Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

You now need ID to return a rental car (at BNA)?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

You now need ID to return a rental car (at BNA)?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2008, 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by Wally Bird
Actually I was alluding to this post:http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showp...&postcount=114

But I think I have strayed far enough from the issue of rentacops demanding ID.
Maybe I should have been more specific as to the reason for questioning I mentioned in that post (sometime ago, you keep dibs don't you. ). I have asked a couple of photographers to leave who did not have clearance from admin/marketing to be shooting photography. I would think that they could get clearance just as the local media does if they ask.
Old Oct 13, 2008, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by SgtScott31
Maybe I should have been more specific as to the reason for questioning I mentioned in that post (sometime ago, you keep dibs don't you. ). I have asked a couple of photographers to leave who did not have clearance from admin/marketing to be shooting photography. I would think that they could get clearance just as the local media does if they ask.
A little OT, but were these commercial photographers? If not, then what basis do you have to give them the boot?
Old Oct 13, 2008, 3:35 pm

Programs: *wood Gold, Marriott Gold, DL Silver, Hilton Silver, F9 Ascent
When you rent a car, you are responsible for it and the rental car agencies do not want anyone else driving it. I have rented cars dozens of times and never thought once for anyone else to attempt to return it. Is this something normal for you?
Yes, as a matter of fact, it is.

As DillMan said "I frequently leave my rental car with employees/buddies/my bedmate for them to return" and I've never once been concerned about leaving the car in their care. On several occasions I've rented 3-5 cars at a time--same car company--and have only used one for myself. We have two "official" rental agencies with a 3rd that is used only for long-term rentals (2+ months). Our contracts with all the agencies allow me to permit anyone I designate--coworkers (all 150,000+ of them), family, friends--to drive the car. No need to declare the drivers in advance and no extra insurance fees either, all part of the agreement.

So if Joe Security at BNA wants to see a bit of plastic with a photo of the driver then it's up to whomever is returning my car. But if he wants to make bones about the fact that the driver isn't the person on the rental agreement then what's it his business? Who drives the car is between me, the driver and the rental car company. And now that I think about it, Joe Security is going to get really huffy since there's no rental agreement in the first place! My rental agreement is the little plastic card next to my DL in my wallet.
Old Oct 13, 2008, 5:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
SgtScott31

I posted a rather long post a few days ago and, among other things, asked why you posted here. I hoped I made it clear in my post that I wasn't being hostile, just genuinely curious because it seemed to me that you didn't feel welcome.

As I think I mentioned, I have a foot in both camps: I have grown up with family in LE, but at the same time, I am just a citizen that sees things from a non-LE perspective. For that reason, I may not always experience things the same way you (or family members) do.

That said, thank you for taking my question in the spirit it was intended and thank you for a reasoned and thoughtful response.
Old Oct 13, 2008, 6:01 pm

When you rent a car, you are responsible for it and the rental car agencies do not want anyone else driving it. I have rented cars dozens of times and never thought once for anyone else to attempt to return it. Is this something normal for you?
Yes.
Old Oct 13, 2008, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In recent years, every rental contract I've had, corporate, federal government, and personal, all permit business colleagues traveling with you and, for personal rentals, eligible spouses and family members to drive a rental car in my name without a special sign-up or additional fee.
Old Oct 13, 2008, 6:40 pm

Programs: AA,AS,UA,Hyatt,Hilton
><snip>< you must realize there is a time and place for venting and "fighting" oppression.
The time and place to fight oppression are when and where you confront it. (Or more likely, it confronts you)

The time & place is normally not at the airport. ><snip><
Sadly, the airport is currently the place where you are most likely to encounter the kind of oppression we need to fight.

It's really the only place in America where un-American behavior is considered "normal".
Old Oct 13, 2008, 11:21 pm

Location: various cities in the USofA: NYC, BWI, IAH, ORD, CVG, NYC
Programs: Former UA 1K, National Exec. Elite
Nothing personal, but those here (not necessarily you) must realize there is a time and place for venting and "fighting" oppression. The time & place is normally not at the airport.
Can you suggest a place more appropriate than the place where the oppression occurs? A person more appropriate than the agent of the oppression?

Every agent of the US government (and state/local governments) is, or should be, responsible for making sure that his/her actions are Constitutional and legal. If a government agent fails to do this, he/she needs to be confronted on that failure. It's a sad fact that even those sworn to defend the US Constitution would deny that.
Old Oct 14, 2008, 4:49 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, OZ*G, AA Gold, AS MVP
Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
In recent years, every rental contract I've had, corporate, federal government, and personal, all permit business colleagues traveling with you and, for personal rentals, eligible spouses and family members to drive a rental car in my name without a special sign-up or additional fee.
Hmm... I figured that something this had to be the case and thought what peachfront said was a bit odd.

and Wally Bird- I guess I've just been really lucky then- I've never had that kind of trouble taking photos of things in the airport. Although I've never taken pictures of or really done anything in relation to the actual planes, so I'm probably missing something.

Also, up to now I thought that ID at car return was normal. Learn something new every day, I guess.
Old Oct 14, 2008, 5:22 am
mkt

Programs: AA LT PLT; DL GLD, UA nothing, B6 Mosaic; Emerald Club Executive
Yes. I have also returned another persons car on several occasions.
Old Oct 14, 2008, 6:39 am

Originally Posted by ralfp
Can you suggest a place more appropriate than the place where the oppression occurs? A person more appropriate than the agent of the oppression?

Every agent of the US government (and state/local governments) is, or should be, responsible for making sure that his/her actions are Constitutional and legal. If a government agent fails to do this, he/she needs to be confronted on that failure. It's a sad fact that even those sworn to defend the US Constitution would deny that.
I believe you and TopTier know what I am referring to. By actions of anyone at an airport, whether it be contract security, an airline employee, law enforcement, or TSA, it is not the time and place to get into a piss*** match with whomever you are not happy with. The "time and place" is with management, supervision, and/or ultimately a court room. Causing a big disturbance in the middle of an airport because you felt oppressed will land you somewhere you will definitely not want to be.
Old Oct 14, 2008, 6:43 am

Originally Posted by ND Sol
A little OT, but were these commercial photographers? If not, then what basis do you have to give them the boot?
Did you not read the airport code regarding photography I posted on pg 5? Folks must have clearance from Airport Authority to shoot photography. It is not intended for Joe Citizen who wants to take pictures of cool shops or airplanes on their way to their flight. It is intended for copyright issues should someone find certain things in BNA that they might want to try and reproduce somewhere else without permission. I would assume that those in the photography/media industry are aware of such infringement issues.

As far as multiple renters with car agencies go, I am not sure as to what actions the contract security take with these cases who come into BNA. We rarely get called to the rental-car return booths. If there was a big issue about corporate-type accounts with multiple drivers, I probably would have heard about it by now. I also learn new things every day.
Old Oct 14, 2008, 8:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Did you not read the airport code regarding photography I posted on pg 5? Folks must have clearance from Airport Authority to shoot photography. It is not intended for Joe Citizen who wants to take pictures of cool shops or airplanes on their way to their flight. It is intended for copyright issues should someone find certain things in BNA that they might want to try and reproduce somewhere else without permission. I would assume that those in the photography/media industry are aware of such infringement issues.
Here is the code, in its entirety:
Originally Posted by muni code
2.60.230 Photography.
No person shall take still, sound or motion pictures for commercial use on airport property without the approval of the executive director or his designated representative. This does not apply to those taken on lease airport tenant areas for private or promotional purposes.
Tell me where in there it says that a passenger cannot take a photo for personal use? The fact that it explicitly states "for commercial use" limits the scope of the clause quite significantly. Were the people you have asked to leave commercial photographers or just folks out plane spotting? How can you tell the difference? Do I need a big sign that says "I am not a commercial photographer" on my back while in the airport??

As for "time & place" discussions, it is often required that a stink be made at the time of the offending action so as to make the wheels of justice start turning. Otherwise there is no cause to bring a suit because there has been no harm. Yes, the rent-a-cop is just doing what they are told, but that doesn't mean that everyone else should roll over and pretend that we don't have rights while trying to engage a manager who doesn't actually care either.
Old Oct 14, 2008, 8:29 am

Location: various cities in the USofA: NYC, BWI, IAH, ORD, CVG, NYC
Programs: Former UA 1K, National Exec. Elite
I believe you and TopTier know what I am referring to. By actions of anyone at an airport, whether it be contract security, an airline employee, law enforcement, or TSA, it is not the time and place to get into a piss*** match with whomever you are not happy with. The "time and place" is with management, supervision, and/or ultimately a court room. Causing a big disturbance in the middle of an airport because you felt oppressed will land you somewhere you will definitely not want to be.
So it's better to make a big piss*** match by involving managers and the courts? This is because those sworn to uphold the Constitution will punish anyone who dares verbally challenge their actions? That's sad (but true).
Old Oct 14, 2008, 9:00 am

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
Originally Posted by ralfp
So it's better to make a big piss*** match by involving managers and the courts? This is because those sworn to uphold the Constitution will punish anyone who dares verbally challenge their actions? That's sad (but true).
It's the same as if stopped for speeding. You honestly do not feel you are guilty. The side of the road is not the place to argue the ticket. That is done in the courts. As I use to tell everyone "signing the summons is not an admission of guilt only your written promise to appear".

Last edited by coachrowsey; Oct 14, 2008 at 9:01 am Reason: correct typo

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.