Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New TSA requirements for address and DOB

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2008, 10:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by studentff
Is that name public or something you can reveal? (I'm not at all enthused about an Obama Presidency, except for this issue, on which the hope of some action or change in mentality could warm me up quite a bit.)
It's nothing secret...Bennie Thompson. I'm not privy to whether or not the rumor is accurate, but his name was tossed around by the Obama team as a possible candidate for Secretary.

On another plus side, the campaign of his Republican opponent, national TSA cheerleader Peter King is at risk - that is someone we won't be sorry to see leave.
Old Oct 22, 2008, 10:59 am

Angry Fudgers, fudgers, fudgers...

Originally Posted by studentff
If airline checkin agents are required to verify and correct DOB from photo-ID when they see it, then lying won't do any good unless you can always avoid actually showing your ID to an airline employee. Once the airline gets a DOB linked to your FF account, especially if verified by an employee, it will probably be hard to change. I've been known to occasionally check a bag, and I've been known to frequently change my flight at the checkin counter due to standby or irregular ops, and both seem to trigger a photo-ID check (at least on UA).

Oh, and I can see TSA's solution to "close" the lying loophole. Print your DOB on your boarding pass, and make the TDC verify it just like your name. It's not like TSA cares at all about passenger identity-theft vulnerability anyway.
Crap - just realized this too: no way around it especially if you fly using your passport as "federally required ID to fly". Right there above the passport issuing office is DOB.

Fudgers...(I'm being 'nice' here to all sensitive ears)...yet another data point in your PNR that's submitted to TSA for review (or as boca suggested, it may have been all along).

Looks like I may become an anonymous flyer here in the near future...so much for my Platinum level with AA.
Old Oct 22, 2008, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
So what would happen if my RFID card got some Hammer Time?
Old Oct 22, 2008, 11:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, DeltaMM
Bocastephen - I hope you'll let the group know if you are successful in getting an appearance before the HS committee. I would certainly make every effort to attend, assuming it is not a closed hearing. Security stuff will be discussed, you know, in the attempt to make the US of A a safer place to live and travel, so perhaps the unwashed masses like me will not be welcome. I have ways, though, so do let us know or PM me if you don't want to post it for the world to see. ^
Old Oct 22, 2008, 11:23 am

Programs: Former UA 1P
Originally Posted by bocastephen
It's nothing secret...Bennie Thompson. I'm not privy to whether or not the rumor is accurate, but his name was tossed around by the Obama team as a possible candidate for Secretary.

On another plus side, the campaign of his Republican opponent, national TSA cheerleader Peter King is at risk - that is someone we won't be sorry to see leave.
Hmm, OK, thanks. That actually doesn't reassure me too much. Norm Mineta, after all, was seen as a civil-rights champion, and his contribution to the TSA debacle was concluding that it was OK to treat passengers like criminals as long as all passengers were equally treated like criminals without regard to "protected" criteria such as race, religion, nationality. Personally I'd prefer that only criminals were treated like criminals.

That's my big fear with a Democrat controlled DHS/TSA--they'll keep up the data grabs and rights trampling and actually step-up the rights trampling on non-minorities, citizens, and non-poor people to make the process look "fair." It's the equivalent of cops getting rid of a racial profiling problem in their pull-overs not by making fewer senseless driving-while-black pull-overs but by adding senseless pull-overs of white people to make the ratios consistent with the demographics (i.e., quotas). Such policies have the added plus for Democrats of requiring more government employees to make the senseless for-show stops/searches.

I'll be quite surprised (though pleasantly so) if an Obama administration cares one lick about the travel plight of or civil rights/liberties violations against white, male, working-age, college educated, middle and professional class frequent travelers.

Getting rid of Peter King would be nice though.
Old Oct 22, 2008, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
I always get confused when stating dates, military style, american style or eurpoean syle.
Since this rule will take over CBP screening of international passengers, it will have to be set up to use data fields DD-MM-YYYY like international documents and passports. Since about 50% of Americans are clueless, this will result in 50% transposed day and month numbers on domestic tickets. I see a cluster f coming.

For those paying cash for tickets , it would be fitting for all to use a single date of birth: October 22 plus a year to match your age (with a margin of error of plus zero/minus ten years). Anyone remember why a lot of "people" had the same DOB in Buckaroo Banzi? If asked why 10/22 darn it I mean 22/10, say "I'm honoring my hero. That's Big Brother's birthday."
Old Oct 22, 2008, 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by Flaflyer
I see a cluster f coming.
Coming? The TSA/DHS have been with us for 6 long years thus far.
Old Oct 22, 2008, 2:35 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Anyone remember why a lot of "people" had the same DOB in Buckaroo Banzi? If asked why 10/22 darn it I mean 22/10, say "I'm honoring my hero. That's Big Brother's birthday."
I've always thought that Kip might actually be a Red Lectroid...
Old Oct 22, 2008, 3:18 pm

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by bocastephen
SecureFlight (I will be posting the actual data points soon, as promised) is being designed as an informational loop-back to RealID. In a nutshell, you will be assigned an ID 'number', which will be connected to your PNR and tied to your name, DOB, address, social security number and other data points collected.

This data will then be tied to your RealID-secured license or other 'national ID' card you will be carrying. In short, there will be a number which will follow you everywhere, and be tied to all of your daily activities which could be tied to any of these data points, including credit card transactions, bank account activity, air travel, car travel (where you gas up, where you rent a car, etc.), etc. etc. etc.
A government that tracks each and every citizen is no longer a free country. We move closer and closer to that every day. The government doesn't trust its citizens, and technology gives them the opportunity to enforce each and every oppressive law. No wonder such a stink is being made to force photo ID to vote.

The goal is to create a "registered citizen" program. Won't be long before governments REQUIRE ID for every transaction, cash or credit.
Old Oct 22, 2008, 3:25 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
Not that I'm taking TSA's side on this, but this isn't news. They aren't asking for your address - the TSA site says that only your DOB and gender will be requested. I believe that the FOX News person may have mixed it up with the international requirements, because an address is required for international travel under the Secure Flight mandates... however, for domestic flights, only DOB and gender will be requested - for now, anyway.

Can somebody point to me where it says this will be mandatory?

Thanks.
Old Oct 22, 2008, 3:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Andy1369
Not that I'm taking TSA's side on this, but this isn't news. They aren't asking for your address - the TSA site says that only your DOB and gender will be requested. I believe that the FOX News person may have mixed it up with the international requirements, because an address is required for international travel under the Secure Flight mandates... however, for domestic flights, only DOB and gender will be requested - for now, anyway.

Thanks.
I've been told that address is one of the data points which will be included with SecureFlight - what is coming out immediately will likely be DOB and gender only, but there are other data points they plan to implement.

As you can well imagine, the airlines are howling over this because of the burden it places on their operations.
Old Oct 22, 2008, 3:38 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
This is going to be done to make the airports into even bigger stomping grounds for fishing expeditions by law enforcement for routine criminal and civil matters that have nothing to do with counterterrorism -- then the TSA will come out waving the flag of how good their blacklists and procedures are at getting XYZ types of persons .... all while ignoring how they sold Americans on this garbage by waving the "terrorist" flag.
Old Oct 22, 2008, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Unless they specify a date standard, I tend write all my dates in ISO 8601 compliant format (YYYY-MM-DD). It comes from spending way to much time programming.

It already drives my coworkers nuts, so I can just imagine what it will do to the DHS.
Old Oct 22, 2008, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
At least as far as RealID goes, I'm glad my passport's good for another 8 and my DL another 4 ... both RFID free.

Maybe for the birthday, we can use the "phone" version of !%@# U!
Old Oct 23, 2008, 4:34 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles
Originally Posted by N965VJ
So what would happen if my RFID card got some Hammer Time?
Hard to say. If whomever was in charge of "reading" it (visually or electronically) couldn't get a signal off of the RFID chip, they might refuse to accept it. You might have a great constitutional argument as to why they would have to, but that probably won't help you make your plane.

For those paying cash for tickets , it would be fitting for all to use a single date of birth: October 22 plus a year to match your age (with a margin of error of plus zero/minus ten years). Anyone remember why a lot of "people" had the same DOB in Buckaroo Banzi? If asked why 10/22 darn it I mean 22/10, say "I'm honoring my hero. That's Big Brother's birthday."
Tread carefully. I once had a young traffic violator claim he had forgotten his driver's license (it was actually suspended), and gave me the name and DOB of one of his friends when I asked for information to verify he had a license. Bad choice--the friend had an active warrant for his arrest. We eventually cleared up the warrant issue, but he still got charged with driving while suspended and providing false information on his identity.

If you were to pick a DOB that happened to belong to someone with the same or a similar name and who had an outstanding warrant, you could have a very bad day. Don't think you're the only one around with your name. I have a Google News alert set up for my own name. My name isn't especially common, but I got a link to a news story today to the effect I had been murdered. Same name, but I don't think it was me.

Originally Posted by Andy1369
Not what you would call statutory authority, but in this news story, everyone's favorite person was quoted:

"You have to give this information," Transportation Security Administration chief Kip Hawley said.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.