Wiki Posts
Search

Another Razor Blade in Shoe Story

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2009, 12:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Hertz PC, AMEX PLAT
Another Razor Blade in Shoe Story

Just heard a story on the radio, while driving, that TSA has found another case of somebody trying to hide a couple of razor blades under the gel inserts of their shoes. I'll research it when I get to a computer. The story continued on to say that the individual had been turned over to law enforcement authorities a witness had heard the individual mention that he frequently "tested" airport security. The reporter was clear to state that the authorities did not believe that the individual was linked in any way to terrorism.

Stories like this really tick me off because this idiot is just giving TSA stats to continue the entire shoe carnival.
Old Mar 5, 2009, 12:17 pm

Part of the problem is people trying to get one over on TSA. Like the fool who challenged the no ID think on Homeland Security USA.
Old Mar 5, 2009, 12:30 pm

Forgive me the obvious question, but how again is a razor blade a threat to aviation now that cockpit doors are secure?
Old Mar 5, 2009, 12:42 pm

Programs: UA 1P
Not to mention wouldn't it set off the WTMD if your shoes were on?
Old Mar 5, 2009, 12:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BubbaLoop
Forgive me the obvious question, but how again is a razor blade a threat to aviation now that cockpit doors are secure?
ummm...a razor blade in and of itself may not cut through a secure cockpit door. However as part of a takeover scheme it may play a significant roll in slicing your trachea as an individual tries to demonstrate who is in control of the cabin.

Maybe your question was a trick question. Or maybe you honestly think that a potential terrorist would conduct a modern day hijacking with one implement tucked in his shoes. Maybe you cannot see the uses for a razor blade in dominating an aircraft at 30,000 ft. But to dismiss the confiscating of one as inconsiquential to aviation safety is sophomoric.

The blame here for these woes falls squarely on the shoulders of this idiot trying to one up the TSA. Do you think that the TSA agent that caught this idiot is now cheerily searching the ensuing pax with the pleases and thank you's we all seem to cherrish or is he a little more jaded that idiots are trying to test him with 3.9 oz tubes of toothpaste or credit card knives tucked into their laptops?
Old Mar 5, 2009, 12:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by crwilsn
Some WTMD's do not have detection fields that reliably extend to the floor. Hence the removal of shoes. Also, if it had set the alarm off which it very well may have, we would be right where we are now with the blade detected in the X-ray. This idiot was wrong and only feeding into the TSA stats on why we should be treated like sheep.
Old Mar 5, 2009, 1:04 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by Paolo01
Just heard a story on the radio, while driving, that TSA has found another case of somebody trying to hide a couple of razor blades under the gel inserts of their shoes. I'll research it when I get to a computer. The story continued on to say that the individual had been turned over to law enforcement authorities a witness had heard the individual mention that he frequently "tested" airport security. The reporter was clear to state that the authorities did not believe that the individual was linked in any way to terrorism.

Stories like this really tick me off because this idiot is just giving TSA stats to continue the entire shoe carnival.
emphasis mine: i'm screwed

Originally Posted by crwilsn
Some WTMD's do not have detection fields that reliably extend to the floor. Hence the removal of shoes. Also, if it had set the alarm off which it very well may have, we would be right where we are now with the blade detected in the X-ray. This idiot was wrong and only feeding into the TSA stats on why we should be treated like sheep.
it's a sensitivity setting and certain items (let alone those that afaic, the wtmd will not detect like brass*) are simply just too small to be detected yet a hhmd will pick it up**

*my brass belt buckle in the shape of a lion has never ever set off the wtmd and continues to amaze the screeners that it doesn't.

**did not alarm at las but since i am the "newly screwed" (see above ) orthopedic 'n orthotic ter'wrist, i was getting my SSSSecondary and the hhmd picked up a nickel which was still in my pocket which i missed when putting my loose change in the bin.
Old Mar 5, 2009, 1:42 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, HHonors Diamond
Honest question. Is it illegal to carry on razor blades? I know it is legal to carry on my Gillette Sensor razor blades, but what about the traditional razor blades?

Second question, IF it is legal to carry something on, would it be illegal to hide in in your shoe, as opposed to putting it in your bag. For example, nail clippers are legal to carry on. I carry one in my bag, and there is never a problem. Besides creating some suspicion, what if I carved out a pocket in my shoe and carried it on that way? Would that be a problem?
Old Mar 5, 2009, 1:45 pm

ummm...a razor blade in and of itself may not cut through a secure cockpit door. However as part of a takeover scheme it may play a significant roll in slicing your trachea as an individual tries to demonstrate who is in control of the cabin.

Maybe your question was a trick question. Or maybe you honestly think that a potential terrorist would conduct a modern day hijacking with one implement tucked in his shoes. Maybe you cannot see the uses for a razor blade in dominating an aircraft at 30,000 ft. But to dismiss the confiscating of one as inconsiquential to aviation safety is sophomoric.
Paolo,

I completely disagree with you. No one can take down an airplane with a blade today - cockpits are secure and passengers have learned to fight back. There is absolutely no reason to focus on blades. Plus, anyone can easily fashion a trachea-slicing implement from objects allowed on planes and sterile areas. You can also easily slice throats with special kinds of string, which the TSA does not check for. The TSA should not focus on weapons that can harm individuals. It is simply not cost effective, beside the obvious fact that there is no reason why I should be safer from having my trachea sliced on an airplane than in the rest of the country. The TSA should focus on threats to masses of people.

And it should also focus on real threats, not shoes or liquids or laptops. If the current MTMDs don't detect metal in shoes, improve them, make people step up a ramp, find a solution that does not bother the honest traveler. Don't make everyone take off their shoes. It is a distraction from finding real threats.
Old Mar 5, 2009, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Paolo,

I completely disagree with you. No one can take down an airplane with a blade today - cockpits are secure and passengers have learned to fight back. There is absolutely no reason to focus on blades. Plus, anyone can easily fashion a trachea-slicing implement from objects allowed on planes and sterile areas. You can also easily slice throats with special kinds of string, which the TSA does not check for. The TSA should not focus on weapons that can harm individuals. It is simply not cost effective, beside the obvious fact that there is no reason why I should be safer from having my trachea sliced on an airplane than in the rest of the country. The TSA should focus on threats to masses of people.

And it should also focus on real threats, not shoes or liquids or laptops. If the current MTMDs don't detect metal in shoes, improve them, make people step up a ramp, find a solution that does not bother the honest traveler. Don't make everyone take off their shoes. It is a distraction from finding real threats.

Agree, a guitar G string and two ink pens would make a fine weapon. Each item is allowed. A Bic stick pen itself would make a fine weapon. A rat tail comb comes to mind as a stabbing weapon.

I'm sure many others exist from very common items.
Old Mar 5, 2009, 2:27 pm
Original Poster

Paolo,

Roger. Your method is one way of dealing with a threat.
Old Mar 5, 2009, 2:39 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Dia, SPG Gold, MR Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by cparekh
Honest question. Is it illegal to carry on razor blades? I know it is legal to carry on my Gillette Sensor razor blades, but what about the traditional razor blades?
Per the TSA Prohibited Items list, the only Razor Blades that are permitted are those in cartridge or safety forms.
Old Mar 5, 2009, 4:16 pm

Programs: US/*A, Marriott, ICH, Budget, Avis
Consider the knife that one cuts ones meat with or the remnants of a wine bottle.
Old Mar 5, 2009, 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by Centurion210
Part of the problem is people trying to get one over on TSA. Like the fool who challenged the no ID think on Homeland Security USA.
And what did he do that was illegal or prohibited?
Old Mar 5, 2009, 6:34 pm

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
The ter'wrist can shave off that long straggly beard so they don't look like (the Kettle's stereotype of) a ter'wrist anymore??

No, seriously, I agree with you. A broken wine bottle is just as sharp and easier to hold.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.