Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

PV Alert: Can I Take Photos at the Checkpoint and Airport?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

PV Alert: Can I Take Photos at the Checkpoint and Airport?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2009, 3:57 am

TSA re: airport photography policies: Orlando International (MCO)

Date: Wed, 8 Apr 2009 10:41:18 -0400
Subject: RE: Got Feedback : Orlando International (MCO)
To: Phil Mocek

Dear Mr. Mocek,

Photography is fine throughout most of Orlando International Airport. If there are concerns, signs will usually be posted in those areas. People take pictures all of the time here.

The areas of concern that TSA has is photographing specific equipment or operations. You may be asked not to take pictures of those areas. If you wish to photograph our Officers, you may ask them for permission. Many times it's not security issues, but camera-shyness.

The traveling public takes pictures around, before, inside and after the Security Checkpoints on a daily basis. I do not believe you will have any problems.

Thank you,

William A. Kretchik
Program Assistant
TSA Orlando (MCO) Customer Support
Phone: 407-563-4074
Date: Wed, 8 Apr 2009 07:57:33 -0700
Subject: Re: Got Feedback : Orlando International (MCO)
To: William Kretchik - TSA <WILLIAM.Kretchik%AT%dhs.gov>
Cc: GotFeedback <Gotfeedback%AT%dhs.gov>

Thank you for your response, Mr. Kretchik.

I'm not particularly interested in whether there will be "concerns", I'm interested in the law. I understand that at any time I *may* be asked to do anything, but I'm interested in what I *will* be asked to do, and more specifically, in what I am *required* to do. I need to know what the law requires of me so that I can ensure my compliance.

Bob Burns at TSA has published on March 31, 2009, that TSA places no restriction on photography or video recording in airports unless the activity interferes with TSA operations [1]. On that date, he also wrote that TSA discourages (but does not prohibit) photography of computer monitors at TSA search stations. Additionally, he wrote, "while the TSA does not prohibit photographs at screening locations, local laws, state statutes, or local ordinances might. Your best bet is to call ahead and see what that specific airport's policy is. I suggest you use the Got Feedback program to directly contact the Customer Support Manager at the airport you're going to be traveling through. They will have an answer for you and if they don't, they can connect you with somebody who does."

I took his suggestion and contacted TSA via the TSA "Got Feedback?" form. You replied via e-mail. You did not refute Mr. Burns' claim (in fact, you confirmed that TSA simply *asks* people not to photograph certain equipment), and you did not mention any applicable laws, statutes, or local ordinances.

Do you have any local TSA policies at Orlando International which supersede those described by Mr. Burns? Are you aware of any applicable local laws, state statutes, or local ordinances?

Thank you for your continued assistance.

References:

[1]: <http://www.tsa.gov/blog/2009/03/can-i-take-photos-at-checkpoint-and.html>

--
Phil Mocek
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2009 09:13:23 -0700
Subject: Re: Got Feedback : Orlando International (MCO)
To: William Kretchik - TSA <WILLIAM.Kretchik%AT%dhs.gov>
Cc: GotFeedback <Gotfeedback%AT%dhs.gov>

I have received no further contact from you. Are you able to provide the information I have requested?

--
Phil Mocek
Old Apr 27, 2009, 8:36 pm

While waiting at AUS yesterday, I decided to shoot some pictures outside of the checkpoint. I am happy report that no one approached me about taking pictures, but it nevertheless became a strange experience. From where I was standing, one of the x-ray monitors was completely visible and the other was partially visible. I specifically decided at that point to not have the monitors visible in any shots.

I then noticed two TSO's walk up to the visible monitor and place themselves between me and the monitor. Eventually one left, but the other had a piece of cardboard to try to block the view (which was rather funny as it was totally ineffective). At one point they tried to put a three sided screen on the monitor, but failed in that endeavor. So for the rest of the time I was standing there, we had one TSO doing nothing but trying to block my view with her body and a piece of cardboard. Your tax dollars at work.

Lest you think that the TSA fixed the situation, this evening I went by the checkpoint and the monitor was there in full view for all to see.

BTW, while I was standing there, three TSO's walked directly through and past the checkpoint with backpacks on without being screened in the least.
Old Apr 27, 2009, 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by ND Sol

BTW, while I was standing there, three TSO's walked directly through and past the checkpoint with backpacks on without being screened in the least.
That is what you need to get pictures of.
Old Apr 27, 2009, 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by Trollkiller
That is what you need to get pictures of.
What makes you think I didn't?
Old Apr 27, 2009, 9:53 pm

Post them, if you need a space let me know.

Maybe I need to make a "photos from the field" page on my blog. All of my traveling friends could post photos of various checkpoints with a little blurb about how they were treated and what silliness they saw.

What do you think?
Old Apr 27, 2009, 10:17 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat
This is truly pathetic. One would think that if TSA is going to tell people to use Get Feedback, that they would prepare the CSQIMs for the question.

And what's with the 50% response rate? I'm tempted to file a FOIA request for stats on this.
Old Apr 27, 2009, 10:37 pm

Originally Posted by amejr999
This is truly pathetic. One would think that if TSA is going to tell people to use Get Feedback, that they would prepare the CSQIMs for the question.

And what's with the 50% response rate? I'm tempted to file a FOIA request for stats on this.
Good luck with that. I am still waiting on two FOIA request from Sept. One was to find out what happened with a complaint I filed over the summer. Heck I even gave them thier own control number for the complaint.
Old Apr 28, 2009, 9:45 am
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
At several airports (SNA and SFO come to mind) the people carrying firearms (pilots, FAMs, etc.) present themselves at entrances which are immediately adjacent to the screening and which are 100% viewable by the public. I suspect that if you stood there and took pictures of the people arriving through those entrances (at which there is no TSA equipment other than an "officer") you would draw quick attention.
Old May 6, 2009, 5:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I had no problems snapping this one in FLL a couple weeks ago. Glad to see that the LEOs are working so hard there....

Old May 6, 2009, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Originally Posted by sbm12
I had no problems snapping this one in FLL a couple weeks ago. Glad to see that the LEOs are working so hard there....
I was just on DenverPost.com a few moments ago looking at a story. That LEO is playing one of the online games at that site.
Old May 6, 2009, 6:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by N965VJ
I was just on DenverPost.com a few moments ago looking at a story. That LEO is playing one of the online games at that site.
Yeah...sudoku. I figured just about everyone would recognize that from the layout of the "board" in the image.
Old May 6, 2009, 7:00 pm

TK has put up one of the pics and a good essay at his blog.
Old May 6, 2009, 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by sbm12

To be fair he is only there in case a TSO over-reacts to a pile of cash.
Old May 6, 2009, 7:46 pm

TK has put up one of the pics and a good essay at his blog.
Thanks for the compliment and the plug.
Old May 11, 2009, 4:34 pm

Programs: QF Plat - OW EMD | DL Gold / Starwood Gold
ISP

Was at ISP earlier today.

Large signs at the checkpoint: No Photography.

New York State Law? County Law? Voodoo Law/Policy?

I don't recall seeing those signs at JFK (was there just a few days ago), or LGA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.