Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Identity Theft and Recording a Driver's License Number

Identity Theft and Recording a Driver's License Number

Old May 6, 09, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/Marriott Plat/Hertz PC
Question Identity Theft and Recording a Driver's License Number

On a trip last week I swung by to visit a friend who lives in a gated community. I was surprised when the attendant at the gate wanted to see my DL. Irritating, but we've all been trained by the TSA, right?

So, I show it to him and he says "No, I have to write down the number."

I said "Absolutely not, there is no valid reason for you to write down my DL number" but he insisted and I stood my ground. My friend came out in his car and we caught up at a restaurant down the street.

My question is: is there any law concerning the recording of driver's license numbers for faux security? Moreover, don't people who do that open themselves up for lawsuits?
Old May 6, 09, 7:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by whirledtraveler View Post
My question is: is there any law concerning the recording of driver's license numbers for faux security? Moreover, don't people who do that open themselves up for lawsuits?
I'd say no and no.
Old May 6, 09, 7:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO Platinum 1K, United 1K, SPG LT Platinum, National Executive Elite, Platinum TSA Hater
Good for you for standing your ground!

This is one of the key reasons my drivers license is both out of state, and the address is a rented PO box.
Old May 6, 09, 8:17 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I use my Passport Card for gated community BS-- and every other time I am asked for an ID.
Old May 6, 09, 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen View Post
Good for you for standing your ground!

This is one of the key reasons my drivers license is both out of state, and the address is a rented PO box.
Right....
Old May 6, 09, 8:31 pm

This forum is always good for a chuckle!
Old May 6, 09, 8:49 pm
mkt

Programs: AA lt PLT; B6 Mosaic; WN A-List; Emerald Club Executive
Was this in SoFla? If so, which community.. I'm genuinely curious.
Old May 6, 09, 9:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, SPG Gold, MR Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Ari View Post
I use my Passport Card for gated community BS-- and every other time I am asked for an ID.
I do the same! No reason to expose your home address and DL number to a rent-a-cop, or even a Trained Document Checker (TSA).
Old May 6, 09, 9:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO Platinum 1K, United 1K, SPG LT Platinum, National Executive Elite, Platinum TSA Hater
Originally Posted by Crazyace718 View Post
Right....
Right...what?
Old May 10, 09, 2:04 am

Programs: UA1P
I'm intentionally leaving out most of the details (type of transaction, date, location). PM me for any relevant details.

I had a transaction where the agent took my drivers license and went to photocopy it. I said no but I think they got a copy anyways. They claimed that they'd validate the information and then destroy the copy. Some days later I had a fraudulent charge on my credit card. I think it was unrelated but I filed a police report anyways. A short time later, I found something of value. They said to bring it to the desk. I said that if they do not find the owner of the item, then as the finder, it belongs to me. They said to bring it in. I told them, "Due to new and enhanced security measures, I require a photocopy of the drivers license of the agent I give the item to." Amazingly, the agent gave me a copy of their license. I destroyed the copy as I want nothing to do with it but it blew my mind that an agent would give me their full name, home address and drivers license number. Really makes me wonder how they treat my personal information if they really don't care about their own safety.
Old May 10, 09, 5:36 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Right...what?
If there is an imaginary line called "far enough" you are quite a bit closer to the next line called "too far".

I can think of 2, maybe 3 times in my life that I've ever had to allow somebody to inspect my license "in detail" - i.e. more than just quickly glancing at it to confirm who I am, or to check my date of birth. Do you encounter dramatically different situations?

I am paranoid about identity theft, and take a huge amount of precautions, but this is just too far. I guess we are different, that's all.
Old May 10, 09, 5:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 12172003 View Post
I'm intentionally leaving out most of the details (type of transaction, date, location). PM me for any relevant details.

I had a transaction where the agent took my drivers license and went to photocopy it. I said no but I think they got a copy anyways. They claimed that they'd validate the information and then destroy the copy. Some days later I had a fraudulent charge on my credit card. I think it was unrelated but I filed a police report anyways. A short time later, I found something of value. They said to bring it to the desk. I said that if they do not find the owner of the item, then as the finder, it belongs to me. They said to bring it in. I told them, "Due to new and enhanced security measures, I require a photocopy of the drivers license of the agent I give the item to." Amazingly, the agent gave me a copy of their license. I destroyed the copy as I want nothing to do with it but it blew my mind that an agent would give me their full name, home address and drivers license number. Really makes me wonder how they treat my personal information if they really don't care about their own safety.
Take a spin through Myspace, Facebook, and/or Twitter and you'll get blown away at how much of their personal lives and identities millions of Americans VOLUNTARILY put out on the internet. The younger generations' privacy boundaries are vastly different than ours -- and there's no turning back. The TSA and the government in general no longer has any fear of the Constitution when it comes to collecting privacy information.
Old May 10, 09, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mkt View Post
Was this in SoFla? If so, which community.. I'm genuinely curious.
I'd rather not say where it is. Sorry.

There's a funny followup though: My friend called me and told me that they dropped the policy (it had only been started a week ago). Turns out that so many of the lawn people and housekeepers who work there are illegal and/or don't have driver's licenses that they can't have that policy in place and keep the place running.
Old May 10, 09, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by star_world View Post
If there is an imaginary line called "far enough" you are quite a bit closer to the next line called "too far".

I can think of 2, maybe 3 times in my life that I've ever had to allow somebody to inspect my license "in detail" - i.e. more than just quickly glancing at it to confirm who I am, or to check my date of birth. Do you encounter dramatically different situations?

I am paranoid about identity theft, and take a huge amount of precautions, but this is just too far. I guess we are different, that's all.
It's not going too far to place a wall between you and identity theft. It's just not identity theft - although not an official resident per se, (my DL is Hawai'i, my car is registered in CA), Florida openly sells its driver license list to marketers, even going as far as allowing access to the digital photos of licensees. Sorry, I'm not interested in participating in that nonsense.

I've already had one TSA fight which resulted in my old license information being copied, and I have no interest in allowing this data to be floating around with sufficient identifying information where someone can begin reconstructing my identity.

If someone took my license right now and tried to reconstruct my identity to steal it, they wouldn't get far - all my credit and employment information is pegged to the Florida address where I live. If a thief tried to get database access and use my name and license address to pull more information and apply for credit, they wouldn't get far...none of my creditors is aware of me living in a mailbox rental shop.

I've already coached a few FT'ers on how to do this for their own piece of mind. An added bonus, is as a frequent Hawai'i visitor, I get the benefit of Kama'aina prices, priority and friendliness while on the Islands.

Identity theft is not a matter of 'if' - it's a matter of 'when'. I've already been through someone creating an identity out of my middle and last names and address, and apply for credit using someone else's social security card. I had zero liability from that mess, but the next time it might hit closer to home.
Old May 10, 09, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I've already coached a few FT'ers on how to do this for their own piece of mind. An added bonus, is as a frequent Hawai'i visitor, I get the benefit of Kama'aina prices, priority and friendliness while on the Islands.
Is there a link anyplace? Is there some loophole which gets you a HI DL without residency?

Search this Thread

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: