Wiki Posts
Search

Airport checkpoint discovers guns in truck

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2009, 7:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Airport checkpoint discovers guns in truck

But no indication that there was any intention to use them at the airport. Good thing that they were inspecting the cars.

http://cbs2.com/local/LAX.rifles.car.2.904356.html
Old Jan 10, 2009, 8:13 am

Programs: AA 2MM - UA 1P / Hyatt Diamond - SPG Plat / Hertz 5* - Avis 1st
Granted, thirty-seven firearms seems a little excessive, but surely having rifles in your truck is not illegal? If so, half the rural population in November hunting season is destined for time in the slammer.
Old Jan 10, 2009, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Isn't that normal in LA?
Old Jan 10, 2009, 8:17 am

This happened in California, but I can tell you that in Florida, the two that were loaded would be a problem...

Also, if it is Federal property, the rules change.
Old Jan 10, 2009, 9:00 am

Follow up on the news says the guy was going to pick up his friend and then go target shooting.
Old Jan 10, 2009, 9:06 am

Programs: AA-3MM-ExPLT
Quoting the updated article...

The weapons -- which included 10 handguns, five rifles and an antique black-powder musket -- were in containers in the back of the 47-year-old man's truck, which was stopped by airport police officers at a major entrance to the passenger terminals area, said airport spokeswoman Nancy Castles.

Two of the weapons, a revolver and the musket, were loaded, Holcomb said.

Dominguez's wife, Sue Dominguez, told The Associated Press that her husband planned to go target shooting at an outdoor range with a friend whom he was picking up at the airport. She said she found out about his arrest from a television news report and they later spoke on the phone.

She described him as a law-abiding citizen who treats his weapons with care.

"The guns are always double-locked. He has all the paperwork and everything. He's a fanatic about making it all legal," she said. "He didn't lie to the police and he said they were polite and respectful to him."
Old Jan 10, 2009, 9:30 am

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
Originally Posted by Good Guy
Follow up on the news says the guy was going to pick up his friend and then go target shooting.
Makes sense to me based on the read. I do agree he should've used better judgement.
Old Jan 10, 2009, 9:31 am

Programs: DL DM,Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by aviators99
This happened in California, but I can tell you that in Florida, the two that were loaded would be a problem...
Also, if it is Federal property, the rules change.
From the article:
"The weapons -- which included 10 handguns, five rifles and an antique black-powder musket -- were in containers in the back of the 47-year-old man's truck"

CA requires the firearm be unloaded and stored in a locked container. Definitely an issue that two of the guns were loaded, but not an issue that warrants front page, above the fold, news coverage.
Old Jan 10, 2009, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/Marriott Plat/Hertz PC
Next up: Truck checkpoint discovers guns in airplane
Old Jan 10, 2009, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sbm12
But no indication that there was any intention to use them at the airport. Good thing that they were inspecting the cars.

http://cbs2.com/local/LAX.rifles.car.2.904356.html
I don't see the problem here. The person did not attempt to enter the secure area of the airport. His weapons were locked and secure.
He was open and honest with the officers and did not try to conceal his intentions.
Simple possession of legal items and no more.

RB
Old Jan 10, 2009, 9:44 am

I think the guy was arrested more for the fact that at least one of the weapons was loaded.

I find it offensive that the airport police "that count was an estimate based on the number of containers in the truck, which did not all contain weapons". That is not an honest way to do things. Count the guns and make your statement.

Furthermore the news media in Southern California makes it perfectly clear that if you have anything to do with firearms (sans on duty police officer) that you're a scumbag, drug dealer, illegal immigrant member of MS-13, or terrorist.
Old Jan 10, 2009, 10:43 am

Originally Posted by dw8146
Definitely an issue that two of the guns were loaded, but not an issue that warrants front page, above the fold, news coverage.
Guns + Airport + Checkpoint = "Front page, above the fold, news coverage"
Old Jan 10, 2009, 10:52 am
Suspended

Interesting. People are threatened by a Pakistani women with a bottle of water a the airport, by Msulims talking abou safe seats on a plane, but a stash of guns in a vehicle raises no eyebrows. Truly amazing.
Old Jan 10, 2009, 11:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
I don't see the problem here. The person did not attempt to enter the secure area of the airport. His weapons were locked and secure.
He was open and honest with the officers and did not try to conceal his intentions.

RB
The problem is the gross overuse of airport security to justify wholesale dragnets to search and arrest people who pose no danger to airlines, airplanes, airports or the airspace.

Of course his possession of weapons that he legally owns is not a problem. But that didn't stop this from becoming a huge deal for no good reason.
Old Jan 10, 2009, 11:10 am

Programs: AS MVPG 100k
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog

RB
^ +1

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.