Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Smoking policy question for TSA employees.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2008, 5:07 am
Original Poster

Smoking policy question for TSA employees.

I was minding my own darn business yesterday and someone employed by TSA came up to me and inquired if I was aware of the new DHS policy regarding uniformed personnel smoking (in uniform).

I'm not sure if this guy was joking or not, but has anyone of the TSA employees on FT been mustered on a smoking policy?

Thanks in advance.
Old Dec 16, 2008, 5:11 am

...Well... we have a local policy about smoking in uniform in public view, but that's just a local thing here at HSV.

A DHS-wide policy regarding it? ...Never heard of it.
Old Dec 16, 2008, 5:13 am

Originally Posted by Taker Park
I was minding my own darn business yesterday and someone employed by TSA came up to me and inquired if I was aware of the new DHS policy regarding uniformed personnel smoking (in uniform).

I'm not sure if this guy was joking or not, but has anyone of the TSA employees on FT been mustered on a smoking policy?

Thanks in advance.
No such a policy. Ask to see it. There may be a local policy on where to smoke.
Old Dec 16, 2008, 5:17 am
Suspended

Shoe on other foot

Originally Posted by tsadude1
But don't be surprised if you're told it's SSI.
Old Dec 16, 2008, 5:20 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
TSA employees smoking? Excellent idea. I highly recommend Camel Unfiltereds or Pall Malls.
Old Dec 16, 2008, 5:23 am

Originally Posted by Spiff
TSA employees smoking? Excellent idea. I highly recommend Camel Unfiltereds or Pall Malls.
Marlboro Ultra Light 100's, for me. I smoke "dirty air"
Old Dec 16, 2008, 5:29 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by HSVTSO Dean
Marlboro Ultra Light 100's, for me. I smoke "dirty air"
Don't believe the Liberal Media.

(Ok, maybe you and a few other FT TSA employees should consider not smoking.)
Old Dec 16, 2008, 6:09 am

Don't believe the Liberal Media.
Oh, no, that's just what I call them. "Dirty air." They have almost no flavor whatsoever, so all it amounts to is gray-colored air drifting away.

Unhealthy, sure. Unsightly it may be to some, sure. But I really, really, really love cigarettes. I always have. It's... about as strange as my psychological compulsion to set shoes properly when I see them, left-to-right. Ever since I was a kid, I've always loved it. When I turned 19, and was legally able to buy them, I became a chain-smoker overnight (and didn't smoke until 19, by the way, because of the fact that it was against the law~)

Put two equally-beautiful women in front of me, and I'll be far more attracted to the one smoking than not.

Different strokes for different folks, my friend.
Old Dec 16, 2008, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Taker Park

Thanks in advance.
Whose uniform were you wearing? TSA, Military, Police, or other?
Old Dec 16, 2008, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Put two equally-beautiful women in front of me, and I'll be far more attracted to the one smoking than not.
Sounds like you have an oral fixation.
Old Dec 16, 2008, 7:45 am

I see the TSOs in Charlotte smoking in front of the airport quite a bit. As long as they smoke in a designated smoking area there is not much I can say about it because they are an adult.

When they smoke in the non-smoking areas in front of the airport and thus all passengers start to think the NO SMOKING area means nothing...I don't like that too much, but they are still adults and they are outside close enough to a designated smoking area.

I saw an my FA from a previous flight smoking outside waiting for a shuttle the other day. I thought it was odd that people who are constantly not allowed to smoke do, but it's their life.

...Hopefully they're smart enough to hop over to SC and buy dirt cheap cigs!
Old Dec 16, 2008, 8:10 am

Sure they haven't been smoking something stronger all along? Would do a lot to explain the decisions. Maybe that's the real reason for the dog program. HQ's stash might be getting low...
Old Dec 17, 2008, 2:05 am
Original Poster

...Well... we have a local policy about smoking in uniform in public view, but that's just a local thing here at HSV.

A DHS-wide policy regarding it? ...Never heard of it.
Thank you.

Originally Posted by tsadude1
Thank you.

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Whose uniform were you wearing? TSA, Military, Police, or other?
Other but, but still belonging to DHS.

The thought did cross my mind that it was a local policy as opposed to a national policy. I think I would have heard an uproar about it being put into effect regardless, but I'm not entirely sure the union that represents me does in fact have my best interests at heart, so I figured that I would ask.
Old Dec 17, 2008, 9:59 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
if you're concerned about "getting busted" for smoking in uniform, why not bring a windbreaker or something similar and put that on over your upper uni. similar to what uni'd leos do (or should do) when entering a bank on non-official business so not to advertise in case something is going on/about to happen
Old Dec 17, 2008, 10:01 am

They do not smoke in view of the public at BNA from what I have seen.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.