Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Court says TSA engaged in unlawful search. (Fofana)

Court says TSA engaged in unlawful search. (Fofana)

Old Jul 28, 2009, 9:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Superguy
Sounds to me like Francine couldn't come up with an argument that would hold up under an appeal.
Francine would have had minimal input on the decision. Real lawyers make those calls.
Old Jul 28, 2009, 10:21 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by halls120
My guess is that they simply didn't want to lose at the appellate level, and have it serve as binding in the entire Circuit.
Pity-- the factual findings in that case were near perfect for making law.

Next time the TSO's will be coached better and will make the search seem necessary-- maybe for the next suppression hearing, they'll have Carla Martin consult with TSO's. Or Ron could do it.
Old Jul 28, 2009, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by halls120
Francine would have had minimal input on the decision. Real lawyers make those calls.
Sounds like the real lawyers couldn't justify her calls.

Yet another vote of confidence in her legal skills ...
Old Jul 29, 2009, 7:47 am

Originally Posted by Ari
Pity-- the factual findings in that case were near perfect for making law.
Which is, I suspect, why they dismissed the appeal.
Old Jul 29, 2009, 8:54 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
I have no proof but I think that TSA has encouraged its screeners to go well beyond a normal administrative search.

There have been just to many comments from to many TSO's to not reach that conclusion. How many of these people all said that having $10,000 was illegal. Even the security expert TSORon made that claim as well as Kelly and others saying the same thing. They all crabbed when shown the truth but they did say it.

No, I think TSA unwritten policy of abuse of administrative searches goes well up the food chain.
+1.

As those that engage in such activity, they are promoted. And as they become promoted, it becomes the rule everywhere.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.