity, much like the GS system did. There's no reason to go to a seniority based system that unions promote nor is there any reason to pay every worker the exact same. The good workers won't be rewarded for their work and the bad ones will get paid just the same. Overhaul the PASS system - make it more fair and reward the screeners that do a good job and demote or can the ones that can't make the grade.

FWIW, I worked in a union shop in a state gov't before. Wasn't thrilled about the idea and we didn't have to belong, but they controlled everything anyway whether you were a member or not. I thought they were largely a waste.

DoD's finally getting off the GS scale and moving to DCIPS where there's pay banding. The intent of the program is to be able to better reward those people who excel at their jobs while giving little or no increase to the under performers. I think it's a good idea - it should at least be more fair than the current promotion process (which was a joke and not really fair IMO) and be able to reward more people for doing a good job. My agency is in the process of going to it and the first DCIPS cycle will be next year. It'll be interesting to see how it shapes up.

Super
Old Aug 8, 2009, 12:56 pm

Programs: TSA TSO
Originally Posted by Superguy
Additionally, I see no reason to allow screeners to unionize. First off, there are a lot of federal employees that DON'T get to unionize.
Aside from the fact, that every other agency in DHS is unionized minus USGC due to their military functions, IIRC.

Secondly, TSA is largely unaccountable as it is and has a difficult enough time getting rid of bad apples. Adding a union into the mix will only make that worse.
Perhaps, but some of want accountibility and I feel forcing TSA showing to show management surveys will weed out bad managers that themselves underperform. On top of that, our whistle blower protection is practically nil... just look what happened with Robert McLean.

Thirdly, I believe unions promote mediocrity, much like the GS system did. There's no reason to go to a seniority based system that unions promote nor is there any reason to pay every worker the exact same. The good workers won't be rewarded for their work and the bad ones will get paid just the same. Overhaul the PASS system - make it more fair and reward the screeners that do a good job and demote or can the ones that can't make the grade.

DoD's finally getting off the GS scale and moving to DCIPS where there's pay banding. The intent of the program is to be able to better reward those people who excel at their jobs while giving little or no increase to the under performers.

Super
Well then welcome to what we go through because even though it supposed to do that it does the exact opposite as Bart has pointed out before with those people who get that short burst of energy and perform good enough and then go back to being mediocre and I have pointed that cronyism plays alot into it.

Don't follow SOP good enough but kiss enough ... you'll get rewarded nicely... but follow SOP correctly but don't kiss ...... no bonus for you.
Old Aug 8, 2009, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by LoganTSO
Aside from the fact, that every other agency in DHS is unionized minus USGC due to their military functions, IIRC.
And DHS is an out of control and underperfomring organization as it is. Coincidence? As I stated before, it's hard enough for the G to get rid of bad apples as it is without union protection. Why does more fuel need to be added to that fire?

Perhaps, but some of want accountibility and I feel forcing TSA showing to show management surveys will weed out bad managers that themselves underperform. On top of that, our whistle blower protection is practically nil... just look what happened with Robert McLean.
I agree that management at TSA is a big problem. There's a lot of bad apples in there too. It encourages the bad apples in the lower ranks. Funny thing is that it SES govies are a lot easier to get rid of GS employees. However, when the bad apples are sitting at the top - Kippie, Chertoff, Nappy, etc, it's easy for the bad apples to stay when being a bad apple is viewed as a good thing because it fits the cultural norm.

I also agree that there should be better whistle blower protection. I'm not convinced that a union will fix that as it seems to be more of a Congress and courts thing.

Well then welcome to what we go through because even though it supposed to do that it does the exact opposite as Bart has pointed out before with those people who get that short burst of energy and perform good enough and then go back to being mediocre and I have pointed that cronyism plays alot into it.

Don't follow SOP good enough but kiss enough ... you'll get rewarded nicely... but follow SOP correctly but don't kiss ...... no bonus for you.
Welcome to the real world. If you think that cronyism and a$$ kissing isn't at play in the private sector or even the unionized govie sector, then I have a bridge to sell you. A union won't fix that - there's cronyism within the union and guess who gets to move up? It's just a different type of good ol' boys club. Neither club is a good thing.

I'll tell you one thing - I didn't get promoted when I was a unionized govie as I wasn't a yes man. I spoke my mind, pointed out problems, and generally tried to improve things for the good of the organization, the students, and the tax payer. Others didn't. Guess who moved up? The yes men and brown nosers.

Unions won't fix that problem - you'll just trade one set of problems for another. The problem will be fixed by overhauling the system. TSA's system is broken beyond repair.

Super
Old Aug 8, 2009, 3:17 pm
Suspended

Old Aug 8, 2009, 3:56 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by doober
Hey, dogs are way better than virtual strip-searches or patdowns! I, for one, would much prefer being sniffed by a dog, providing he's polite and mannerly, than going into one of the machines or being fondled.
Totally agree. I'd rather have a dog poke and sniff my crotch any day than a TSA ossifer lapdog back-hand it.
Old Aug 8, 2009, 5:10 pm

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by Flaflyer
He's the Homeland Security dude for LAX. Guess LAX will be the role model for the rest of the country.
That's enough right there. LAX has police checkpoints on each road into the airport - staffed with cops, TSA and CBP. Traffic routinely backs up on Century Blvd, and they always have at least one car pulled over pulling stuff out of each compartment.

If LAX is the role model, we are headed further up the creek in a wire canow.

Oh well so much for change. He's for Big Brother Camera Land: Automated License Plate Recognition Technology according to above link page 7. He is also promoting Security thru "Randomization" of efforts, page 8. He calls for scientific research on peroxides explosives ^ but buys into the 2006 Liquids Plot. Prediction: War on Water continues unabated and BDO's get cameras.

This guy is a career cop, molded by the J. Edgar Brigade. He is put in charge of 44,000 LEO-wannabees with tin badges looking for mission creep. Unless the courts in Bierfield and Fofina put restrictions on The Southers Agency, I fear I am seeing the creation of a Nationl Blue Shirt Southersstaffel. I do hope I am wrong.
More reason to oppose him.
Old Aug 8, 2009, 5:32 pm

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
It doesn’t call for a military solution.
Certainly not in the nations' airports; it doesn't even call for a military approach.

His lack of military experience is Good Thing but the LE background does concern me. He may have a better grasp of law, civil rights and the limits of powers; or he may not care and support, defend or expand the abuse of the 4th Amendment.

Like others have written, what's probably going to happen is... nothing. He has no Washington experience and is unlikely to have encountered the kind of mendacious mandarins who infest the TSA. I don't know what the administrator's duties are, but I don't think it's much of a policy position and anyway there are multiple levels between him and the workers to obstruct or obfuscate any changes.

Still if he's just a titular mouthpiece at least he seems more lucid than Hawley; which isn't saying much, really.

We'll see.
Old Aug 8, 2009, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Among other things, we'll know what kind of a leader he is based on how/if he responds the first time a screener(s) does something really stupid that makes the news.
Old Aug 8, 2009, 7:55 pm
Suspended

Old Aug 8, 2009, 8:21 pm

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
He was specifically referring to the general approach to terrorism. Nowhere in the article did it imply, suggest, nor refer to airport security screening.
Quoting out of context certainly is unbecoming of you.
The context is he is the TSA administrator, and his views on the "War" are directly relevant. I don't object to ex-military screeners since they are, by and large, more mature than most; providing they can keep the hoo-rahs to a minimum.

We saw the military influence of the first TSA heads, and some of their inanities are still with us. I'm not sure an ex-Feeb is the right choice, but I'm going to give him a chance. For a while...

cf:
Deputy Defense Secretary Paul Wolfowitz, testifying in October before the Senate Armed Services Committee, agreed that it might be desirable to give federal troops more of a role in domestic policing to prevent terrorism. "In certain cases we can do more than anyone else in the country because of the special capabilities that we have,'' he said.
Hopefully, those days are gone. For ever.
Old Aug 8, 2009, 8:38 pm
Suspended

Last edited by Bart; Sep 18, 2009 at 6:18 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.