Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

checkpoints between Orange County and Las Vegas?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2009, 8:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: Premier 1K, Marriott Platinum

I heard there are checkpoints between OC and Las Vegas on the I15. Are they agriculture or INS checkpoints? Do I need to bring my passport with me to go to Vegas? I just moved to SoCal and never heard of checkpoints in the middle of the freeway.
Old May 7, 2009, 8:15 am

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Originally Posted by RedWingsFan
I heard there are checkpoints between OC and Las Vegas on the I15. Are they agriculture or INS checkpoints? Do I need to bring my passport with me to go to Vegas? I just moved to SoCal and never heard of checkpoints in the middle of the freeway.
There are checkpoints on some major freeways and highways going north from the border, for example, there is a big one on IH-35 in Texas north of Laredo, and IH-10 East bound out of El Paso. I am not aware of one going that far North in California. I have driven from LA to Vegas before and never seen a checkpoint, but that was 15 years ago.

I do not remember an Ag checkpoint for Nevada. I have passed through some Ag checkpoints on I-10 entering Arizona and California before but not Nevada. Other's experiance may vary.

Ciao,
FH
Old May 7, 2009, 8:43 am

I heard there are checkpoints between OC and Las Vegas on the I15. Are they agriculture or INS checkpoints?
I only know of one such checkpoint. It is around Temecula. It is run by CBP and closed most of the time.
Do I need to bring my passport with me to go to Vegas?
That depends. I would definitely suggest bringing the passport if you look, talk, or quack like a foreigner. I was told directly that without proof of my US citizenship I could be subject to indefinite detention.
I just moved to SoCal and never heard of checkpoints in the middle of the freeway.
Welcome! I used to be a Red Wings fan myself (even when I lived in St. Louis and Chicago!) until I moved to Southern California and Ducks started making playoffs on a regular basis. So we are on the opposite sides right now.
Old May 7, 2009, 9:10 am

Programs: UA Gold; AA Dirt; HH Diamond; National Emerald; CONTROL SecretAgent Platinum; KAOS EvilFlyer Gold
There is a California agricultural checkpoint on SOUTHBOUND I-15, just before Barstow (there is nothing northbound). Many times it is unmanned, you just drive through; other times even though it is staffed, I just get waved through without stopping, just slowing down. I've never actually been stopped and asked about fruits/vegetables/etc. in my 20-30 trips through there in the past 10-15 years.

I have not seen any other type of checkpoint on I-15 between Cajon Pass and Las Vegas.
Old May 7, 2009, 9:27 am

I drove from Vegas to Disneyland a year ago. There was an agriculture checkpoint going from Vegas to LA. It was manned, but the guy waved us through. We were in a Chevy Malibu or some similar sedan with 2 (white) people. From Disneyland back to Vegas there was no check point.

It should be far enough away from a border that there cannot be a CBP checkpoint because I thought the supreme court ruling stated that immigration checkpoints had to be within 100 miles of a border. Unless they are counting the sea, they would just be harassing people for no reason.
Old May 7, 2009, 11:37 am

The two posters above are correct -- it's an ag checkpoint and it's on the California side (you pass through from Vegas to California, not the other way around). Don't bring any fruits or vegetables back from Vegas with you.

Even if it was a CBP checkpoint, like the one near Camp Pendleton, you do not need to have your passport with you.
Old May 7, 2009, 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by whitearrow
The two posters above are correct -- it's an ag checkpoint and it's on the California side (you pass through from Vegas to California, not the other way around). Don't bring any fruits or vegetables back from Vegas with you.

Even if it was a CBP checkpoint, like the one near Camp Pendleton, you do not need to have your passport with you.
Technically, no.

However, I was told that, given my foreign accent, I could be detained indefinitely if I do not have my passport with me.
Old May 7, 2009, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by PoliceStateSurvivor
Technically, no.

However, I was told that, given my foreign accent, I could be detained indefinitely if I do not have my passport with me.
That is true anywhere inside the USA - if INS finds a suspected illegal alien they can detain you until your case is reviewed. In practice I would doubt they would detain someone just because they have an accent lack a passport, it woud be more situational specific - in this case probably a car with foreign plates full of undocumented foreigners.

As for the Ag checkpoints, the toll both setup still exists but I haven't seen them occupied in years, they often have signs out saying "closed due to budget cuts". They rarely searched anyone, usually just asked questions to determine if you were bringing in fruits or vegetables.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.