BP check at WTMD disappearing?

Old May 3, 2009, 6:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: US former CP Looking for a new airline to love me
BP check at WTMD disappearing?

I've posted on here before about how 2 airports I frequent, MCO and BUF, opposite of TPA, JAX, SYR and ROC performed the ID check only at the "TDC" station and didn't (usually didn't in the case of MCO) bother with the annoying recheck of the BP at the WTMD. Some of the TSO's that post on here have stated that this silliness is intended to stop SSSS pax going unnoticed at "TDC", getting to the gate without the special scribble on their BP, and so necessitating a visit to the gate by a travelling team of TSA gropers to clear the SSSS pax to fly. (This result, of course, was always highly dependent on the GA's level of paranoia, or belief in the SSSS part of the script for the circus.)

When I went through ROC the other night there was no second check of the BP at the WTMD. I was able to get a supervisor to confirm that this is due to the new rarity of SSSS, and is now SOP for ROC.

Anyone else seen this interesting reversal of TSA annoyance, (the first after de-nutting the SSSS program, a particular positive for interlines, that I recall in a long time)?

(It is helpful to know in advance, as much as feasible, given the predictable unpredicatability mantra of the circus, if the BP has to be produced for a second check at a specific airport).
Old May 3, 2009, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
I haven't been harassed by a moat dragon for ID in ages. At least IME, that's been the exception not the rule.

BP checks usually happen to make sure selectees get their due haraSSSSment, but that's it.
Old May 3, 2009, 8:19 am

I'm confused...were they actually asking for ID (license, passport, etc) at the WTMD or just the BP?

We have threads about how the BP checks are decreasing at WTMDs, but the only place i've seen an ID check at the WTMD was the lane next to the lane I went through at DFW wanted ID at the WTMD also.
Old May 3, 2009, 8:36 am

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
sees to vary by airport. At IAH I haven't had the boarding pass checked in years (at any of the checkpoints) but recently at DSM and IND I did but haven't in the past, and at MCO they always check. I feel safer already...

Ciao,
FH
Old May 3, 2009, 9:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: US former CP Looking for a new airline to love me
Originally Posted by gj83
I'm confused...were they actually asking for ID (license, passport, etc) at the WTMD or just the BP?

We have threads about how the BP checks are decreasing at WTMDs, but the only place i've seen an ID check at the WTMD was the lane next to the lane I went through at DFW wanted ID at the WTMD also.
Never seen ID asked for at the WTMD, obviously I mistitled the post, . but haven't seen any threads on here about BP checks decreasing either.
(I'm referring to the act where the moat dragon has to see the BP to ensure that it has a TSA scribble on it from the TDC just 20' away, and also confirms it's not a previously unrecognized SSSS.)
Old May 3, 2009, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
Originally Posted by NY-FLA
Some of the TSO's that post on here have stated that this silliness is intended to stop SSSS pax going unnoticed at "TDC "
I'll bite, and re-ask the resident TSO's to explain this. (Be sure to use an answer worthy of PV. )

IF the highly qualified and highly trained TDC cannot be trusted to find a standard SSSS notation printed on standard locations on BP's, then how can they be trusted to match random combinations of BP, ID and Pax Face to provide "ID = Security™" and ensure that OBL does not limp to the WTMD with a proper highlighter scribbled BP?

Please don't let the answer be "Standard Government Make-Work Program, we have to have one employee double check the work of every other employee, on the theory that 'two incompetent employees might = one competent employee'."

If the BP check is so vital to security that it must be double checked by a second TSO, I submit that all TSA operations need to be done twice. What if the Hand Wander misses a gun? Better have a second TSO hand wand every selectee in case the first TSO failed in his duty, after all, you can't trust your own last guy. You may use this as an employee suggestion. I'm sure you will win a prize when it is adopted.
Old May 4, 2009, 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by Flaflyer
I'll bite, and re-ask the resident TSO's to explain this. (Be sure to use an answer worthy of PV. )
I can sure give it a try.

There has been no change in the SOP concerning this.

IF the highly qualified and highly trained TDC cannot be trusted to find a standard SSSS notation printed on standard locations on BP's, then how can they be trusted to match random combinations of BP, ID and Pax Face to provide "ID = Security™" and ensure that OBL does not limp to the WTMD with a proper highlighter scribbled BP?
Some airports have dedicated selectee lanes and those passengers are usually directed to those lanes as needed. Other passengers are sent to the normal lines where additional screening is not required. So, there would be no need for the WTMD TSO to have to view the boarding pass if they are not in the selectee lane.

Please don't let the answer be "Standard Government Make-Work Program, we have to have one employee double check the work of every other employee, on the theory that 'two incompetent employees might = one competent employee'."

If the BP check is so vital to security that it must be double checked by a second TSO, I submit that all TSA operations need to be done twice. What if the Hand Wander misses a gun? Better have a second TSO hand wand every selectee in case the first TSO failed in his duty, after all, you can't trust your own last guy. You may use this as an employee suggestion. I'm sure you will win a prize when it is adopted.
I hope I was able to assist, in some small way. 
Old May 4, 2009, 12:39 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, TSA Disparager Gold, going for Platnium
Ron considering your penchant for BS/Wrong info you really sure about that?

cause the only terrorists i see at the airport looks like smurfs

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.