Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

TSA Mission Creep, ch. 573: Suspect in Tucson burglary arrested in New York

Old Sep 8, 2008, 7:32 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member

TusconCitizen.com

Brass knuckles in a backpack led to the arrest Saturday at JFK International Airport of a Tucson man suspected in a burglary in Tucson.

The Queens County, N.Y., District Attorney's Office said the Tucsonan was arrested in connection with a July break-in at the home of a Tucson veterinarian and his wife. The Tucson Citizen is not identifying the victims.

Stevie W. Rogers, 32, of the 13000 block of West Rudasill Road, has been charged in New York with criminal possession of more than $150,000 in stolen property, said Kevin Ryan, a spokesman for Queens District Attorney Richard A. Brown.

He said Rogers had credit cards and jewelry, including "precious family heirlooms" that belong to the Tucson couple, in his duffel bag.

[...]

A news release from the Queens County District Attorney's Office said Rogers presented a backpack for inspection by Transportation Security Administration workers at JFK at 6:15 a.m. Saturday.

"Screening agents detected an image of metal knuckles on the X-ray" and during a physical search, "the metal knuckles were found inside a blue and gray bag," the release said.

Also in the bag, Brown said, were "various credit cards" belonging to the Tucson couple, jewelry, "an aircraft radio and a Sony PlayStation, all of which had been reported stolen by the couple."
Just peachy.
Old Sep 8, 2008, 7:33 pm

Good for them. ^
Old Sep 8, 2008, 7:42 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Great catch. ^
Old Sep 8, 2008, 7:49 pm
Suspended

Nice to see TSA catching an actual criminal ^

Is OPs point that if a Meter Maid saw suspected stolen merchandise, belongings in the back seat of a parked car, he/she should let them pass as long as the meter was paid
Old Sep 8, 2008, 9:13 pm

I do not like the TSA, but I do not see the problem with this. If the guy had had a gun in his bag, are you saying that anything else that is evidence of a crime should be ignored? If so, your logic is faulty. Brass Knuckles are an illegal weapon the same as a firearm.^
Old Sep 8, 2008, 9:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by tom911
Great catch. ^
I think TSA has been done outstanding job for being caught with him. So you already know what happening to him. He has stolen someone's property. This is not good situations for him at all. What about he have anything his criminal background check records. I think he have long rap sheet for too many times where he gotten arrested in the past. Hopefully he will spent rest for the life in prison for his miserably life. Hopefully if officers need to get extra patrol around the streets to keep bad guys off the house. If you hear the alarm sound is gone off. The alarm companies will be notifications to the owner immediately. If neighborhoods who saw someone who try breaks into the house. It will be called burglary in progress. It could be steals some of personal items. I don't really have anything problem at our house at all. I am taking my own responsibility where I can protection my house. This is inappropriate for his behaviors is trying to sneaks inside the house. Its should be keep door locked or windows must to be seal all of the times. This is more protections to keep burglary out of the house.

I remember what happened from my moms' old store in South Florida from 8 years ago. Where the man is trying to breaks in progress back of the stock room. The police has been notifications to my mom's house. When she woke up from me by early morning around 2am. Then we drove to her store but, the police cars are waited for us. We opened the door but, the K-9 dogs look for the suspected. He wasn't there at the store. I remember that we saw what happened the bottle is extremely damaged in the stock room and it was stolen the cash register.

We are waited for crime scene is coming at our store to take a pictures some of evidence. We have to clean it up the mess in the stock room. The police are looking for the suspected who took the money & stolen cash registers, too.

In Couple days later but, the police were call us. They has been gotten him for charges as burglary in our store in Miami. So this is all that I have very good memorable from 8 years ago.

Last edited by N830MH; Sep 8, 2008 at 9:42 pm
Old Sep 8, 2008, 10:35 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Just wait until your trip is interrupted because you didn't pay some parking tickets, Comrades.

Or have overdue library books. Or "the computer" says you forgot to pay your taxes.

Be very afraid, Comrades. One day, that wide net of "justice" might snare you instead.
Old Sep 8, 2008, 11:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Landry's President's Club, Marriott Silver, Awesomeness EXPLT
Brass knuckles are illegal to carry onto an aircraft plus they are illegal in New York state...The screener had no choice but to turn him over to a LEO upon the finding of a weapon. I'm not sure what problem the OP has with this??
Cheers
Howie
Old Sep 8, 2008, 11:33 pm

Originally Posted by stockmanjr
Brass knuckles are illegal to carry onto an aircraft plus they are illegal in New York state...The screener had no choice but to turn him over to a LEO upon the finding of a weapon. I'm not sure what problem the OP has with this??
Cheers
Howie
Exactly. The screener found an illegal weapon that is not allowed on aircraft. The screener was required to report the illegal weapon to LEOs. LEOs investigated, and found out that the guy was linked to the burglary. What is the problem?
Old Sep 8, 2008, 11:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by spotnik
Exactly. The screener found an illegal weapon that is not allowed on aircraft. The screener was required to report the illegal weapon to LEOs. LEOs investigated, and found out that the guy was linked to the burglary. What is the problem?
Correct! Its will be very serious condition at checkpoints. I knows those weapons are not allows onboard the aircraft. It could very extremely dangerous for try to hurt someone.
Old Sep 8, 2008, 11:49 pm

If the criminal is stupid enough to have his loot with him, in apparently the same bag as his brass knuckles, he got what he deserved.
Old Sep 9, 2008, 12:05 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Originally Posted by elitetraveler
Is OPs point that if a Meter Maid saw suspected stolen merchandise, belongings in the back seat of a parked car, he/she should let them pass as long as the meter was paid
How would a meter reader discern "suspected" stolen merchandise from "unsuspected" stolen merchandise? What could they expect -- a flashing neon sign reading, "Hot goods 4 cheap"?

Originally Posted by mgilmer
Brass Knuckles are an illegal weapon the same as a firearm.^
You don't say? No argument about confiscating the brass knuckles. Try thinking a little deeper about the situation.

Originally Posted by Spiff
Just wait until your trip is interrupted because you didn't pay some parking tickets, Comrades.

Or have overdue library books. Or "the computer" says you forgot to pay your taxes.

Be very afraid, Comrades. One day, that wide net of "justice" might snare you instead.
Bingo. That's the fundamental point.
Old Sep 9, 2008, 12:21 am

Originally Posted by essxjay
No argument about confiscating the brass knuckles. Try thinking a little deeper about the situation.
I did. If the stolen property was found subsequent to his being arrested for being in possession of the brass knuckles (as in a police inventory of his personal effects--he is in custody awaiting arraignment for possession of these in addition to stolen property charges), it still sounds like a good catch to me. There's nothing in the article you linked attributing the arrest for stolen property to the TSA. The only thing attributed to them is locating the metal knuckles. NYPD should be commended for tracking down the owner of the stolen property.

A news release from the Queens County District Attorney's Office said Rogers presented a backpack for inspection by Transportation Security Administration workers at JFK at 6:15 a.m. Saturday.
"Screening agents detected an image of metal knuckles on the X-ray" and during a physical search, "the metal knuckles were found inside a blue and gray bag," the release said.
Old Sep 9, 2008, 12:24 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tom911
The only thing attributed to them is locating the metal knuckles.
Which they should have confiscated and sent the guy on his way. Period. Full Stop.
Old Sep 9, 2008, 12:25 am

Originally Posted by essxjay
Which they should have confiscated and sent the guy on his way. Period. Full Stop.
I don't pretend to be up on New York State law. It's legal to carry brass knuckles there? Why are they charging him with possession of them? If you follow that rationale should they also let passengers through with guns and drugs. What am I missing here?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.