Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dear Janet (Napolitano):

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2009, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Originally Posted by iCorpRoadie
so what is her email addy? why waste paper when we can all copy/past into an email to her.
Try [email protected]. If it doesn't work, try adding her middle initial: [email protected]
Old Jan 29, 2009, 9:19 am

Programs: Delta DM
Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Try [email protected]. If it doesn't work, try adding her middle initial: [email protected]
tried those, got an undeliverable.
Old Jan 29, 2009, 12:39 pm

Programs: AA Ex Platinum & 1MM, DL PLT, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by oneofthosepeopleyouloveto hate
Dear Janet,

While you're at it, is there any way TSA could find some money in its budget to buy a few boxes of Kleenex for the checkpoints? I think I'm allergic to people; they make me sneeze. And if I stash enough Kleenex in my pockets at the outset to get through my entire shift, I feel like a freaking chipmunk! It's no fun blowing your nose on paper towels, and we seldom have time to run to the john for a handful of 'Kleenex on a roll' (toilet paper).

It's a small thing, I know, but it really would make me happy. Maybe even happier than the bonus, believe it or not! Please think about it, OK?

Yours truly,

OOTPYLTH
They sell those in neat little packages in the same shops we have to buy over priced water. Pick up one on your break or before you start your shift & replenish as needed-the store will be happy to sell you more, I promise.
Old Jan 30, 2009, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by N965VJ
You’re being facetious. I don’t know anybody in GA that thinks LASP is a good idea.

Unless all you plan to do is fly around the patch from your own strip, you’ll be affected as the costs and inconveniences filter down to every airport and FBO.
LASP is a bad idea and I know AOPA is fighting it every inch of the way as is NBAA. Both very formidable organizations.

But on the flip side, I don't see how I can be regulated on my private property.
Old Jan 30, 2009, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by seoulmanjr
Then why are you on FlyerTalk at all? In this thread and another you've said that you don't fly commercial, that no airlines serve your home airport, that there is no TSA where you fly from, and you don't go through these shenanigans for general aviation. So how is your opinion of the TSA's actual operational efficacy relevant? ICE/CBP != TSA

peace,
~Ben~
Because I do fly to international airports on my own from international locations.

And ICE, CBP, and TSA are different organizations. Don't try to lump them into the same categories.

Edited to add, I departed from McCarren airport in Vegas for my home a few years back after attending the Police Olympics in Henderson. Airport security was in evidence at Signature Flight Support where my 310 was tied down. Since I participated in the shooting events, I had several sniper rifles and a few handguns of various calibers. My plane was towed up front and since I had paid my bill, I walked to the doors leading to the ramp to stow my guns in my plane. Security stopped me and said I couldn't take those items onto the ramp. I asked why, was I going to hijack my own plane and fly it into the Luxor? He looked confused then got angry but by then the ramp personnel at Signature grabbed my guns and made for the plane. The ramp Sup apologized and said that apparently they were hiring anybody that could exhibit minimal signs of life.

Last edited by Centurion210; Jan 30, 2009 at 11:46 am
Old Feb 2, 2009, 9:51 am

Programs: CO Platinum HHonors Diamond Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by Centurion210
And ICE, CBP, and TSA are different organizations. Don't try to lump them into the same categories.
I wasn't lumping them together. "!=" is how you write "does not equal". ICE/CBP are real law enforcement with real training doing real security work. TSA is an embarrassing joke.

The point I was making was this: You said that you've done ICE/CBP work on the land borders. You've said that you don't fly commercial. So putting two and two together, you seemed to be critiquing other posters' opinions about the TSA ineptitude with no basis for defending the TSA or their methods. TSA falls flat on security theory frequently, but even when the theory is sound, they fall flat on implementation. Someone without exposure to the implementation who is only familiar with agencies that do well on both theory and implementation isn't in the best position to evaluate their efficacy.

I now see from the anecdote in your above post that you've also gotten to witness some of the unamerican stupidity first hand. Imagine flying commercial 40 times a year and having your constitutional rights and dignity trampled on in the name of security theater with little additional actual security achieved in exchange. It's a pretty bitter pill to swallow.

peace,
~Ben~

Last edited by seoulmanjr; Feb 2, 2009 at 9:59 am Reason: typos!
Old Feb 2, 2009, 4:44 pm

I wasn't lumping them together. "!=" is how you write "does not equal". ICE/CBP are real law enforcement with real training doing real security work. TSA is an embarrassing joke.
There is a real law enforcement component in TSA, believe it or not.
Old Feb 2, 2009, 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by law dawg
OK - I know I'm a sarcastic SOB, so I want to be clear that I'm puzzled and this is an honest-to-goodness question:

Where and what?

peace,
~Ben~
Old Feb 2, 2009, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
You mean, other than just playing pretend like TSO's do?
Old Feb 2, 2009, 5:28 pm

OK - I know I'm a sarcastic SOB, so I want to be clear that I'm puzzled and this is an honest-to-goodness question:

Where and what?

peace,
~Ben~
FAMS, TSA/OIG, and explosives canine division (I'm not 100% certain that they're LEOs but I'm fairly certain the dog handlers are. For sure the first two).
Old Feb 2, 2009, 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by Superguy
You mean, other than just playing pretend like TSO's do?
Old Feb 2, 2009, 5:35 pm

FAMS, TSA/OIG, and explosives canine division (I'm not 100% certain that they're LEOs but I'm fairly certain the dog handlers are. For sure the first two).
Fair enough. Too bad so little is being spent on FAMS and canine explosives detection and most of the money and focus is going to ineffectual theater (see how I worked that into conceding a point anyway? ). A question though, how is TSA/OIG law enforcement? I thought the DHS Office of the Inspector General was there to essentially review and critique sub-agencies like the TSA (and they've given them scathing reviews). DHS OIG isn't part of the TSA, right?

peace,
~ben~
Old Feb 2, 2009, 7:12 pm
Original Poster

Fair enough. Too bad so little is being spent on FAMS and canine explosives detection and most of the money and focus is going to ineffectual theater (see how I worked that into conceding a point anyway? ). ...
Your statement assumes that FAMs and canine explosives detection confer a benefit. Some may argue these programs are also ineffectual theater. I imagine, we'll continue to wait a long time until some real cost-effectiveness analysis identifies the cost of the FAM program, and others per lives saved or other similar metrics.
Old Feb 2, 2009, 7:24 pm

Except for Coke-ports

[QUOTE=eyecue;11131227]The issue is not volatility, no one is deprived they can buy products in the secured area at vendors shops.

Not true. I am deprived every time I must fly through or to an airport that is locked down by Coca Cola.
Old Feb 2, 2009, 8:00 pm

Fair enough. Too bad so little is being spent on FAMS and canine explosives detection and most of the money and focus is going to ineffectual theater (see how I worked that into conceding a point anyway? ). A question though, how is TSA/OIG law enforcement? I thought the DHS Office of the Inspector General was there to essentially review and critique sub-agencies like the TSA (and they've given them scathing reviews). DHS OIG isn't part of the TSA, right?

peace,
~ben~
OIG is there to investigate issues of ethical misconduct, criminal behavior, etc. from employees, so yeah, they're LE.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.