Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How long before the body scan is mandatory?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2008, 7:32 pm
Original Poster

How long before the body scan is mandatory?

Going through DFW, D21 checkpoint I had the "option" to experience the new millimeter wave body scanner.

As I passed through the WTMD and showed my boarding pass, the TSO stopped me and asked me to step into the scanner for additional screening.

I responded, "I'd like to respectfully deny to do so". He looked a little shocked and pissed but called for help.

I took my pat down with new gloves and was on my way in less than 2 minutes.

While sitting there, I was watching and roughly 80% of pax that came through the checkpoint were directed through the scanner.

The checkpoint wasn't busy, but it made me wonder how long before it's mandatory to get scanned.
Old Sep 9, 2008, 7:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Just like the right to refuse to show ID they'll eventually decide that anyone who would consider their privacy reasonable must be a terrorist and gaming the system, so it cannot be allowed. I predict May 1, 2009.
Old Sep 9, 2008, 8:54 pm

Gone.

Last edited by Peetah; Oct 21, 2008 at 1:35 am
Old Sep 9, 2008, 9:19 pm

It's already mandatory at some Russian airports.
Old Sep 10, 2008, 9:15 am

Location: Alexandria, VA, USA NW Platinum Elite Since 1999, United GoldMM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz #1 Gold, IC Ambassador, Avis Chairman's
But you don't say what kind of millimeter you get for refusing

Originally Posted by Mats
It's already mandatory at some Russian airports.
Old Sep 10, 2008, 9:53 am

Programs: I work for the TSA
I haven't heard any talk about making it mandatory. Heck, we don't even have them at my airport yet!

I'm guessing those machines are expensive. Additional staff would be needed, and checkpoint lanes would have to be reconfigured, to accommodate them. I just don't see them being used on EVERY passenger, ever. Selectees, perhaps, but I think that's as far as it will go in the forseeable future. Mind you, that's my personal opinion/guess, not anything official.
Old Sep 10, 2008, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by oneofthosepeopleyouloveto hate
I haven't heard any talk about making it mandatory. Heck, we don't even have them at my airport yet!

I'm guessing those machines are expensive. Additional staff would be needed, and checkpoint lanes would have to be reconfigured, to accommodate them. I just don't see them being used on EVERY passenger, ever. Selectees, perhaps, but I think that's as far as it will go in the forseeable future. Mind you, that's my personal opinion/guess, not anything official.
No, what you say makes a lot of sense. I just can't see that machine at every checkpoint at every airport.

I agree with what you say about the people slated for haraSSSSment.
Old Sep 10, 2008, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
Originally Posted by oneofthosepeopleyouloveto hate
I'm guessing those machines are expensive. Additional staff would be needed, and checkpoint lanes would have to be reconfigured, to accommodate them. not anything official.
Actually you answered the question. You can't see the artfully concealed forest for the trees, as it is first necessary to translate your insider lingo into plain English and Beltwayeze:

"those machines are expensive" = A fantastic justifation to Congress for a huge budget increse, and windfall profits contracts for our buddies at L3 and Hughes and Haliburton. Win-wins all around. ^

"Additional staff would be needed" = Wow, more justification to Congress for a huge budget increase, then expansion and promotions agency wide. A golden chance to use the line "Are you against "anything for security", Senator?" ^

"checkpoint lanes would have to be reconfigured" = OMG a Kippie Wet Dream (< 3.4 oz only). Necessary or needless change, it is all "Evolution of the Checkpoint" and good for countless press releases and blog entries for Propaganda Bob and the crew. Whoever thought a government run by Creationists could milk so much mileage out of the word "Evolution"? ^

3 out of 3 of the Burro-crats Holy Grails of Self Justification. ^ ^ ^

Conclusion: It WILL Be Done.
Old Sep 10, 2008, 3:08 pm

Programs: I work for the TSA
Whoever thought a government run by Creationists could milk so much mileage out of the word "Evolution"?
ROTFL!

^
Old Sep 10, 2008, 3:58 pm
Suspended

October 15, 2008 for all airports that have them installed.
Old Sep 10, 2008, 4:25 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Flaflyer
"checkpoint lanes would have to be reconfigured" = OMG a Kippie Wet Dream (< 3.4 oz only).
Definitely less. Given the power trip he's on, it's obvious he's compensating.
Old Sep 10, 2008, 5:07 pm

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by Flaflyer
"those machines are expensive" = A fantastic justifation to Congress for a huge budget increse, and windfall profits contracts for our buddies at L3 and Hughes and Haliburton. Win-wins all around. ^
ANd in business speak: "We invested heavily in those machines. You damn well better use them so we get an ROI"
Old Sep 10, 2008, 7:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I will say never - because the moment they force someone to be x-ray'd (which this process entails), a plethora of lawsuits fighting against the health risks and privacy risks will be filed - I'm surprised they haven't been already.
Old Sep 10, 2008, 7:57 pm

Programs: UA 1k
With prices of 400k and up, I'm surprised Russia has them already.
As long as everyone refuses to use it, they will eventually give up.

I could see some countries, especially Japan, using them in mass, but all will have to have backups search methods.
Such as, what to do with physically disabled ?
What if you couldn't lift your arms up, like McCain ?

Keep refusing to use any device using active RF, never know when it might be out of calibration and emitting more than it should.

Now if they had a passive device, wouldn't have a problem with it.

So to answer your question....never as long as Americans demand basic rights. Even in the case of future attacks.
Old Sep 10, 2008, 9:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
I will be refusing to go through the body scan and will use any force necessary against the security agents to pass through the checkpoint without undergoing a secondary.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.