Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Everybody FREEZE!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2009, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
This happened to me as well. I also started a thread on it misspelled BREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEECH!!!!!!. [sic] Seems to be a popular activity to in ATL to hold random drills.
Old May 23, 2009, 12:21 am

Programs: CO/DL
Originally Posted by Lumpy
Unfortunately, RoadVeteran, not very many of us coddled Americans (and others) are willing to give up getting from one place to another VERY FAST while risking our dignity and being treated like trash.

At any rate, hope you can stick by your guns, as I have for four years.

I'll be damned if TSA or the airports will get any more public humiliation out of me until things change.

The rest will just keep lining up and complaining about being made public examples.
At the time of this "incident" with the TSA scum at the gate, I was to begin my vacation, so I had time on my side. I was fully prepared to use 1 or more days and drive back to IAH rather than put up with any more TSA bull*hit

You can bet I will, as you say "stick by my guns" if that means no more flying on my part. I have meetings coming up next month in Dallas, Shreveport, and Austin and I will be driving to all of those, so unless TSA is doing random security checks on the interstate, I wont have to deal with any of their hired stooges................hmm, random security checks on the interstate, maybe I should not be giving TSA any ideas.
Old May 23, 2009, 12:32 am

Programs: CO/DL
Originally Posted by triehle
Well, I know you did the right thing, RV, when you snatched your property back from them, turned around and went back to the lounge to arrange a different flight.

Not having been there, I have to ask. What do you suppose this little thug and his two co-conspirators would have done if you'd snatched back your wallet, put it in your pocket, and waited silently for them to finish their business with your carry on, then headed down the jetway and boarded your flight? Would they have recognized they had no business pawing through your wallet and snatching your money, and sheepishly let you go on your way, or would it have been DY...T?
Dont know what they would have done, in hindsight I almost wish I had done just what you mention. I walked away, I never even turned around to see what the expression on their faces were.

As others, including some tso's have pointed out, they have no power to arrest or detain, but leo's of course do.

I do know that if the young punk I mentioned had touched me to try and stop me from walking away, my reaction would have been one that got me arrested for sure.
Old May 23, 2009, 7:19 am

Stunts like this...

Stunts like this have the potential to go very bad.

If TSA yells "Freeze - Don't move!" and then I yelled "Don't shoot!" and hit the floor for protection, what would my fellow passengers do? Also hit the floor? Stampede?

What if somebody yelled "OMG!" in a panicy voice? Or better yet, started yelling "Ah la la la la la la la la la" in a high pitched voice?

I liked the raspberry idea though!
Old May 23, 2009, 9:10 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by AArlington
Stunts like this have the potential to go very bad.

If TSA yells "Freeze - Don't move!" and then I yelled "Don't shoot!" and hit the floor for protection, what would my fellow passengers do? Also hit the floor? Stampede?

What if somebody yelled "OMG!" in a panicy voice? Or better yet, started yelling "Ah la la la la la la la la la" in a high pitched voice?

I liked the raspberry idea though!
yup and as i posted back on page one...and the family of the pax who dropped dead of a heart attack as a result of the drill is now contacting their attorney
Old May 23, 2009, 9:26 am

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, TSA Disparager Gold, going for Platnium
Originally Posted by goalie
yup and as i posted back on page one...and the family of the pax who dropped dead of a heart attack as a result of the drill is now contacting their attorney
good maybe a few more lawsuits due to TSA stupidity will highlight to congress how badly this POS agency needs to be nuked Darwin style and the ashes buried never to be resurected
Old May 23, 2009, 11:01 am

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
Originally Posted by RoadVeteran

If any of the airline employee lurkers should read this, you can send a thank you note to TSA for losing another of your frequent flyers.
This is something we've known for a long time. As for this airline employee, for the reasons you brought out in your post for which you get a BIG ^ from me I very seldom use my so called benefits as I do not wish to deal with the crap. I see what happens the 5days a week I work. Thus when I'm off I choose not to see anyone from TSA.
Old May 23, 2009, 11:42 am

A few years ago at PDX, my partner went through the metal detector, it beeped, and a TSA agent shouted "Security Alert! Close all the doors!" and you could hear clunk-clunk-clunk-clunk-clunk as all the doors at the jetways slammed shut.

Turns out it wasn't related to my partner but we still got all kinds of pointing and staringlater from people in the terminal who didn't know that. (And we never found out why the alarm went off -- when he was wanded, his zipper was the only metal on him.)
Old May 23, 2009, 12:09 pm

Programs: CO PLT, HH DIA
Originally Posted by LessO2
TSA doesn't have the power to detain. I'd just keep on walking.

That was my first thought. But if you ignored them they would start shoving their tin badges in your face invoking their authoritah, and that would probably be followed by another round of millions of tax dollars being spent on a different color shirt and new badges (I'm thinking a hologram TSA logo in the center and flashing red LEDs at nine places around the edge) because the TSO's collective self-esteem would have been demolished and lord knows that having the TSOs feel good about themselves and their jobs is more important than any actual security being provided.

Back in 2002 I was with my girlfriend at PHX in the official Barry Manilow airline terminal (or whoever's name is on it) and we were two people from the WTMD and one of them shrieked "BRAVO!!!" and slammed shut these flimsy plastic roll doors to block the WTMD. We all stood there with the big "w-t-f" question mark over our heads and about 120 seconds later they all opened up the roll doors and acted like nothing was wrong.

Good to see they are still practicing the same kabuki security in 2009. It's become such a hassle that this frequent flyer is going to be driving the 'Vette to some jobs in surrounding states instead of flying. The TSA has started demanding that I take every last wire out of my computer bag, my tools get rifled through, it's becoming more and more difficult to do my job when I get there because of all the nonsense security. Last summer I drove from Chicago to Denver--TWICE--because I didnt need to deal with the hassle. Even at $4.71 a gallon it was a lot easier and more fun than flying.

--PP

Last edited by VideoPaul; May 23, 2009 at 12:25 pm
Old May 23, 2009, 11:29 pm
KTW

My head hurts after reading some of these.....I was going to post a 1,000 word explanation but I can't do it. Based on the OP as stated it doesn't matter who yelled "Everybody Freeze". You simply do not have to do it. I am not saying what you should or should not do. I am saying that after all the smoke cleared you would be fine. This is not a question and answer post. If you disagree, don't bother telling me.
Old May 23, 2009, 11:33 pm
Suspended

Last edited by Bart; Sep 18, 2009 at 8:27 am
Old May 24, 2009, 2:14 am

Originally Posted by RoadVeteran
I believe the closest I have ever came to being arrested was in CLE last week. Got to the gate and seen that 3 of the TSA snakes were waiting for their victims, sure enough I got nabbed, and when one of them opened my wallet the first thing they go for is to take out the money, I instantly grabbed it from his hands and told him in a LOUD and clear manner "keep your hands off of my money!".
This is the reason I no longer carry cash to the airport. If a checkpoint monkey steals one of my credit cards, I'll report it stolen and name one of the thugs as the thief. I'm sure AmEx would LOVE to file criminal charges against them. Next time they try to steal anything I'll make sure to file something with the appropriate District Attorney also. Anyways, cash stays on my person, at all times. And if they try to grope me out of it, well I'll be sure to have my lawyer on speed dial so I can report this incident of sexual harassment.

And as for the "freeze" nonsense, if questioned by an officer I'll just start speaking in French. Or just tell them I needed to use the restroom and I'm not crapping in my pants, not even if my own mother was hanging off a cliff (ok maybe not, but you get the point, my biological needs come before some stupid useless fake security drill-yeah, a terrorist would really ACTUALLY listen to them ). And by "officer" I mean a cop, not a checkpoint monkey. A checkpoint monkey will be ignored, without exception.

Last edited by stupidhead; May 24, 2009 at 2:27 am
Old May 24, 2009, 7:54 am

Originally Posted by VideoPaul
Back in 2002 I was with my girlfriend at PHX in the official Barry Manilow airline terminal (or whoever's name is on it) and we were two people from the WTMD and one of them shrieked "BRAVO!!!" and slammed shut these flimsy plastic roll doors to block the WTMD. We all stood there with the big "w-t-f" question mark over our heads and about 120 seconds later they all opened up the roll doors and acted like nothing was wrong.
So next time this happens, immediately after the "all clear" yell "Bravo! Bravo!" at the top of your lungs and begin applauding the "Great performance!" and see what sort of reaction you get.
Old May 24, 2009, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Bart
I don't know all the details of the incident in question other than what was posted by the OP, but it does not sound to me like this was an actual drill and it sounds more like the TSO in question was just saying that to cover his own stupidity. Still, it begs the question of where was the supervisor and/or manager and/or LEO because I would expect one of them to have intervened.

You are absolutely right: during an emergency situation, maintaining calm and order is paramount, and you can't do that with some idiot yelling "freeze!"

Well there's your problem.

TSA is operating sans management.
Old May 24, 2009, 8:28 am

Sounds like a new dance sensation ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.