Wiki Posts
Search

Yet more mission creep by the TSA

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2009, 4:39 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Yet more mission creep by the TSA

In a brand new 2009 initiative, TSA plans to deploy special teams of veteran security experts to various international locations to assist host nations with enhancing and sustaining local aviation security. St. Lucia will be the first nation to participate in this initiative, and TSA’s assessment team will work with the St. Lucian Ministry of Tourism and Civil Aviation to assess training needs, equipment, and aviation security legislation.
This from the most recent article on the blog:

Mission Creep
Old Jan 8, 2009, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
I wouldn't say anything it's new. TSA's had reps like this posted abroad for awhile now. They bagged on Venezuela awhile back.

Pretty much they're trying to export and enforce ineptitude, at least for US bound flights.
Old Jan 8, 2009, 5:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hertz PC, AMEX PLAT
Originally Posted by doober
This from the most recent article on the blog:

Mission Creep
Yes, not new. This has been going on for years, since pre TSA days under the agencies which existed before getting sucked under Homeland and TSA. These relationships typically pay of in spades and they are reciprocated by several countries as well with their agents interacting with our personnel in the US and abroad.
Old Jan 8, 2009, 5:42 pm

Agreed, not new. They've had these guys going to airports abroad for years.
Old Jan 9, 2009, 8:40 am

Programs: AA Ex Platinum & 1MM, DL PLT, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond
St. Lucia??? Seriously? And what, exactly, did the smurfs do w/re: to the arrival of the A380?

Should have just by-passed this today as my stomach is already upset & this $&#(@)$ isn't helping.
Old Jan 9, 2009, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/Marriott Plat/Hertz PC
Someone needs to reduce their funding.
Old Jan 9, 2009, 9:00 am

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, TSA Disparager Gold, going for Platnium
Originally Posted by whirledtraveler
Someone needs to reduce their funding.
+1 yeah they cant do there base job and they want to expand to this,give me a freaking break

harmonization (according to the article) more like global bullying and blackmail.
Old Jan 9, 2009, 9:07 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Hopefully, they'll do stuff that finally makes the public revolt.

The Security Forces have pretty much reached that point with respect to closing ALL the bridges from Virginia into DC (AND closing I-395 & 66 inside the beltway, even to local virginia-virginia traffic).

"The Secret Service, they're insane," said U.S. Rep. James P. Moran (D-Alexandria). "This is security on steroids. They are imposing major obstacles on people who have a right to be there for the inauguration."
Link

Dear Representative Moran:

That same logic applies to people who have the right to travel on aircraft. Please sponsor legislation to reign in DHS, TSA, and other security forces.

Thank you.

Signed, the Citizens of the United States
Old Jan 9, 2009, 10:16 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Our outhouses are getting full; we need to expand.
Old Jan 9, 2009, 10:21 am

Programs: Seashore Trolley Museum "flight attendant"
>>> closing all the bridges

The airlines need to be more accommodating. Like allow free rescheduling to a Dulles flight when it is not possible to get to Reagan. Just as if a snowstorm hit.
Old Jan 9, 2009, 10:41 am

Programs: DL DM, HH Dia, SPG Gold, MR Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by AllanJ

The airlines need to be more accommodating. Like allow free rescheduling to a Dulles flight when it is not possible to get to Reagan. Just as if a snowstorm hit.
Per DCA's pages, the airport will still be open on 20JAN, with impacts to roads in the area. This page details the suggested methods for getting to/from DCA.
Old Jan 9, 2009, 11:03 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by DevilDog438
Per DCA's pages, the airport will still be open on 20JAN, with impacts to roads in the area. This page details the suggested methods for getting to/from DCA.
Wait a minute - no where have I previously seen it announced that the GW parkway will be closed.... but that page indicates that the ONLY way to get to DCA will be Route 1.

Can you say "cluster****"?
Old Jan 9, 2009, 11:07 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer
Hopefully, they'll do stuff that finally makes the public revolt.

The Security Forces have pretty much reached that point with respect to closing ALL the bridges from Virginia into DC (AND closing I-395 & 66 inside the beltway, even to local virginia-virginia traffic).

Link

Dear Representative Moran:

That same logic applies to people who have the right to travel on aircraft. Please sponsor legislation to reign in DHS, TSA, and other security forces.

Thank you.

Signed, the Citizens of the United States
Originally Posted by AllanJ

just e-mailed goalie-sis the link to the wapo article...she lives in alexandria and works across the street from the navy yard-looks like she's either working from home or gettin' a day off as i don't think even her t/s clearance will get her thru
Old Jan 9, 2009, 12:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hertz PC, AMEX PLAT
Originally Posted by goalie
just e-mailed goalie-sis the link to the wapo article...she lives in alexandria and works across the street from the navy yard-looks like she's either working from home or gettin' a day off as i don't think even her t/s clearance will get her thru
That sounds like a great idea. I live in DC and I am ensuring that I am leaving on the preceding Friday and will be back the following weekend. Why are we even having inauguration balls? I thought we were in a recession? I remember when we slammed Bush 4 years ago for having a lavish inauguration. I guess we’ll overlook cost and impact now for a one evening party…well a few days if you really want to count the silly smaller balls.
Old Jan 9, 2009, 12:30 pm

Programs: AA Ex Platinum & 1MM, DL PLT, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond
No comments?

It's 2:30 pm EST & not a single comment posted yet? Guess Blogger Bob must have made it a 3 day weekend...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.