FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues-686/)
-   -   Curveball: Which airport has the most efficiently run TSA? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues/957570-curveball-airport-has-most-efficiently-run-tsa.html)

mjcewl1284 May 24, 2009 3:30 am

Curveball: Which airport has the most efficiently run TSA?

(Notice how I said most efficiently run, not best)

My vote would go to MSP. They give out pretty consistent orders, have decent placards telling people going through the check what to do, they don't audible rules and actually reply to you as if you were a human being if questions are asked.

(Please don't turn this into a Best and Worst post.)

KNRG May 24, 2009 4:06 am

TPA funnels people through extremely fast considering their volume, and they definitely one-up other airports with similar layouts (things like the monorail shuttles to airsides - Orlando can't get that right.)

whirledtraveler May 24, 2009 4:53 am

Of all of the ways to rate the TSA, why efficiency?

LessO2 May 24, 2009 9:52 am

Speed is not the greatest concern of mine. Detection of prohibited items is my barometer.

In all the shameless PR the TSA does for itself, such as catching drug runners or people with an expired driver's license, isn't it funny how they don't beat their chest over a high rate of prohibited item detections?

Seems kind of odd how they don't beat their chest over that, doesn't it? Wonder why?

triehle May 24, 2009 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by LessO2 (Post 11797679)
Speed is not the greatest concern of mine. Detection of prohibited items is my barometer.

In all the shameless PR the TSA does for itself, such as catching drug runners or people with an expired driver's license, isn't it funny how they don't beat their chest over a high rate of prohibited item detections?

Seems kind of odd how they don't beat their chest over that, doesn't it? Wonder why?

You don't understand anything about security, Less Oxygen. The real test is not high rate of prohibited item detections. The real test is:

TSOWilliamReed: "TSA catches terrorists all the time, they just don't go to jail. They are denied access to their flight and sent away from the airport after it has been determined they don't have anything dangerous on them."
That's right: The Terrorists Caught and Sent Home measure
and

TSOWilliamReed said...
Yes we really do catch terrorist test runs all the time. I am currently working on getting permision to post some articles for the blog to prove it but they are UFUO (SSI only government wide not TSA wide). Sometimes they aren't terrorists and they are just people who want to hurt others. Someone mentioned that the latest news on TSA.gov hasn't changed in the last couple months. Thats because that was the last incident that we are allowed to release to the public and thats not a TSA rule thats your entire governments rule. UFUO is a government wide SSI not TSA. We have had plenty more incidents since then but they were all considered UFUO. <snip> The reason the information is UFUO isn't because the information doesn't exsist, its because there is so much information that our government doesn't want people to freak out and not fly. May 6, 2009 2:24 PM
That's right--More Truth Than You Can Handle test.

and

TSORon said: Catching them is not the job of the TSA, deterring them is.
It is the TSORon Hardened Terrorists Get to the Airport, See What TSA Has in Store for Them, Turn Tail and Run Back to the Drawing Board test.

If you just want to count how many terrorists, their weapons, bombs and incindiery devices have been caught by TSA per $million spent, you are just setting TSA up to fail.

If you count how many have been caught and released, how many incidents involving TSA-captured terrorists that have been hushed up by TSA to spare pax the kind of terror screeners have to live with day in and day out, or how many time TSA staff have SPOTted terrorists who have fled the airport in confusion before the multi-layered security laid down by TSA, well, my friend, then you would see the value of TSA.

mkt May 24, 2009 8:19 pm

SJU is IMO not bad at all. They have their good days and bad days, but a bad day at SJU to me is better than an average day at BOS, EWR, ORD.....

amlothi May 24, 2009 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by triehle (Post 11799490)
It is the TSORon Hardened Terrorists Get to the Airport, See What TSA Has in Store for Them, Turn Tail and Run Back to the Drawing Board test.

I actually respect the TSOs on this board that come in and try to help. They don't make the policies, they are volunteering their time answering questions and giving their point of view.

I don't think it's fair to cherry pick a few comments, potentially out of context, from the discussions on this board and treat it as if it's an official TSA press release.

You wouldn't assume that any of the FAs on this board are speaking officially on behalf of their airline, would you?

CHIC SILBER May 24, 2009 8:58 pm

TPA

Me two for TPA

They seem to pay attention and don't make you feel

like everyone is either REALLY stupid or trying to get

away with something

Efficient & Courteous

Lumpy May 24, 2009 10:00 pm

Efficiency being the standard, it would be very hard to determine between DEN, TPA, MSP, Treblinka or Dachau. All very, VERY efficient at expediting passage, though.

Just keep lining up.

mjcewl1284 May 25, 2009 5:41 am

Originally Posted by Lumpy (Post 11799873)
Efficiency being the standard, it would be very hard to determine between DEN, TPA, MSP, Treblinka or Dachau. All very, VERY efficient at expediting passage, though.

Just keep lining up.

Let me know when those airports are fitted with gas chambers. :rolleyes:

mjcewl1284 May 25, 2009 5:43 am

I also find it that most airport checkpoints that are not overstaffed with TSA people run the most smoothly. But that is very very very few.

HSVTSO Dean May 25, 2009 6:32 am

Originally Posted by mjcewl1284
I also find it that most airport checkpoints that are not overstaffed with TSA people run the most smoothly.

It's been my experience that there's an optimal number of screeners that can work on one lane. Go higher than that number, and people will start to trip on each other and get in everybody else's way, and efficiency actually starts to drag.

IslandBased May 25, 2009 6:35 am

Originally Posted by HSVTSO Dean (Post 11800886)
It's been my experience that there's an optimal number of screeners that can work on one lane. Go higher than that number, and people will start to trip on each other and get in everybody else's way, and efficiency actually starts to drag.

Maybe you should bring that observation up the food chain to management.:p

HSVTSO Dean May 25, 2009 6:53 am

Originally Posted by IslandBased
Maybe you should bring that observation up the food chain to management.

Well. Our management knows~

IslandBased May 25, 2009 6:56 am

Originally Posted by HSVTSO Dean (Post 11800946)
Well. Our management knows~

That's because you live in a town full of rocket scientists..:D