Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

CBP officer and his supervisor "wow! I've never seen one of them new passport cards!"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CBP officer and his supervisor "wow! I've never seen one of them new passport cards!"

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2009, 12:42 pm
Original Poster

About two weeks ago, I was returning to the US....when I
landed after a 14-hour flight, I was exhausted(because as
usual, I didn't get upgraded, even as a UA GS customer )

at least my flight was the only flight arriving and I managed to walk fast enough to be at the head of the line. I took my passport book out of the
passport cover and just then my passport card also fell out. The CBP officer picked it up and stared at it.... I was about the reach over and take it back,
but he said "hold on, let me take a look here...." He waved his supervisor(?) over and they both looked at it. I was wondering what the problem might have been.... then the supervisor blurted out "wow! I've never seen one of them new passport cards! where did you get it? " I replied: "the post office?"

correct me if I'm wrong, but the passport card out has been out for a while now... I've had mine for more than a year. How can they not have seen one yet? Sure, they work at the airport, not a land border crossing, but I'm sure they must have seen one in training?(or has been training been cut due to budget problems?)

A few seconds later, the first CBP officer stamped my passport book and I went on my way. hmmmm...
Old Sep 26, 2009, 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by Argen_Tina
correct me if I'm wrong, but the passport card out has been out for a while now... I've had mine for more than a year. How can they not have seen one yet? Sure, they work at the airport, not a land border crossing, but I'm sure they must have seen one in training?(or has been training been cut due to budget problems?)
I don't think this is so ridiculous. What's the point on training an airport CBP agent on the passport card, when you can't use the passport card at an airport checkpoint to gain entry to the US? "Here, study this card very carefully, so that you can recognize it when you ... uh ... reject it as a valid id."

After all, if it's a valid invalid ID, or an invalid invalid ID, it's still an invalid ID. (I think.)
Old Sep 26, 2009, 3:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jkhuggins

After all, if it's a valid invalid ID, or an invalid invalid ID, it's still an invalid ID. (I think.)
don't you meant that the passport card is an invalid valid ID, being valid at an invalid location,
and the validity is not in question just the validity of the valid location? so it's really valid,
just not..... oh I give up....

what actually surprises me even more is that 8 out of 10 airline agents that I show it to have
never even heard of the Passport Card..... I was checking in for a flight at JFK back
in August. The AA first class check-in agent thought I was using a fake ID because she insisted
that there is no such thing as a Passport Card. She called airport security on me. Fortunately,
the cop were much wiser and told the AA agent not to bother them again next time.
Old Sep 26, 2009, 3:50 pm
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP "Life is good! Really good.""
I understand you need a passport book to leave/enter the country, but can the passport card be used as govt issued ID for domestic flights?
Old Sep 26, 2009, 4:16 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
About two weeks ago, I was returning to the US....when I
landed after a 14-hour flight, I was exhausted(because as
usual, I didn't get upgraded, even as a UA GS customer )

at least my flight was the only flight arriving and I managed to walk fast enough to be at the head of the line. I took my passport book out of the
passport cover and just then my passport card also fell out. The CBP officer picked it up and stared at it.... I was about the reach over and take it back,
but he said "hold on, let me take a look here...." He waved his supervisor(?) over and they both looked at it. I was wondering what the problem might have been.... then the supervisor blurted out "wow! I've never seen one of them new passport cards! where did you get it? " I replied: "the post office?"

A few seconds later, the first CBP officer stamped my passport book and I went on my way. hmmmm...
i'm more concerned with this person charged with keeping our country safe saying "i've never seen one of them passport cards before" vs "i've never seen one of those passport cards before". doesn't say much for intelligence, afaic.
Old Sep 26, 2009, 4:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by goalie
i'm more concerned with this person charged with keeping our country safe saying "i've never seen one of them passport cards before" vs "i've never seen one of those passport cards before". doesn't say much for intelligence, afaic.
well.... the guy was rather intimidating-looking.... and he said "them passport cards" like a pure-bred redneck.... (and I mean that as a compliment.... if I had to hire a security chief for my company, he'd be the one)
Old Sep 26, 2009, 4:49 pm

Programs: AA-3MM-ExPLT
At yet, today @ SEA, the TSO said "I really like these - they are easy to read and find everything on"

YMMV

-----Burton
Old Sep 26, 2009, 5:49 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by lili
I understand you need a passport book to leave/enter the country, but can the passport card be used as govt issued ID for domestic flights?
I have had 100% success using the passport card as ID for check in, TSA, and Sky Club. Though I have had a couple of "double-takes". YMMV.

BTW: At some point I am going to try to use it when I get carded at a bar/restuarant (not an airport one). Be intresting to see what happens...
Old Sep 26, 2009, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
My app for the passport card is out ... once I get it, I plan to use it for any id request I receive. The only time my license will come out is when I rent a car or get stopped by a cop.
Old Sep 26, 2009, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold

Yes, the passport card is specifically on the list of approved government-issued IDs.

I've never had a problem using it, but it usually results in a double-take, and often a comment similar to the one the OP received... "wow, I've never seen one of these before!" But it hasn't been rejected yet...(knock on wood)
Old Sep 26, 2009, 11:41 pm
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP "Life is good! Really good.""
Originally Posted by GoingAway
My app for the passport card is out ... once I get it, I plan to use it for any id request I receive. The only time my license will come out is when I rent a car or get stopped by a cop.
How long does it take to get the passport card? You applied several weeks ago...?

My son convinced me cops don't need to see your license. At least in CA they just plug your name into whatever they have in their cars and if you have a license it pops up. He has never carried his, and unfortunately has had many encounters where you and I think holding a driver's license out the window and holding your breath is the way to go.

Rental car folk still want to see a license, but that's about it. Mine has a PO Box for the address, which caused a bit of consternation at the CBP interview for GOES. I'm also considering getting a CA ID card from the DMV just for kicks, since my Library of Congress govt issued photo ID is no longer accepted.
Old Sep 27, 2009, 1:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/Marriott Plat/Hertz PC
How long does it take to get the passport card? You applied several weeks ago...?

My son convinced me cops don't need to see your license. At least in CA they just plug your name into whatever they have in their cars and if you have a license it pops up. He has never carried his, and unfortunately has had many encounters where you and I think holding a driver's license out the window and holding your breath is the way to go.

Rental car folk still want to see a license, but that's about it. Mine has a PO Box for the address, which caused a bit of consternation at the CBP interview for GOES. I'm also considering getting a CA ID card from the DMV just for kicks, since my Library of Congress govt issued photo ID is no longer accepted.
I know that in some states you're required to have it and you can be ticketed if you don't.
Old Sep 27, 2009, 2:03 am

Location: various cities in the USofA: NYC, BWI, IAH, ORD, CVG, NYC
Programs: Former UA 1K, National Exec. Elite
"wow! I've never seen one of them new passport cards! where did you get it? "
The CBP employee was merely proving his US citizenship by demonstrating his inability to speak English. Either that, or he was demonstrating the lack of intelligence required of some US LEOs.
Old Sep 27, 2009, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
It's similar to the passport timeline, about 6 weeks. I didn't pay to expedite and didn't do this via the post office. I just mailed in the application, note that they require the passport to be sent in with the package for some stupid reason (much easier to request a new book and card at the same time).

Hoping they don't lose the passport in the process!!

Last edited by GoingAway; Sep 27, 2009 at 11:38 am
Old Sep 27, 2009, 10:56 am

Passport ID's are/have always been valid to prove who you are. The only reason they can't be used for international air travel, is that there's nowhere for the customs guys to stamp.

If anybody tells you that you can't use a passport card for any other reason, (i.e.- any situation that requires ID), he's an idiot and you should ask for a supervisor.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.