Liquid restrictions being relaxed?

Old Feb 20, 2009, 5:20 pm

Maybe the screeners can tell if your liquids are within the size limit by viewing the x-ray image. Seems like they are gunning for larger bottles.
Old Feb 23, 2009, 8:11 am

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
Regardless of airport, I haven't bothered to take my Hawley Bag out of my notebook case at least 50% of the time for a year or two. I've never had it come back, and this is an assortment of airports - IAD, RDU, CHA, LAS, ORD, GSO, CHS, FLL, MIA, JAX, TPA, SJC, SFO, OAK, SAN, so on and so forth.
Old Feb 23, 2009, 8:45 am

Programs: DL Gold, Starwood Gold
I have, either accidentally or out of curiosity, not removed my baggie and had it mentioned only about one time out of 10. For me, it seems the smaller airports are more over-staffed, and the more bored the TSA folks are, the more likely they are to take stuff (had two slightly-oversized, yet unopened bottles of massage oil confiscated on a flight from KOA-HNL, what a ridiculous waste). The ignoring (or missing) of liquids in luggage has happened over the course of the past 2 years, so I don't think it's recent (at least not for me).
Old Feb 24, 2009, 1:19 am

Programs: too many of the few that are left
At PDX the A/B/C checkpoint now has a stainless-steel sink mounted in a pedestal, with a sign inviting passengers to dump liquids into it before proceeding through the cp. It has been "out of order" then returned several times in the past two months. (Internal damage from exploding shampoo perhaps? )

Last week, CATSA x-ray revealed a 75-ml lotion that had escaped through a split seam in my Kippie bag. Bag search called. TSO went directly for the offending item without disturbing anything else, examined it briefly, politely said "Let me just put this in a plastic bag for you," zipped it into a shiny new official CATSA polyethylene bag (imprinted both sides in French and English, I'd guess about 3˘ per ea), and wished me a good flight. Not only were all the fine people on my flight protected from evil-intentioned hand lotion, it couldn't even leak on my electronics!

I believe they know the liquid-bomb hypothesis has been well discredited, but having established the policy, dare not eliminate it for fear of looking, erm, silly.
Old Feb 28, 2009, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
At SEA recently after my bin came out of x-ray I was told my Kippie Bag was to be "randomly" swabbed. I tried to ask why a bottle of water couldn't be swabbed and allowed after passing, but she side-stepped the issue, emphasizing that I had been selected at random.
Old Feb 28, 2009, 9:25 pm
In memoriam

Programs: UA GS/1K/2MM, HH Diamond, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by squarevince
My apologies if this isn't the right place to post - but I searched and didn't find anything...

I've noticed that the last 3 times I've flown domestically on AA (out of BOS & SFO), I've repeatedly forgotten to take out my "clear plastic bag" full of liquids from out of my carry-on. Once, I remembered as they had to rescan my bag & I told the TSA agent "oops sorry I forgot to take out liquids" and he said, "oh don't worry about it, it's not a problem". The other two times it passed scan without mention.

I've also noticed that no one is busy telling everyone in the busy pre-screen area that they've got to remove liquids from their carry-on.

I've read elsewhere that the TSA is going to be loosening rules... but there is no indication that they've been loosened, either on the AA website or the TSA website.

Anyone else have this experience?
They maybe relaxing the restrictions but they need to be consistent. I have been flying for years with tooth PASTE (NOT GEL) in my carry on and not in my 1-quart bag with no problem. This morning in SAN the screener pulled my bag off the line and confiscated a 4oz tube of tooth PASTE in my bag. He told me anything in a squeeze container of over 3.2oz was a no.no! I wish the TSA would get their act and signs together. In other countrys they specifically state no Pastes on the boards?????

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.