Wiki Posts
Search

Printers inside check in baggages

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2008, 2:24 am
Original Poster

Printers inside check in baggages

Hi All

I am new to flyertalk and have a quick questions.

I have a printer and want to take that outside the US along with me. I intend to put it inside a checkin baggage. Is that allowed on intl flights? Will there be a problem at the destination in customs dept?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
msskiran
Old Nov 17, 2008, 3:19 am

Originally Posted by msskiran
Hi All

I am new to flyertalk and have a quick questions.

I have a printer and want to take that outside the US along with me. I intend to put it inside a checkin baggage. Is that allowed on intl flights? Will there be a problem at the destination in customs dept?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
msskiran
Where are you going
Old Nov 17, 2008, 3:58 am

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
You should be fine! I wouldn't worry too much about customs... I'd be more worried about securing the printer, though!
Old Nov 17, 2008, 12:43 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
I'd also be more worried about securing the printer. My only experience here is takign an all-in-one aboard a WN flight as carry-on. The flight was nearly empty, so didn't have problems
Old Nov 17, 2008, 1:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Welcome to FlyerTalk!!

If you are importing the printer to the destination country then you need to declare it and pay whatever duty is assessed. Or do not declare it, and hope for the best.
Old Nov 17, 2008, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
BIG issue: be sure to remove the ink or toner cartidge(s) before you pack it! Even though most commercial aircraft holds are pressurized, they often are not climate-controlled.
Old Nov 17, 2008, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ESpen36
BIG issue: be sure to remove the ink or toner cartidge(s) before you pack it! Even though most commercial aircraft holds are pressurized, they often are not climate-controlled.
Definitely. Also, such things have a habit of leaking when installed and you move the equipment around. I've seen a nice rainbow mess from when someone moved a color laser--not to mention that toner dust is flammable. Once in a blue moon you shake up a laser printer enough with the toner installed then try to use it before all the dust has had time to settle and you find out what a dust explosion is.
Old Nov 17, 2008, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
If it’s a laser printer, pack the cartridge in a carry-on. I don’t know anything about color ink cartridges, but I would be wary of the 3-1-1 rule.
Old Nov 17, 2008, 5:28 pm

Don't forget to add some protection. I've seen one bag where the guy just had the printer in there and nothing to stop it from bouncing around.
Old Nov 17, 2008, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'd be more concerned about it ever leaving the United States...
Old Nov 17, 2008, 8:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by mikeon
Don't forget to add some protection. I've seen one bag where the guy just had the printer in there and nothing to stop it from bouncing around.

I recommed lubricated, ribbed protection.

Sorry, couldn't resist.
Old Nov 18, 2008, 12:14 am
Original Poster

Thank You!

Thank you all for the replies.

I had thought that carrying it would not be a problem. But I wanted to be
100% sure. I agree that there has to be a lot of padding around it. And I
will make sure that the cartridge is removed and kept safely.

Thank you one and all again!

Regards
msskiran

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.