Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Are TSA agents equal to Law Enforcement Officers?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2009, 7:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Platinum for Life.

I had a good chuckle after talking with a TSA agent in FLL the other day. She actually equated herself to a law enforcement officer.

Are they equal to police?
Old Feb 4, 2009, 7:17 pm

I am one, and even I would be rolling my eyes and shaking my head to her stupid comment, along with putting as much room between me and her before the insults started to fly.
Old Feb 4, 2009, 7:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by trvlr64
I had a good chuckle after talking with a TSA agent in FLL the other day. She actually equated herself to a law enforcement officer.
Of course she did. She has a badge, so she must be a Real Law Enforcement Officer!
Old Feb 4, 2009, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/Marriott Plat/Hertz PC
They have less enforcement power than mall security guards.
Old Feb 4, 2009, 7:29 pm

No, not equal to police. Not even close.
Old Feb 4, 2009, 7:30 pm

Not only no but frack no. I would have not turned down the opportunity to show her the error of her thinking within a microsecond.
Old Feb 4, 2009, 7:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hertz PC, AMEX PLAT
Originally Posted by whirledtraveler
They have less enforcement power than mall security guards.
I know that we are all chuckling right now but remember that TSA now includes FAM's who are in fact LEO's.
Old Feb 4, 2009, 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by Paolo01
I know that we are all chuckling right now but remember that TSA now includes Federal Flight Deck Officers (FAM's) who are in fact LEO's.
Incorrect. Federal Flight Deck Officers are not Federal Air Marshals, they authorized to carry issued firearms but are not trained Federal law enforcement officers. But the issue was a TSA screener with a dark blue uniform shirt and a gold badge that says "officer". I would have verbally eviscerated her.

And yes I did have Federal law enforcement credentials from 1979 to 1982 while in the US Coast Guard. I probably did more arrests and filed more cases than she has lately.
Old Feb 4, 2009, 7:36 pm

Programs: CO Platinum HHonors Diamond Avis President's Club
TSOs are glorified rent-a-cops and have no LEO powers whatsoever. They can't arrest you and I don't think they can detain you -- they can just call over a real cop for any of that. They pretty much have to call a real cop over for anything as far as I know, but I'm sure other FTers who know more/better can correct me.

I have a buddy who is a cop in Philly. He said that a TSO tried to show his "badge" when he got pulled over. This was before the recent tin badges came out. The TSO actually took the cloth TSA badge and put it in his wallet to 'flash'. It was the best laugh they had down at the precinct in a while.

peace,
~Ben~

PS> Obviously, this statement excludes FAMS and, perhaps, some bomb sniffin' dogs...

Originally Posted by knotyeagle
And Federal Air Marshals. But the issue was a TSA screener with a dark blue uniform shirt and a gold badge that says "officer". I would have verbally eviscerated her.

And yes I did have Federal law enforcement credentials from 1979 to 1982 while in the US Coast Guard. I probably did more arrests and filed more cases than she has lately.
Yes, you are correct. I just think that we should be clear that there are in fact LEO's within the TSA.
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
not only no but frack no. I would have not turned down the opportunity to show her the error of her thinking within a microsecond.
agreed. I'd get a real LEO and ask them to explain the difference to the misguided fool. Isn't impersonating a LEO a federal or at least state offense?

Last edited by GoingAway; Feb 4, 2009 at 7:42 pm
Old Feb 4, 2009, 7:42 pm

Incorrect. Federal Flight Deck Officers are not Federal Air Marshals, they authorized to carry issued firearms but are not trained Federal law enforcement officers. But the issue was a TSA screener with a dark blue uniform shirt and a gold badge that says "officer". I would have verbally eviscerated her.

I edited because I realized I had an equals sign in there pretty much which they are not, but on the plane they (Federal Flight Deck Officers) are Marshals and on the plane only. You got to this before I edited it.
Old Feb 4, 2009, 7:48 pm

Programs: US Plat, DL Gold, WN when needed, PC Plat, SPG Gold, National Exec
Yeah, they are cops like garbage men are sanitation engineers.
Old Feb 4, 2009, 7:50 pm

Programs: SWA EMP (the ultimate program)
The bottom level TSO's are peons. They hire these guys off the street with no qualifications to speak of. They are hired, probably get a couple weeks of classroom training, and are put out to work. At some point I think someone must be blowing some smoke up their rear ends trying to give them an inflated sense of self importance. Just their title, TSO (Transportation Safety Officer?). I would not doubt it if some of them let it go to their heads and they like to pretend that they are on the same playing field as cops. In reality, they're SOO not anything like cops.

In my spare time I fiddle around with radio equipment of various types and use ham radios. In my hobby, we have a community of people that we refer to as "whackers". They earn this distinction by driving second hand crown vics, adding on official looking lights, and overall trying to exude to impression of being some sort of official figure. I've even heard of extreme cases where a group of them will get together and form an organization and drive around trying to conduct semi official police business. You can lookup a group called "react". They serve no other purpose than to drive around saving the world with their ham radios. It's an overall dork fest.

Whether we're talking about radio nerds, renta cops, or TSA. We refer to these types as "whackers".
Old Feb 4, 2009, 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by num1bearsfan
In my spare time I fiddle around with radio equipment of various types and use ham radios. In my hobby, we have a community of people that we refer to as "whackers". They earn this distinction by driving second hand crown vics, adding on official looking lights, and overall trying to exude to impression of being some sort of official figure. I've even heard of extreme cases where a group of them will get together and form an organization and drive around trying to conduct semi official police business. You can lookup a group called "react". They serve no other purpose than to drive around saving the world with their ham radios. It's an overall dork fest.

Whether we're talking about radio nerds, renta cops, or TSA. We refer to these types as "whackers".
I'll think twice about ever making fun of another TSA now

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.