Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

am I allowed to refuse pat-downs by TSA officers of the same sex?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2009, 11:09 pm
Original Poster

for reasons that I will not go into here, I have never felt comfortable
getting a pat-down by someone of the same sex as me. in fact, it is
extremely disturbing to me. but I have never had the courage to say
anything. Instead, I just accepted it as a necessary evil of air travel.

are there others who feel the same way?
Old Mar 7, 2009, 11:42 pm

Programs: DL, WN, AA
No

No you may not refuse. Except in an extraordinary circumstance where a person of the same gender is absolutely not available, you will always be screened by someone of the same gender. Opposite gender screening opens TSA and the TSO up to sexual harassment issues more so than a same gender screening would.
Old Mar 8, 2009, 1:16 am

Only if you present yourself as the gender of the individual who you would like to pat you down. If you want a female to pat you down you have to dress in drag and carry yourself as a female. Its not worth it if you ask me.
Old Mar 8, 2009, 7:02 am

Originally Posted by PHLJJS
No you may not refuse. Except in an extraordinary circumstance where a person of the same gender is absolutely not available, you will always be screened by someone of the same gender. Opposite gender screening opens TSA and the TSO up to sexual harassment issues more so than a same gender screening would.
The subject of this thread talks about same sex and you say the same gender. As my genderqueer friends point out, those two are very different. Which does the rule say?

If gender, the only way to know is to ask. If sex, what's the precise definition used? How do you handle trans people, both pre-op and post-op?

Again, as my genderqueer friends would say, "this rule represents very gender-binary thinking".
Old Mar 8, 2009, 7:58 am

Programs: DL, WN, AA
Originally Posted by RichardKenner
The subject of this thread talks about same sex and you say the same gender. As my genderqueer friends point out, those two are very different. Which does the rule say?

If gender, the only way to know is to ask. If sex, what's the precise definition used? How do you handle trans people, both pre-op and post-op?

Again, as my genderqueer friends would say, "this rule represents very gender-binary thinking".
The SOP uses the term same gender to mean male on male, female on female. It also states that transgender passengers are to be screened an officer of the gender that they present themselves to be. I.E. If you are a male and present yourself as a female, then you are screened by a female.
Old Mar 8, 2009, 8:14 am

Originally Posted by PHLJJS
The SOP uses the term same gender to mean male on male, female on female. It also states that transgender passengers are to be screened an officer of the gender that they present themselves to be. I.E. If you are a male and present yourself as a female, then you are screened by a female.
What about genderqueer? Many genderqueer people do not identify as either standard gender and would consider it quote offensive and discriminatory for them to be forced to choose. And what does it mean to "present" as a particular gender? Do you go by biological appearance? Clothing style? Hairstyle? Or what?
Old Mar 8, 2009, 11:03 am

What about genderqueer? Many genderqueer people do not identify as either standard gender and would consider it quote offensive and discriminatory for them to be forced to choose. And what does it mean to "present" as a particular gender? Do you go by biological appearance? Clothing style? Hairstyle? Or what?
As much as a small minority are trying to create a unique identity the simplest solution is physical. Men have an Adams's apple in their throat, women do not. If not then the plumbing dictates who get searched by, women get searched by women and men by men.

Last edited by magellan315; Mar 8, 2009 at 12:18 pm
Old Mar 8, 2009, 11:26 am

Are you in line at an American airport?

You are at the mercy of the TSA, and it is all legal.

Bend over, shut up, and keep lining up for more, if you think it wise. I find the reports from folks such as yourself rather amusing.

MY mother never raised such a foolish child...
Old Mar 9, 2009, 7:02 am

Originally Posted by magellan315
As much as a small minority are trying to create a unique identity the simplest solution is physical. Men have an Adams's apple in their throat, women do not. If not then the plumbing dictates who get searched by, women get searched by women and men by men.
If I'm midswallow, and I hold it, I can hide my Adam's apple (kind of). So, how exactly are they going to check my plumbing?

Additionally, why is it that only male-female or female-male screening is open to sexual harassment? Can men not be harassed by other men or women by women? If the intent is to avoid sexual situations, what about the hommersexuals? I mean, wouldn't it be inappropriate for a gay dude to get his jollies from a male screener in the same way that someone straight would get their jollies from a woman?

Or, as I have been informed in government administered sexual harrassment training - is it that hommersexuality is doesn't exist.
Old Mar 9, 2009, 11:01 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak
Originally Posted by Roy2CDG
You may refuse, but they will probably prevent you from passing through security and thus boarding your flight.
Old Mar 9, 2009, 11:23 am

I'm sure that sexual harrassment suits can be alleged against officers of the same gender, but it would be less likely to occur when compared to being screened by the opposite gender.

Typically, the phrase "How the passenger presents his/her self" is taken by visual means, referencing appearance and body language. I have seen instances where we have been incorrect in our judgement. Many times, you can't go by reading their names on their boarding cards, because many names can be used by both sexes. You make the best judgement call you can. Normally, what I'd do is ask for their license when presenting their baording card and read what gender is listed on the license. If I'm wrong, then I promptly report it to management. Hasn't failed me, yet.....

Everyone has the right to refuse being screened by an officer of the same gender. The only drawback is that you will not be allowed to proceed into the sterile area. Depending on the situation, it may result in LEO intervention.
Old Mar 9, 2009, 12:57 pm

You could always dress and act like "Pat", the SNL character, and try to get them to ask you your gender. I guess having "M" or "F" on your drivers license might nullify that.
Old Mar 9, 2009, 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by Citabria
You could always dress and act like "Pat", the SNL character, and try to get them to ask you your gender. I guess having "M" or "F" on your drivers license might nullify that.
True.

Can't win them all, I guess!
Old Mar 9, 2009, 6:53 pm

Programs: CO PLT, HH DIA
Originally Posted by Roy2CDG

for reasons that I will not go into here, I have never felt comfortable
getting a pat-down by someone of the same sex as me. in fact, it is
extremely disturbing to me. but I have never had the courage to say
anything. Instead, I just accepted it as a necessary evil of air travel.

are there others who feel the same way?
I have been fairly BEGGING for a female pat-down and they keep refusing.

--PP
Old Mar 9, 2009, 7:15 pm

Dear god, some people are just pains in the ... no matter what.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.