Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Court says TSA engaged in unlawful search. (Fofana)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Court says TSA engaged in unlawful search. (Fofana)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2009, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Trollkiller
I have the feeling that this ruling will cause sweeping changes in the way the TSO witnesses are coached.
Definitely the post of the day, if not of the year.

Well said!

^^^
Old Jun 22, 2009, 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by NY-FLA
Perhaps the best in class Googling lawyers could not follow the links to complete the basis for this position.
Is this a smack at Francine? If so, her name as "Francine the Googling lawyer" will be forever etched.
Old Jun 22, 2009, 5:22 pm
Suspended

If travelers have a
privacy interest in the contents of their luggage
I wonder if this could be extended to a "privacy interest in their bodies" as a means for preventing the MMW from becoming the primary method of screening. Seems to me one's body is more "private" than the contents of one's luggage.
Old Jun 22, 2009, 5:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by doober
If travelers have a I wonder if this could be extended to a "privacy interest in their bodies" as a means for preventing the MMW from becoming the primary method of screening. Seems to me one's body is more "private" than the contents of one's luggage.
I think that "privacy" is defined as being in force when it's out of the TSA's scope of a search for threats to aviation security. Thus, the strip search would be fair game.
Old Jun 22, 2009, 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by Brewfangrb
the Judge is NOT saying the TSO cannot report suspicious discoveries to an LEO (just like an ordinary citizen would)...but rather, as part of the procedure, if the goal of airport screening is to prevent weapons, etc from making on the airplane, once the TSO determines an item is NOT a weapon or a threat to safety, they cannot expand the search to "make sure" or by looking for contraband. (Because, contraband is not a weapon and while it MIGHT be illegal, it's not a threat to flight safety).

I should clarify, the order doesn't really say the TSA CAN'T search for contraband, but the results of that search aren't going to be acceptable for evidence in a charge for something else (in this case, fake passports). So they might as well just not do it.
If this is an accurate summary of the ruling, this is really exciting news!

(Cue law enforcement types who can't see past the fact that the defendant was likely guilty of something, and who don't understand the risk of allowing any evidence regardless of how it was collected.)
Old Jun 22, 2009, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by doober
If travelers have a I wonder if this could be extended to a "privacy interest in their bodies" as a means for preventing the MMW from becoming the primary method of screening. Seems to me one's body is more "private" than the contents of one's luggage.
This decision was solely in the context of admissibility of evidence found in TSA contraband searches after a passenger was cleared with respect to posing a threat to aviation. I don't think it defines a principle applicable to the MMW question, as it is focused on the "confined in good faith to that purpose" prong of the Aukai test, rather than on the "no more extensive or intensive than necessary" prong. In other words, the opinion confirms the limitation on scope of TSA's searches and doesn't address the extent of a search permitted within that scope. It does, however, give some indication of the court's unwillingness to accept TSA's, "anything for security" rationale for its unconstitutional acts.

The Aukai test:

(1) the search is “no more extensive or intensive than necessary, in light of current technology, to detect the presence of weapons or explosives;”

(2) the search “is confined in good faith to that purpose;” and

(3) a potential passenger may avoid the search by choosing not to fly.

Aukai, 497 F.3d at 962.
Old Jun 22, 2009, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Thanks for posting this, Trollkiller!
Old Jun 22, 2009, 6:26 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
i say it's one for us ^ and about bloody time ^

Originally Posted by AngryMiller
Interesting. Do your job searching for weapons, incendiary devices and explosives. Don't go on a fishing expedition for illegal items. If you stumble across something in the open then report it.

TK, does that pretty much sum it up?
yup

Pretty much. I feel a bit sorry for the screener, as they seem to have been working within their training and the SOP.
not me. not one bit. every employee has the right to question something if they don't think it is right. the "i was just following orders" as noted by AngryMiller below, doesn't cut it with me

Yep, but that's what sometimes happen when you go into the 'just following orders' mode of operation. When dealing with people you've got to use some common sense and think well on your feet or you get hosed by the exceptions.

^^^^
yup.

I have the feeling that this ruling will cause sweeping changes in the way the TSO witnesses are coached.
ya think?
Old Jun 22, 2009, 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by pmocek
If this is an accurate summary of the ruling, this is really exciting news!

(Cue law enforcement types who can't see past the fact that the defendant was likely guilty of something, and who don't understand the risk of allowing any evidence regardless of how it was collected.)
Well, I am no lawyer (I don't play one on TV and I've never stayed at a Holiday Inn Express). But, my reading of the judges ruling acknowledges a need to protect the government's interest (such as it is) in airport security. However, airport security is an administrative search and is an exception to the requirement for a warrant. The exception ONLY extends to the search within the parameters of the purpose of the security.

That is, if you're providing security at an airport, you can only search for items that affect flight safety--in MY interpretation, that means if they find a bottle of vodka and I were under 21, the TSA MAY report my possession of the vodka, but the cops can't use the vodka as evidence to give me an underage possession ticket.
Old Jun 22, 2009, 7:19 pm

Programs: Holiday Inn Plat NW gold AA gold
Originally Posted by Brewfangrb
That is, if you're providing security at an airport, you can only search for items that affect flight safety--in MY interpretation, that means if they find a bottle of vodka and I were under 21, the TSA MAY report my possession of the vodka, but the cops can't use the vodka as evidence to give me an underage possession ticket.
If the bottle is in plain sight and you're obviously under age then they can report you to a LEO for action. If the bottle is well wrapped and passes the ETD then they can't unwrap the bottle (in checked baggage) to see what it is for LEO intervention. If it is undeclared liquids in hand carried luggage, wrapped up, they can't unwrap them then call a LEO over. They've got to accept your voluntary 'surrender' of said liquids.

This might be enough of a PITA to herald an end to the war on liquids.
Old Jun 22, 2009, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
I hate to be Cpt. BuzzKill. But ruling is essentially useless. Hand checks weren't outlawed, just an intent to be an LEO.

No TSA is every going to admited to wanting to be a LEO ever again, but they'll still continue to do it.
Old Jun 22, 2009, 7:25 pm

Programs: Holiday Inn Plat NW gold AA gold
Originally Posted by colpuck
I hate to be Cpt. BuzzKill. But ruling is essentially useless. Hand checks weren't outlawed, just an intent to be an LEO.

No TSA is every going to admited to wanting to be a LEO ever again, but they'll still continue to do it.
Possibly, but this might have a chilling effect on the way TSA routinely tramples the rights of passengers. Since Congress has done nothing to reign in the out of control agency it is up to the courts to do so. This is the first case that I can remember where they've gotten anything close to a slap down.
Old Jun 22, 2009, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Sounds like the moral of the story is if you don't want TSA snooping thru anything that isn't germaine to the search of weapons, explosives, or incendiaries, stick it in an envelope.

I think the pot heads now know how to get weed thru the airport.
Old Jun 22, 2009, 7:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Possibly, but this might have a chilling effect on the way TSA routinely tramples the rights of passengers. Since Congress has done nothing to reign in the out of control agency it is up to the courts to do so. This is the first case that I can remember where they've gotten anything close to a slap down.
I think it also gives a good precedent for the $4700 case.

Saw that case talked about on CNN today and they weren't toeing the "anything for security" line. ^
Old Jun 22, 2009, 8:39 pm

If the bottle is in plain sight and you're obviously under age then they can report you to a LEO for action. If the bottle is well wrapped and passes the ETD then they can't unwrap the bottle (in checked baggage) to see what it is for LEO intervention. If it is undeclared liquids in hand carried luggage, wrapped up, they can't unwrap them then call a LEO over. They've got to accept your voluntary 'surrender' of said liquids.

This might be enough of a PITA to herald an end to the war on liquids.
I just realized this was kind of a bad example, due to the War on Water (and Ketel One). Thus, the LEO probably could ticket me for underage possession since the search that found the vodka was part of the scope of the allowed search. Hmm, of to work on a better example.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.