Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pasta is a liquid

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2009, 5:08 pm

I don't know whether to laugh or cry...

Some great responses in this thread, though. OP, good job getting the screener overruled on his... what's a polite word for "idiocy", again? "Pasta is a liquid."
Old Jan 18, 2009, 5:48 pm

Programs: DL MM Gold
Hehe. Didn't think the TSO would be familiar with the American Society for Testing and Materials or their pragmatic definition:

ASTM (1996) "D4359-90: Standard Test Method for Determining Whether a Material Is a Liquid or a Solid."
[excerpts]

In: ASTM "Annual Book of ASTM Standards", Section 6, Vol 6.01, pp. 500-501. American Society for Testing and Materials, West Conshohocken, PA. ISBN 0803122705 [Set] 0803123094 [Section] 0803123108 [Volume].

[...]

3. Summary of Test Method.

The material under test is held at 100deg.F (38deg.C) in a tightly closed can. The lid is removed and the can inverted. The flow of the material from the can is observed to determine whether it is a solid or a liquid.

[...]

5. Apparatus.

5.1. Can, quart (1L), friction top with lid, diameter approximately 4'1/4 in (108 mm) height 4'3/4 in (120 mm)

5.2. Oven, maintained at temperature of 100deg.F (38deg.C)

5.3. Tripod or ring stand

5.4. Watchglass, tared

5.5. Stopwatch

5.6. Ruler.

[...]

9. Interpretation of results.

9.1. A material that flows a total of 2 in (50 mm) or less within 3 min is considered a solid. Otherwise it is considered a liquid.
Old Jan 18, 2009, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Hey, gotta watch for stuff like this.

Uncooked lasagna could be broken into the shape of a knife.
Old Jan 19, 2009, 8:21 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by Trollkiller
You should have told him that the pasta was a fruit and its harvested from the spaghetti tree.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spaghetti_tree
Or that it was a religious item: http://www.venganza.org/
Old Jan 19, 2009, 9:24 pm

Programs: Metro/Subway transit card ;-)
I wonder if instant water is also a liquid?
Old Jan 19, 2009, 9:32 pm

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Originally Posted by Aubie_NoFlyNoMore
I wonder if instant water is also a liquid?
Dehydrated water would be considered a liquid. But dry white wine is not.
Old Jan 19, 2009, 9:32 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by goalie
sheesh, and here i was thinking that the brits were at least half on the ball when it came to security theatre.....
No.

These are the same group whose DfT (Department for Transport) decided that magical liquids could be brewed airside without a laboratory, who have set up a Shoe Carnival at LHR T3 (after WTMD + x-ray) and who allowed BAA to play all their little games like 1 tiny carryon, ridiculous prohibited items list, etc.

Sorry, for all my respect for the folks in the UK, none of it comes from their ability to do anything at all positive with regard to security.
Old Jan 19, 2009, 11:17 pm
KTW

The million dollar question is "would he have stood his ground knowing he was correct"? This assumes no friend of super or super said no.
Old Jan 19, 2009, 11:45 pm

Originally Posted by N965VJ

Yeah, but it's so brittle and weak that the minute you try to stab someone with it it'll be as dangerous as crushed oyster crackers in your soup. Or if it comes in contact with hot water, it'll be too mushy to stab anyone with it
Old Jan 19, 2009, 11:56 pm

Programs: AC E (depressed former SE), Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Snickers satisfies, but perhaps not everybody

Canadians aren't much better.

This past July, a screener at YUL asked a supervisor whether my mini (like the ones you get at Hallowe'en) Snickers bar in my carryon was considered a liquid.

And if that wasn't bad enough, the supervisor had to think about it for about 15 seconds.
Old Jan 20, 2009, 5:21 am

Programs: CO Platinum HHonors Diamond Avis President's Club
This is what happens when we use our airports as a jobs program for habitual paint huffers.

What if you put it in a blender?

peace,
~Ben~
Old Jan 20, 2009, 3:20 pm

Programs: I work for the TSA
This past July, a screener at YUL asked a supervisor whether my mini (like the ones you get at Hallowe'en) Snickers bar in my carryon was considered a liquid.
Was it very warm (i.e., in danger of melting)?

Hmm, now that I think about it, the filling in a Three Musketeers bar is suspiciously gel-like!
Old Jan 20, 2009, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

human feces, at least mine, on a bad day, can pass as liquid. if it is worth it to you to create the problems with TSA, i would gladly provide you with half a pound or so of my personal special product in an autographed plastic one quart very very weak plastic baggie.................

if this product takes off, it will no longer be offered at no charge.
Old Jan 20, 2009, 4:39 pm

Programs: I work for the TSA
Can't be much worse than the occasional tobacco-chewer's "spit bottle" that is relinquished at the checkpoint. EWWWWWW!
Old Jan 21, 2009, 9:58 am

Programs: AA Plat / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by N965VJ

That's what I was thinking.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.