One sure way to get SSSS'd

Old Jan 14, 2009, 8:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA:Lifetime Platinum; MR:Lifetime Titanium
One sure way to get SSSS'd

I just purchased a one-way flight from MIA to LGA in a few weeks. I will only have carry-on. This is my first time buying such a flight (1W) since 9/11 and I am betting that I my BP will be SSSS'd.

Has anyone else experienced an automatic SSSS because of one-way travel?
Old Jan 14, 2009, 8:45 am

I have purchased few one ways with only carry-on on DL and CO and never got SSSS'ed.

Originally Posted by uncle wiggily
I just purchased a one-way flight from MIA to LGA in a few weeks. I will only have carry-on. This is my first time buying such a flight (1W) since 9/11 and I am betting that I my BP will be SSSS'd.

Old Jan 14, 2009, 8:47 am

Programs: AA EXP
I think it's more random than that. I've traveled one-way, buying tickets at the airport several times and not been SSSSS'd. The only correlation I seem to have is that when it's least convenient (i.e. you're already running late), you're most likely to get it...
Old Jan 14, 2009, 8:47 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Please follow this thread in Travel Safety / Security, as it is not airline-specific.
Old Jan 14, 2009, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Buying a few weeks in advance, and with elite status, I doubt you will get the SSSS.

My last SSSS was booking a 1-way, a few hours prior to departure, on an airline where I had no FF account.
Old Jan 14, 2009, 8:51 am

Programs: HH Silver, MR Plat Prem & LT Plat, Hyatt Plat,SPG Plat, Hertz PC, National EE, UA 1K
Years ago, this was the case. I buy mostly one ways, about 200 a year. I would ALWAYS get SSSS'ed-but not anymore.

My personal best was 3 times in ONE DAY!!!!
Old Jan 14, 2009, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5G77 Safari/525.20)

I purchased a one way international ticket in advance and was not ssss'd
Old Jan 14, 2009, 12:42 pm

Programs: QF Plat - OW EMD | DL Gold / Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by uncle wiggily

If you get it, it'll likely be "random".

one way doesn't trigger the SSSS like it used to; I'm glad they got that one fixed up as it was very annoying.

a one-way purchased at the airport for same day travel, OTOH, typically earns me an SSSS. Sometimes an elite FF # will suppress it, other times it doesn't.
Old Jan 14, 2009, 12:58 pm
mkt

Programs: AA LT PLT; DL GLD, UA nothing, B6 Mosaic; Emerald Club Executive
My last SSSS was on a last minute, one-way domestic ticket on AA, when I was EXP and a Clear member, at an airport with Clear.

I was pissed to say the least.
Old Jan 14, 2009, 1:14 pm

Location: various cities in the USofA: NYC, BWI, IAH, ORD, CVG, NYC
Programs: Former UA 1K, National Exec. Elite
Originally Posted by SDF_Traveler
a one-way purchased at the airport for same day travel, OTOH, typically earns me an SSSS. Sometimes an elite FF # will suppress it, other times it doesn't.
Can you believe that some countries allow you to book one-way tickets, pay in cash within 24 hours of the flight, carry liters of liquid onto the aircraft, and fly without removing your shoes?

It's a refreshing experience.

Then, of course, when I left the country I had to remove my shoes, along with every other US-bound passenger.
Old Jan 14, 2009, 5:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Living the dream in Antigua and the nightmare in Florida
Programs: AA PLAT 2MM, *A Gold, WN detractor
As others have stated, this is largely behind us now. However, if you miss a connection through no fault of your own and are re-routed on another carrier, you will be haraSSSSed.
Old Jan 14, 2009, 6:10 pm

There's a guy that flies out of HSV whenever he gets the urge to. Apparently... he's mega-rich. Filthy rich. Richer than my wildest dreams of avarice. Oil kinda' guy. Occasionally, he seems to just get the bug to fly over to Kuwait and check out his operations.

He gets these bugs and acts on them instantly. He just... goes to the airport and buys a ticket.

The last time I saw him was a few months ago. Walked up to the ticket counter and inquired about the ticket. They told him how much it'd cost, he left and went to the bank (I know this because he told them that's where he was going~), then returned about twenty minutes later with the exact amount for the flight. Paid in cash somewhere to the tune of $7000 and some change.

Must be nice.

Since he's buying the ticket on the same day of the travel (usually within a couple of hours of the flight), and it always seems to be one-way, and he pays with cash, I've never seen the guy fly out where he wasn't designated as a selectee.
Old Jan 14, 2009, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by HSVTSO Dean

Since he's buying the ticket on the same day of the travel (usually within a couple of hours of the flight), and it always seems to be one-way, and he pays with cash, I've never seen the guy fly out where he wasn't designated as a selectee.
It's a stupid security plan that thinks a terrorist can't go out and buy a pre-loaded card, and then charge a plane ticket. Yet, paying for it in cash is a whole lot more of a security risk. Or there is a big risk if the ticket is bought just before the flight, but not a week earlier, as if terrorists wouldn't plan in advance.
Old Jan 14, 2009, 6:42 pm

I just know that I've never seen so many hundred dollars bills laying in one spot. :P
Old Jan 14, 2009, 7:36 pm

I got SSSS'd yesterday. I was travelling YYJ-SEA-BOI-PDX-YYJ and I had the SSSS on each boarding pass. In YYJ it didn't make a difference and in SEA I got the pat down and search at the departure gate. My BOI flight ended up cancelling, so I didn't get to enjoy the extra security at every other airport I visited (even though I later did SEA-YKM-SEA).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.