Search

Introducing....POHA

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2008, 3:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US/*A, Marriott, ICH, Budget, Avis
Introducing....POHA

the newest acronyn from DHS.

I just heard about this on CNN, though I was unable to find any links to reference at this time.

Perhaps my listening comprehension is faulty but it sounded like we are entering a "Period of Heightened Alert" for know other reason than something might happen...olympics, conventions, elections, umm life.

edited to add: first link I could find

Last edited by MarcPHL; Jul 28, 2008 at 3:24 pm Reason: added link to story
Old Jul 28, 2008, 3:58 pm
Suspended

One Robert Johnson posted a link on the TSA blog to a paper about DHS's tilting at windmills:

Quixotic Quest for Invulnerability
Old Jul 28, 2008, 4:09 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
and with the new "poha", some tsa weenie is gonna have to come up with a new color (hmmmmm, i wonder what color drek is? sheesh)
Old Jul 28, 2008, 4:14 pm

Programs: GSA City-Pair; emeritus AS MVPG/UA 1K/US Plat, etc.
Taupe Alert! Everybody panic!

We at the TSA have now decreed that iPhones are dangerous instruments of terror. All iPhones must be deposited in the padded KippyBucket conveniently located immediately before the screening checkpoint. Phones deposited there will be considered as gifts to the TSA, and redistributed among employees to ensure safe, musically-secure communications.

TSA: Proudly securing America's airports from the deadly threat of liquids and gels, since 2006.
Old Jul 28, 2008, 4:32 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by FCYTravis
Taupe Alert! Everybody panic!

We at the TSA have now decreed that iPhones are dangerous instruments of terror. All iPhones must be deposited in the padded KippyBucket conveniently located immediately before the screening checkpoint. Phones deposited there will be considered as gifts to the TSA, and redistributed among employees to ensure safe, musically-secure communications.

TSA: Proudly securing America's airports from the deadly threat of liquids and gels, since 2006.
Don't give the asstards any ideas...
Old Jul 28, 2008, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
The comments on the site are amusing to say the least.

Sounds like more of Skeletor's Gut Feelings® making their way into the news as a scare tactic.
Old Jul 28, 2008, 5:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

So they've got a system but now they can't use it for fear of being seen as being politically motivated. Thank goodness we went through the effort of setting up the system if we're not going to even be willing to actually use it. Then again, the whole system is a crock anyways, so I guess it isn't all that big a deal.
Old Jul 28, 2008, 5:38 pm
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

Beige I can handle but I may get concerned if we get to condition chartreuse.
Old Jul 28, 2008, 9:52 pm

Programs: GE, AA PLT/2.6MM, BR Gld, Royal Carib. DM+, Celebrity Elite, NCL PLT, Princess Elite
Originally Posted by goalie
(hmmmmm, i wonder what color drek is? sheesh)
You know very well that drek is brown.
Old Jul 28, 2008, 11:26 pm

hmmm... too bad it wasn't Level of Heightened Alert. Backwards, that would really explain where this was coming from - a bunch of AHOLs
Old Jul 28, 2008, 11:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OMNIArchist, OMNIArchy!, OMNIIDGAS
oh no the TSA is bleeding! it is THAT time of month again!

(sorry women....)
Old Jul 29, 2008, 6:19 am

Programs: Demoted to gold, Cats protection
Originally Posted by Steph3n
oh no the TSA is bleeding! it is THAT time of month again!

(sorry women....)
Thats OK, given the context you can have that one on us
Old Jul 29, 2008, 6:39 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
I thought condition "orange" was the heightened state of alert... Oh, wait, we've been there for 2+ years.

Chertoff & Hawley are the boys crying "Wolf". Various security officials are out saying that Americans are letting down their guard. Well, duh, after years of crying "Wolf" needlessly, what do they expect?

Fact is, it's an election year, and the current party in power wants to continue to use politics of fear as a way to ensure retention of the office.
Old Jul 29, 2008, 7:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Superguy
The comments on the site are amusing to say the least.

Sounds like more of Skeletor's Gut Feelings® making their way into the news as a scare tactic.
Actually, this term has a bunch of real-world impacts. Declaring a PHOA gives the DHS the authority to harass us at train and subway stations and set up checkpoints on the streets in the area where they have declared a POHA. It also allows the state and local cops to up their harassment, including warrantless roadblacks and suspicionless Terry-like stops on the street, and get reimbursed for it by the federal government. Making this appear more localized and in response to a particular situation or event (such as a political convention) gives this less of a sense of playing politics.

Just think of it as just a little temporary "martial law"...
Old Jul 29, 2008, 8:08 am

Programs: ADL, ACLU, NRA, HRC, NCLR, WBCA
Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
Just think of it as just a little temporary "martial law"...
Well, that certainly makes me feel better.

W T F ???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.